ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently December 14th, 2017, 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Remington 788 with weak ejector?
New postPosted: December 29th, 2016, 6:00 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I have a Remington 788 bolt action rifle cal. 223 that does not want to kick the empties out after the bolt is opened and the empty brass is pulled out of the chamber. Apparently a weak ejector? Is there a good riflesmith that you could recommend to look at my rifle for this problem? Thanks, Buckshot Bill.

Post subject: Re: Remington 788 with weak ejector?
New postPosted: December 29th, 2016, 6:44 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

First thing I'd do if it were mine is locate another ejector as I very seriously doubt the part is still being supplied by Remington. Best place to look would be Numrich Arms. If they don't have it, do a net search. I can't remember the name but their is an outfit that manufactures obsolete Remington parts.

New postPosted: December 30th, 2016, 10:04 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I had one in the late 1970s in 308, left hand. I do remember having to keep the ejector and extractor clean as gunk and brass shaving would build up. Numrich doesn't have the ejector in stock on their website. Looks like the ejector is in the bolt head, has a spring and pin retaining it. I would blast the heck out of it with a cleaning spray and see what happens.
We did this to my son's 700 two elk hunts ago for the same reason.

New postPosted: December 31st, 2016, 10:03 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Redneck, I agree, the trouble with this nice little rifle is the lack of available parts. This was my Dad's rifle and he really liked it -as do I, she's quite an accurate rifle - and I'd like to get it working well again- if for nothing other than sentimental reasons. Thanks for your help. Bill

Leadman, I appreciate the cleaning spray suggestion, and I'll blast away. It can't hurt and may be the answer. Thank you as well. Bill

New postPosted: December 31st, 2016, 10:20 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Bill I had a 788 and almost another. My 788 in 30/30 was sold as I foolishly caught the dreaded disease Magnumitus back in the 70's. Turns out the 30/30 788 action is a favorite of custom rifle builders and today get a premium price. My almost, a 788 in 22-250 I put on lay away at the Grants Department Store. Grants went belly up and closed with me only owing 20 bucks. Never got the rifle or my money back.

New postPosted: January 1st, 2017, 8:55 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I regret getting rid of mine also. Did so to get into muzzle loaders. I do have the 581 Remington left hand bolt action that is very similar to the 788.

New postPosted: January 1st, 2017, 9:35 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

You might want to try to fix it before replacing. It might be stuck because it's dirty (tiny flakes of brass embedded, for example), or the hole might be peened closed, or the spring might be weak or broken. If you need a new spring, maybe a spring from another rifle might work. (700? 600?)

If you press on the ejector, does it move back and then return forward from spring pressure? (Spring is supposed to be strong; might require a lot of pressure to move it; use the tip of a punch or screwdriver.)

Try disassembling the bolt, and removing the ejector to inspect and clean. Blow out the channel with brake cleaner.

New postPosted: May 5th, 2017, 10:13 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Usually it's that crappy extractor that goes T-U on those.

D.

New postPosted: October 31st, 2017, 7:39 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

A friend and I went to Prescott recently and stopped at Prescott Valley Arms to have a look around. I walked out the door (after paying) with an almost new condition 788 left hand in 308 Win. !! Cost me a bit but I am very happy to have found it.
Came with one magazine so I ordered a Numrich replacement from Brownell's. Should be here this week.

New postPosted: October 31st, 2017, 3:45 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

leadman wrote:
A friend and I went to Prescott recently and stopped at Prescott Valley Arms to have a look around. I walked out the door (after paying) with an almost new condition 788 left hand in 308 Win. !! Cost me a bit but I am very happy to have found it.
Came with one magazine so I ordered a Numrich replacement from Brownell's. Should be here this week.

I haven't been there in quite a while, but PV arms was a place you could almost ALWAYS expect to find a hidden jem, and Leadman, you certainly snagged quite a find!
I've heard/read about the lefty 708's but have never even seen one, and being a southpaw myself, I can appreciate what you came up with!
If you can, please post some pics of it.
BB

New postPosted: November 10th, 2017, 7:46 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I haven't posted pictures in quite a while but will make an attempt soon. I also have a Remington 581 left hand bolt action 22lr. Basically made the same as the 788.