"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Recommendations needed: war belt
New postPosted: May 4th, 2017, 9:18 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Yes, you read that right. No, I'm not planning to head off to Syria. Got them in my neighborhood now.

Seriously, with the weather now warming up I'm planning on more and more time up at Northern Command. My current job at work has me classified as IHO (in home office) so I really don't need to go into our Tempe offices. So, a phone call to have Internet service installed at Northern Command and I am set. Since I work primarily ATL hours (where my current group is based) unless I am on travel I am generally off work by 3PM, 4 at the latest. Since Northern Command is literally at the base of Mingus lots of hiking adventures (did 5 miles on 28 last Saturday).

So here is the scenario. I always take a backpack with us. Want to move a little gear out of it and add some gear to the war belt. Standard items will be whatever pistol I happen to grab, couple extra magazines, two canteens, small IFAK, sustainment-type pouch. Nothing hard core for E&E from the marauding herds of elk and deer or the occasional bear. Everything else goes in the backpack; 3L water, firestarter, 1-2 days rations for "just in case", tarp for quick shelter, the usual stuff a sensible person would carry in the back country.

Oh, and I'll probably wear it hunting now that #1 granddaughter is getting more and more into it.

So, with the scenario, recommendations that won't break the budget? Yes, I've also been reading a similar thread on ARFcom. Would like to hear from the local guys.

Post subject: Re: Recommendations needed: war belt
New postPosted: May 4th, 2017, 10:40 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

surplus GI ALICE kit

New postPosted: May 5th, 2017, 6:34 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Got that along with H-harness, butt pack and a couple old school M16 pouches. You can actually get quite a bit of small stuff in one. Am looking to go a little more modern though I can also attach a Camelbak Thermobak or Armorbak to the H-harness via the D-rings. asu174 had one; I just didn't speak up in time.

New postPosted: May 27th, 2017, 10:03 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

A little late but I got and like the HSGI Slim Grip/Sure Grip padded belt. However I have found I like using one of my 1.5" cobra belts better. They have interior loop and I wear it over a hook trouser belt, duty belt style. I like the rigidity better and it DOES NOT move around.

Anyway here is the battle belt I got and this is the Ebay store I buy from
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HSGI-Slimgrip-S ... 6016.l4276

Here are items to turn your MOLLE gear into belt gear if you chose to go with a cobra belt setup
http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybig ... ular-base/

-Dan

New postPosted: May 27th, 2017, 1:09 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Hey dan...how does that belt stay in place? It doesnt look like it goes through the loops on your pants and I dont see a place for keepers to hook to an inner belt?

New postPosted: May 27th, 2017, 10:07 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I've actually been looking at the HSGI Slimgrip as well as its bigger brother. Like the fact it is US-made. Someone else had commented they used Condor but some of their stuff is hit and miss. In my case it would probably be ok but I'd rather go with US-made and preferably a vet-owned company.

New postPosted: May 30th, 2017, 1:04 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

blue109 wrote:
Hey dan...how does that belt stay in place? It doesnt look like it goes through the loops on your pants and I dont see a place for keepers to hook to an inner belt?

Which belt? The slim grip? It is a battle belt so it stays in place by just friction. The HSGI is pretty sticky and if you tighten it over or just above your pants belt it wont slip down. Like I said though, I like the hook and loop approach with cobra/duty belts. Just feels more secure.

-Dan

New postPosted: May 30th, 2017, 1:08 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

John Kuhns wrote:
I've actually been looking at the HSGI Slimgrip as well as its bigger brother. Like the fact it is US-made. Someone else had commented they used Condor but some of their stuff is hit and miss. In my case it would probably be ok but I'd rather go with US-made and preferably a vet-owned company.

I had a Condor. Fkin sucks. cheaply made and gigantic. These things make you sweat and the bigger they are the more you sweat. Most of the war belts with 3 rows of PALS are too big in my opinion which is why I opted for the slim grip. More often than not I just use a inner/outer belt combo that is built similarly to my battle belt. Or I even rock just my Wilderness Tactical pants belt and clip accessories over it like Tek Lok crap.

-Dan

New postPosted: May 31st, 2017, 8:37 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

That's why I'm still weighing options. Already outlined that at most I'd have the pistol of the day, 2 extra mags, 2 GI canteens, IFAK, maybe a small utility pouch in addition to a buttpack style sustainment pouch. Oh, and maybe a small flashlight and a fixed blade. Gotta make up m mind as some should really stay in or attached to the backpack (earlier gen HAWG).

The backpack is really my pack for Perry or the pits when shooting here at home but since I've not been doing much of that for the oh last 7 or 8 years it has been re-purposed. Loaded right I can easily stay 3 nights in the outback. Since mama is with me on the hikes it's a balance and I'm not sure I can convince her to carry a bigger pack. The one she has is ideal for a mountain bike ride with her brother.

I think another important point is the right inner belt with the warbelt. Normal belt when hiking is a Wilderness. Am looking at the Cobras but can I get the same stiffness as with the Wilderness? I don't want the warbelt flopping around.

New postPosted: June 1st, 2017, 11:57 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Actually sounds like you would have more/larger items on you war belt versus mine. Mine isn't set up for any long term sustainment. Any nutritional sustainment is in a backpack as well as larger med and overnight gear if needed. MY belt is set up to be run in lieu of wearing a chest rig while running and gunning. So pistol, AR mags, pistol mags, blade, dump pouch and IFAK. My mag pouches are stacked as well, HSGI Taco so it frees up some room.

You definitely can get a stiff as hell cobra. The stiffest belt I own is an Original SOE 1.5" cobra with inner loop. That is the one I wear dedicated duty/outer over a hook trouser belt. My battle belt has an HSGI cobra inside of it. It has loop and the interior of the battle belt has hook, so it is solid. The Original SOE is stiffer than the HSGI cobra but the HSGI cobra is plenty stout to hold the battle belt.

Look at maybe the micro molle belts? http://store.volundgearworks.com/index. ... -belt.html
http://www.ronintactics.com/store/c12/Belts.html

-Dan

New postPosted: June 1st, 2017, 9:08 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

You're pointing out exactly what I am trying to avoid and failing at; hanging a bunch of large stuff off of it that should either go in or be attached to the backpack. If I'm going to go that route then I'll just go with AzIDPA's suggestion and rock the ALICE belt and hook the H-harness up. Or get a surplus FLC.

I need to keep this simple and not overthink it. It's the damn German in me.

New postPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 1:13 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Here is how I have it set up. I use the HSGI tacos cause the pistol mag pouches can be used for several different things. May look like things are on top of each other but once around the body it opens up.

HSGI Slim Grip battle belt
HSGI 1.5 cobra belt
HSGI doube decker tacos
G-Code Drop/offset belt slide
Safariland ALS holster w/ RTI hanger
Gerber Ghoststrike
Condor dump pouch
Eleven 10 small IFAK
Eleven 10 TQ holder

-Dan

New postPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 4:20 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

That is the setup I am trying to achieve minus the AR pouches.

Off to see what the HSGI is going to set me back.

New postPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 8:16 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Been looking at that safariland ETS setup. I like the idea of modular attachment points.

New postPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 10:16 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Honestly if I were doing it all over I would have gotten an all G-Code rig with their softshell scorpion pouches.

-Dan