ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently March 23rd, 2017, 4:57 pm


All times are UTC - 7 hours


Custom Search





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 9th, 2016, 1:23 pm 
Offline
New to AZS

Joined: August 23rd, 2015, 12:33 pm
Posts: 36
I have a zel custom 50 upper. I have shot about 200 rounds down range and depending on which ammo I use the brass swells enough to stick in chamber and I have to beat on the bolt or use a rod to remove case.
Pmc is the best to extract along with freedom munitions 50 but I still have to remove my cheek from stock to hit the bolt open and I don't want to have to do that.
Any suggestions?
Can I use a embedding paste on the chamber? Thanks for any help.

Zel custom just told me to use Pmc. At about 50 bucks per 10, that's not gonna cut it for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 9th, 2016, 1:59 pm 
Offline
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Joined: December 4th, 2007, 1:22 pm
Posts: 2584
Location: Desert Hills
produceguy wrote:
I have a zel custom 50 upper. I have shot about 200 rounds down range and depending on which ammo I use the brass swells enough to stick in chamber and I have to beat on the bolt or use a rod to remove case.
Pmc is the best to extract along with freedom munitions 50 but I still have to remove my cheek from stock to hit the bolt open and I don't want to have to do that.
Any suggestions?
Can I use a embedding paste on the chamber? Thanks for any help.

Zel custom just told me to use Pmc. At about 50 bucks per 10, that's not gonna cut it for me.


Is all the ammo factory or is some reloaded?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 9th, 2016, 2:14 pm 
Offline
New to AZS

Joined: August 23rd, 2015, 12:33 pm
Posts: 36
They are all reloads. Thai is a single bolt action upper also.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 9th, 2016, 2:28 pm 
Offline
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Joined: December 4th, 2007, 1:22 pm
Posts: 2584
Location: Desert Hills
Are you trimming the cases?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 9th, 2016, 3:26 pm 
Offline
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Joined: July 1st, 2014, 1:58 am
Posts: 256
my g/f's 243 has this issue. sholder is good, trimmed to length, everything is as perfect as the books say. i can load/unload it (bolt action) and its smooth, but the sec i fire it, it takes some muscle to open the bolt. spent cases are fine (OAL wise). i just think her rifle might have a really tight chamber.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 9th, 2016, 3:51 pm 
Offline
New to AZS

Joined: August 23rd, 2015, 12:33 pm
Posts: 36
They are reloads but I didn't reload them. Fed arms and freedom only use once fired 50 brass for their reloads.
I can load a round, chamber and unchamber with no problem but when fired the brass sticks. I can pop out the empty brass and chamber it again and it sticks.

Mp5guy sounds like the same issue


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 9th, 2016, 4:42 pm 
Offline
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Joined: December 4th, 2007, 1:22 pm
Posts: 2584
Location: Desert Hills
produceguy wrote:
They are all reloads. Thai is a single bolt action upper also.


Single loading with standing...if it was shot in a 50 BMG and it was a little out of time or hrad space...or both.....the case is toooo long.

Measure the cases to be sure you are not sticking them in the leade.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 9th, 2016, 5:05 pm 
Offline
New to AZS

Joined: August 23rd, 2015, 12:33 pm
Posts: 36
delta6 wrote:
produceguy wrote:
They are all reloads. Thai is a single bolt action upper also.


Single loading with standing...if it was shot in a 50 BMG and it was a little out of time or hrad space...or both.....the case is toooo long.

Measure the cases to be sure you are not sticking them in the leade.


Delta6, please tell me more. I do not no anything about headspaceing or timeing.
If I can chamber the round unfired and extract it unfired with no issue would the case be stretching after fired?
I will measure some empty brass full lenght and some unfired brass and see if their is a difference.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 9th, 2016, 6:07 pm 
Offline
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Joined: August 22nd, 2012, 7:28 am
Posts: 175
sounds like pressure. i would get rid of the reloads that you didn't do.

do you reload at all?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 7:24 am 
Offline
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Joined: January 2nd, 2010, 9:35 pm
Posts: 1396
Sounds like the reloads might be loaded a little too hot. Post where you are located at and maybe an experienced reloader will offer to check out the before and after dimensions of your ammo. Bring the gun also so the chamber can be inspected.
I'll look at it and I am located in North Phoenix.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 8:45 am 
Offline
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Joined: December 4th, 2007, 1:22 pm
Posts: 2584
Location: Desert Hills
produceguy wrote:
delta6 wrote:
produceguy wrote:
They are all reloads. Thai is a single bolt action upper also.


Single loading with standing...if it was shot in a 50 BMG and it was a little out of time or hrad space...or both.....the case is toooo long.

Measure the cases to be sure you are not sticking them in the leade.


Delta6, please tell me more. I do not no anything about headspaceing or timeing.
If I can chamber the round unfired and extract it unfired with no issue would the case be stretching after fired?
I will measure some empty brass full lenght and some unfired brass and see if their is a difference.


To keep it simple (quick version), timing and headspace (and at times a worn chamber) can regulate whether a 50 BMG will not fire, as to not have a stoppage, change rate of fire or blow itself up. The timing can be off a bit as can the headspace and the gun will still function. When the timing or the headspace or both are out of operational parameters and the gun is still functioning, it is possible that case stretching, case separation and/or neck stretching will occur, yes even on the first firing.

So, how does this relate to your problem. If your cases (case OAL, not cartridge OAL) are too long, some of your case may actually, upon being chambered, be into the leade or even crowding the end of the barrel. You will still be able to chamber a round and even eject that round as long as it is not fired. Once that round has been fire, since the case is too long to start with, any increase in size will have the possibility to flow the brass into the leade or at this point the barrel, sans a stuck or sticky case to eject.

This may not be your problem, since I have not seen it, but in my experience I have seen this problem many many times and yes, with once fired brass. Once fired means nothing when it comes to 50 caliber, if it was fired in a 50 BMG....once.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 9:45 am 
Offline
New to AZS

Joined: August 23rd, 2015, 12:33 pm
Posts: 36
leadman wrote:
Sounds like the reloads might be loaded a little too hot. Post where you are located at and maybe an experienced reloader will offer to check out the before and after dimensions of your ammo. Bring the gun also so the chamber can be inspected.
I'll look at it and I am located in North Phoenix.


That sounds great,I'm in casa grande. I will pm you. Thank you.
I have had DAn the owner of On SIte SHooting here in town look at it but we couldn't figure it out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 9:52 am 
Offline
New to AZS

Joined: August 23rd, 2015, 12:33 pm
Posts: 36
Thank you delta6. Good info. Never got into reloading, to scared too. Lol.
One thing I have noticed when clambering a round, the last 1/4 inch or so of the round takes a little muscle to push it in to close the bolt.
This is my only bolt action rifle, so I don't know if that's normal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 10:28 am 
Offline
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Joined: July 1st, 2014, 1:58 am
Posts: 256
i wonder if the reloads had the shoulders pushed back to much, or not enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sticking 50 bmg brass
New postPosted: July 10th, 2016, 10:33 am 
Offline
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Joined: December 4th, 2007, 1:22 pm
Posts: 2584
Location: Desert Hills
mp5guy wrote:
i wonder if the reloads had the shoulders pushed back to much, or not enough.

You make a very good point. My concern reading the story is why are the cases sticking a bit before firing and after firing?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group