"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 25th, 2017, 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Ruger #3 scope problem
New postPosted: September 21st, 2016, 2:21 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I just bought a 34 year old Ruger #3 without a scope but did come with bases and rings. (names or types not determinable.)

I purchased a Vortex Diamondback 4-16x42 scope and took it out for a shoot.

The elevation knob tapped out before I could zero the rifle at 75 yards. (was trying to zero at 100) Ive been given advise to shim it or buy zero MOA bases to fix the problem.

I want some expert advise from this forum. I can't tell if the bases I have are zero or 20MOA, and to be quite honest, don't know what the hell that means anyway.

I've got $900 invested in this rifle and scope and can't get an accurate shot off beyond 25 yards.

HELLLLLLP

Post subject: Re: Ruger #3 scope problem
New postPosted: September 21st, 2016, 5:13 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

first make sure you have the correct bases. one is different than the other.
what bases did you buy? the rings make no difference its the bases that effect the level so to speak.

http://rugerforum.net/optics/43963-3-scope-bases.html

New postPosted: September 22nd, 2016, 10:14 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

The bases came with the rifle and I cannot tell what kind they are. I was hoping there was a particular base out there that might apply more specifically to a Ruger #3. Thought maybe someone on the forum had one and could tell me what they use.

New postPosted: September 22nd, 2016, 10:39 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

gunpoorboy wrote:
The bases came with the rifle and I cannot tell what kind they are. I was hoping there was a particular base out there that might apply more specifically to a Ruger #3. Thought maybe someone on the forum had one and could tell me what they use.

There is its called a "weaver 85 and 86 mounts"

who knows whats on the rifle, if you cant figure it out start from scratch. he could hvae had the wrong mounts on it.

and you could also be mounting the scope wrong. you never need to use shims unless you have junk base's. by the correct stuff and you wont have problems

New postPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 7:36 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Ditto on most advice given above. I am no expert, but, this is what I do.

When I mount a scope, I find the turrets half way
adjustment points by turning both elevation and
windage turrets in one direct until they will not
turn anymore. Then I count the number of clicks
it takes to stop again, while turning them in the opposite direct.
If , let's say, there are 100 clicks from one stop point to the other, I set the
elevation and windage at 50 clicks, the midway point.

Then I mount it in the rifle. I do the above, because, being set at midpoint,
it quickly tells me if there is a major fault with the setup when I fire the first couple of rounds. NOT!! that I expect the point of impact to be close the bullseye, but, if I am a couple FEET off, I start looking into a MOUNTING PROBLEM.

The quickest way to get a scope on target, is to put it in a shooting sled, mount, vice, whatever that will maintain a really good stable rifle/pistol confinement. fFre the first round with the cross hair on the bullseye, then, keeping the cross hair on the bullseye, while confined in the sled, adjust the cross hairs so they are move t the centered on the first bullet hole. After that, you should be acquiring impact where you point the cross hairs. Of course some fine tuning may be required.

As to your query on MOA, first, that is an abbreviation for Minute of Angle.

Basically 1 moa is 1/60th of a degree which translates into 1 inch deviation of elevation, or windage, from muzzle to target at 100 yards. So, if your scope has 1/4 inch turret click adjustments,... four clicks would equal 1moa or a one inch adjustment.

Now, as to your question on a 20 moa base, the above info should make it self evident. But, simply put,... a 20moa base would deviate from bullseye impact by 20 inches HIGH. I have never needed one, but, these bases are used to elevate the point of impact of a scope for very long distance shooting by allowing the scope to have the elevation knob set very low ,to get on target at 100 yds,... which,... allows plenty of elevation adjustment for the very long distance shots. Which is where some scopes fall short. Bottom line, a 20moa base gets you more long distance adjustment out of a scope than you probably wouldn't get without such a base. I this type base is being suggested to you, it is a simple but incorrect solution to a mounting problem resulting in your current Point Of Impact being very low.

There is a rather extensive learning curve to properly mounting a scope. But,
most procedures are personal choices, rather than one being right or wrong.

Sadly, most mistakes aren't noticed by some, and I have seen many who have been shooting with improperly mounted scopes for years and no severe problems. I would assume there are books, but, I would ask someone you trust to give you some hands on advice. Mounting a scope, is like riding a bicycle,...once you get it, you have it for life! 8)

JM.02O

VOTE TRUMP !!!

"And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutally pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." --- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by leverman on September 24th, 2016, 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

New postPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 7:59 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

heres the pdf file with the part numbers.
http://www.weaveroptics.com/downloads/2 ... sChart.pdf
look ruger then look #3

New postPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 11:41 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Could it be that the rings were installed in reverse order?

No Excreta Taures.

New postPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 12:32 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Larry D. wrote:
Could it be that the rings were installed in reverse order?

Probably not because rings are generally if not always the same height . The bases are what have different heights.

New postPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 3:36 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Every time one of you sends a note--I learn something. Thanks