ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 24th, 2018, 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The ACLU's Position on the Second Amendment After Heller
New postPosted: July 9th, 2008, 11:34 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

An Aging Liberal Hippie Douche wrote:
Heller Decision and the Second Amendment
So, we’ve been getting a lot of comments about the ACLU’s stance on the Second Amendment. For those of you who didn’t catch our response in the blog comments, here it is again:

The ACLU interprets the Second Amendment as a collective right. Therefore, we disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision in D.C. v. Heller. While the decision is a significant and historic reinterpretation of the right to keep and bear arms, the decision leaves many important questions unanswered that will have to be resolved in future litigation, including what regulations are permissible, and which weapons are embraced by the Second Amendment right that the Court has now recognized.

As always, we welcome your comments.

Comments can be seen here

Even on their own site, no one agrees with them...

Post subject: Re: The ACLU's Position on the Second Amendment After Heller
New postPosted: July 9th, 2008, 12:38 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the ACLU sues just about anybody and anything on the basis that their clients freedoms were oppressed. Since that has been the case, why are they anti-gun? Why couldn't Heller use them since his freedoms were oppressed. Granted, I will give them kudo's for standing up to the Fed and fighting them on the "Patriot Act" but why do they not help out on firearms cases? [smilie=icon_question.gif]

New postPosted: July 9th, 2008, 12:50 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Because they are not the America Civil Liberties Union. They are the Whatever We Believe we Fight For Union. If THEY don't like it, or don't believe in it, they won't fight for it, whether in the Bill of Rights or not.

don't forget to duck

New postPosted: July 9th, 2008, 12:51 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I would like a list of who funds these whacko's so I can boycott them or refuse service or just sneer and hisss as they go by.

New postPosted: July 9th, 2008, 1:03 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I find it odd that a group like the ACLU which has made its existance supporting the Constitutionand the Bill of Rights denies the number two thing on the Bill of Rights. It's not like they tried to hide the 2nd Amndment..it's right after Freedom of Speech, Press, and Religion.

It's an organization which recognizes everyone of the amendments of the Bill of Rights as individual freedoms, except one. They will take the case of illegal aliens and try to give them "rights," support the "rights" of terrorists in Gitmo, but yet won't stand up for American citizens believing in the very words this countres laws were founded upon.... And they call people who like guns wack-jobs...we can see who is really the nutcases, can't we?

New postPosted: July 9th, 2008, 1:21 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

azrik wrote:
I would like a list of who funds these whacko's so I can boycott them or refuse service or just sneer and hisss as they go by.

Ditto.

New postPosted: July 9th, 2008, 1:32 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

The ACLU is a membership org. that has a lot of small-dollar, individual donors. I'm sure they get some phat checks from George Soros and various defense atty. associations. But they do have some serious grassroots support. Remember, the SCOTUS's own Ruth Bader Ginsburg used to work for them.

New postPosted: July 9th, 2008, 1:56 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Wasn't the ACLU started by Communists in the '20's?

New postPosted: July 9th, 2008, 3:57 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

The ACLU, IMHO, has always just picked and chose which things to stand up for depending on what's popular, gets them in the news, or what they believe in personally. And because of that has always disgusted me.

New postPosted: July 13th, 2008, 1:06 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Funny... the ACLU for years has stood for a woman's right to choose. Weird that they want us to be able to decide to end our own defenseless fetus' life but we can't carry a gun to end the life of some lunatic hell bent on killing us. Thousands more (potential) people are killed by abortions every year than by handguns.

Just for the record, I'm definitely pro-choice... stainless or parkerized, 16" or 24", fixed or collapsible, Eotech or Aimpoint.

New postPosted: July 13th, 2008, 8:31 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Swatdude1 wrote:
Funny... the ACLU for years has stood for a woman's right to choose.

Even funnier that there is no right to choose mentioned anywhere in the Const., but there is a right to keep and bear arms in there. Abortion is an invented right and that ruling completely tramples on the 10th Amendment.

New postPosted: July 13th, 2008, 4:59 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Cant we leave abortion out of this [smilie=icon_rolleyes.gif] It is a religious view point, no matter how you try to dress it up. Telling people what they can and cant do through the window of your religion is not what this country stands for.

New postPosted: July 13th, 2008, 5:22 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I was only pointing out an example of the SCOTUS making up a right that's mentioned nowhere in the Const. and, in fact, directly violates one that is mentioned there. I couldn't care less about the issue beyond that of the SCOTUS legislating from the bench.

mchaco1 wrote:
Cant we leave abortion out of this [smilie=icon_rolleyes.gif] It is a religious view point, no matter how you try to dress it up. Telling people what they can and cant do through the window of your religion is not what this country stands for.

New postPosted: July 13th, 2008, 5:44 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Rick Lee wrote:
I was only pointing out an example of the SCOTUS making up a right that's mentioned nowhere in the Const. and, in fact, directly violates one that is mentioned there. I couldn't care less about the issue beyond that of the SCOTUS legislating from the bench.

mchaco1 wrote:

But your basing all of that on the religious concept that individuality starts at conception

New postPosted: July 13th, 2008, 6:22 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Not to mention(and this should not have to be pointed out on freakin' shooting website), the Constitution does not provide rights to individuals. It puts restrictions on the government. No such thing as a "made up" right.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next