ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently April 26th, 2018, 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Chiappa 9mm M-1 carbine or 9mm AR?
New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 1:36 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Was thinking on getting an AR 9mm carbine for the girlfriend but than I see this M-1 9mm copy in the store.......thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Chiappa 9mm M-1 carbine or 9mm AR?
New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 8:23 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

brucea4 wrote:
Was thinking on getting an AR 9mm carbine for the girlfriend but than I see this M-1 9mm copy in the store.......thoughts?

There are a bunch of cool 9mm carbines out right now. I have a dedicated 9mm Palmetto State carbine that I love. Can't beat being able to use Glock mags.

New postPosted: July 11th, 2016, 12:00 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Just my .02.

I liked the idea of the Chiappa when I first started looking at another PCC, still do. But the early ones had a lot of plastic parts. I figured, knowing my neurosies, by the time I start with a $500 carbine and swap all the plastic out, I would be up pretty high. I also recently looked at one and saw the added some clunky crap around the bolt, I assume to add weight, and I would not consider one now.

I went with a 9mm AR. Now I built mine about a year and a half ago, so I paid a pretty penny, about a grand. Since then they have gotten way cheaper. PSA is doing cheap dedicated lowers, plus they have cheap top end kits. I have seen some people coming out with halfway decent dedicated 9mms for very close to $500. Plus I think it allows you to fine tune the rifle or pistol the way you want. Plus for a couple bucks more, you can have a Glock compatible lower, which is a huge deal if you want to build a PCC and have handgun compatibility.

I like the idea of 9mm AR so much, I am trying to fit another dedicated lower into the budget to make up,for the wife. She loves mine but would like something a bit more tailored towards her.

New postPosted: July 11th, 2016, 5:45 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I have 2, one is a JR 9mm Carbine (Glock mags, 33 rds.). The only problem I've had was a bad firing pin ( Replaced quickly by JR). Be aware that any metal mag release wears the "slot" in the Glock mags. (JR is working on a plastic replacement) Just a runner!!!. Second is one of the complete Palmetto 9mm kits...w/their 32 rd. mag (UZI/Colt style double feed mag). Mine are used in Carbine completion shooting. Both are fun to shoot. I'd recommend any AR lower that uses Glock mags, even though they are going to wear the mag slot. MAKE SURE you have the correct buffer installed with the AR style carbine. (I settled on the Spike's 9 oz. version).......My shooting buddy bought a 9mm unit that had the original "light" 223 buffer installed, very spotty/jam-o-matic, (installed my "Spikes buffer and 100% so far).. A side note:, I usually use "better" red dots ($$), for the JR, I bought a inexpensive "SightMark" red dot That mounts directly to the Picatinny rail. several thousands of rounds later , still running 100%. (I like the circle/dot mode), bright in the AZ. sun.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New postPosted: July 11th, 2016, 7:27 am 
New to AZS

id go with a AR 9mm that takes glock mags

New postPosted: July 11th, 2016, 10:10 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I like the idea of an AR that uses readily & plentiful Glock mags.....I would prefer a 9mm AR all ready to go from the box. Not interested in a build. Or am I interested in a $2000 Wilson Combat either....

New postPosted: July 12th, 2016, 10:33 am 
New to AZS

brucea4 wrote:
I like the idea of an AR that uses readily & plentiful Glock mags.....I would prefer a 9mm AR all ready to go from the box. Not interested in a build. Or am I interested in a $2000 Wilson Combat either....

check PSA they sell uppers and lowers so you can pick out the ones you want without having to actually build it just connect the 2 halfs and you're ready to rock and semi roll lol

New postPosted: July 16th, 2016, 2:52 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Guzman_hemi wrote:
brucea4 wrote:

check PSA they sell uppers and lowers so you can pick out the ones you want without having to actually build it just connect the 2 halfs and you're ready to rock and semi roll lol

These ATI 9mm carbines are looking good to me......

New postPosted: July 16th, 2016, 9:20 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I have 9mm SBR AR's in both Colt pattern and Glock magazine platforms, each magazine type has their benefits. I was all on on the Glock pattern at first but now I prefer the Colt pattern mags. I only went to the Colt pattern mags because I wanted a left eject 9mm rifle and Stag only makes theirs in the Colt pattern.

The Glock magazine is great if you have a bunch of other Glock stuff, but the Magpul Glock mags don't lock in on either of mine so you are stuck buying $30+ factory Glock mags that will be worn out by the metal mag catch (when worn they still work in a Glock pistol). The Colt pattern mags have a better feeding angle (the rounds sit flat compared to the Glock platform where the rounds are angled up slightly). The ASC Colt platform magazines I am using are $14 each for the 32 round, so they are cheaper than the Korean Glock mags, and they work great with a standard AR mag release. The Colt pattern are a bitch to load, so a Lula loader is required.

If I were buying into my first 9mm carbine today I would likely skip the AR and go to a CZ Scorpion. The CZ has no crap in the face, no buffer tuning issues, and it looks bad ass. The rifle is about $1000 and the mags are $20 each. Some might consider the Sig MPX, but I am not impressed with their gas to the face, the $1500 cost, or the $60 mags.

New postPosted: July 16th, 2016, 7:46 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Surprised they haven't fixed that Glock mag wear problem.....

New postPosted: July 18th, 2016, 1:40 pm 
New to AZS

BroncoAZ wrote:
I have 9mm SBR AR's in both Colt pattern and Glock magazine platforms, each magazine type has their benefits. I was all on on the Glock pattern at first but now I prefer the Colt pattern mags. I only went to the Colt pattern mags because I wanted a left eject 9mm rifle and Stag only makes theirs in the Colt pattern.

The Glock magazine is great if you have a bunch of other Glock stuff, but the Magpul Glock mags don't lock in on either of mine so you are stuck buying $30+ factory Glock mags that will be worn out by the metal mag catch (when worn they still work in a Glock pistol). The Colt pattern mags have a better feeding angle (the rounds sit flat compared to the Glock platform where the rounds are angled up slightly). The ASC Colt platform magazines I am using are $14 each for the 32 round, so they are cheaper than the Korean Glock mags, and they work great with a standard AR mag release. The Colt pattern are a bitch to load, so a Lula loader is required.

If I were buying into my first 9mm carbine today I would likely skip the AR and go to a CZ Scorpion. The CZ has no crap in the face, no buffer tuning issues, and it looks bad ass. The rifle is about $1000 and the mags are $20 each. Some might consider the Sig MPX, but I am not impressed with their gas to the face, the $1500 cost, or the $60 mags.

i agree go with the Scorpion, i dont have experience with their rifle but i have the pistol and i love it, got it for $750 plus the mags costed me $24 at shooters world (only place close by that had em in stock for a decent price) and yea it looks bad ass too lol

New postPosted: October 24th, 2016, 3:19 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Had both, glock mag ar's and colt pattern, I'll take the colt pattern any day of the week