"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 1:24 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

yeah, imstill not sure, minus a super tight chamber, who my g/fs 243 sticks after its fired... but its only on reloads, so that tells me its something with the case.

New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 1:34 pm 
New to AZS

The ammo I have tried has been American eagle, which is the worst. I think those are new or remanufactured. Summit, would not even let me close the bolt. Pmc, is good but pricey and Freedom munition and Fedarm are priced right but are reloads and sticks a little more than I like.
I have some HOrnady match but have not fired any of those yet.

New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 8:33 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

If the Hornady match are new factory ammo give those a try and see if you still have the problem.

I try to fire new factory ammo in a new or rebarreled gun for testing. Has worked well except for a couple of times, one of which was with new Nosler 7mm-08 ammo. Primer were flattened and the firing pin strike had cratered. Tracked this down to the primers Nosler used as a little soft by pulling the cartridge apart and changing the primer and used the same powder and bullet from the factory load.

New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 8:55 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

If your ever up north you can bring the rifle. I reload for 50bmg and have the tools to measure the brass headspace

New postPosted: July 14th, 2016, 2:15 pm 
New to AZS

Thanks for the help guys.
Went to the range today, with the fed arms ammo. First five shots were perfect,chambered fast with fast follow up shots. Then they started sticking.

New postPosted: July 15th, 2016, 9:35 am 
New to AZS

Think I got it figured out. The neck on most of the cases are to long Or not sized right.
I took some 1000 grit sandpaper and polished up some fired brass. Some that chambered fine and some that didn't. Their is are marking inns on the neck on the ones that didn't chamber correctly and very small marks on the ones that did chamber.
So I guess I'm not going to get to shoot reloads without have issues.
Thanks for all the help.

New postPosted: July 15th, 2016, 9:41 am 
New to AZS

Could a gunsmith make the neck area larger so the reloads will chamber?

New postPosted: July 15th, 2016, 10:23 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

produceguy wrote:
Think I got it figured out. The neck on most of the cases are to long Or not sized right.
I took some 1000 grit sandpaper and polished up some fired brass. Some that chambered fine and some that didn't. Their is are marking inns on the neck on the ones that didn't chamber correctly and very small marks on the ones that did chamber.
So I guess I'm not going to get to shoot reloads without have issues.
Thanks for all the help.

Measure your loaded unfired cases........

This is a common problem with some reloads. They were not trimmed to the proper dimensions. You need to measure the case OAL and see if it is 3.910 or a bit shorter. Maximum OAL case length is 3.910 and many cases will also have a slight taper on the outside of the mouth (to help eliminate the problem you seem to be having). A 50 BMG can experience the same problem you are having if the case is too long, except the case in the 50 BMG doesn't stick. The case usually extracts but in the process the case starts to or does separate.

let us know?

New postPosted: July 15th, 2016, 12:06 pm 
New to AZS

I didn't have a good way to measure but next to a ruler thier is about 1 mm difference in the size of brass. All loaded rounds seem to have the same lenght but the fired rounds vary.
Does that mean they are stretching when fired? I took pics and will try to upload them later when my daughter gets home to do it. Lol
Their is a definite size difference thou.

New postPosted: July 15th, 2016, 12:44 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

produceguy wrote:
I didn't have a good way to measure but next to a ruler thier is about 1 mm difference in the size of brass. All loaded rounds seem to have the same lenght but the fired rounds vary.
Does that mean they are stretching when fired? I took pics and will try to upload them later when my daughter gets home to do it. Lol
Their is a definite size difference thou.

You really need to measure them with a caliper. 1mm is about .04 which is a huge amount. What you really need as a start point is to measure the cases before they are fired, with a caliper.

New postPosted: July 23rd, 2016, 2:17 pm 
New to AZS

It's the brass. The neck is sticking. They are to fat. Fired 10 rounds of fed arms and it stuck and 5 rounds of a max HOrnady with no issues other than they are loaded very hot and my shoulder took a beating.
I don't have access to caliper or I would measure them.
Thanks again for your help

New postPosted: July 23rd, 2016, 7:56 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

You should measure the outside diameter of a loaded factory round and compare it to the reloads. could be the brass that flowed forward to make the case longer also made the brass in the neck area thicker, which could also cause sticking and worse, could cause pressures to increase to an unsafe level.
If the brass seems to be in spec a chamber cast can be done to make sure the neck area of the chamber is in spec. Match chambers usually have tighter dimensions than standard SAAMI specs. and usually need to have the case neck thinned.