ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently May 25th, 2017, 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: 10/22 firing issues
New postPosted: June 13th, 2016, 5:19 pm 
New to AZS

Anyone ever have a aftermarket guide rod cause the rifle not to go into full battery? Ended up getting to test out my 10/22 takedown after getting my trigger group done and a new guide rod/charging handle.

Bolt wasn't fully seating forward, extractor wasn't lining up?
Would manually push it forward.
Click
Rack it again, Bang then it would repeat.
Some times it would run a whole bx25 other times it would be off an on and once almost a whole mag wouldn't run.

So I switched the stock one back in and didn't seem to have the issue, but couldnt test as much as I would have liked as it wasn't a planned trip and didn't have extra ammo.

Any ideas, or is it most likely the guiderod?

Brimstone tier2 trigger job
On tactical charging handle / guide rod
Timber creek extended mag lever
Everything else is stock.

Thanks!

Update 6/14 took it back out this morning with stock guide rod, started having the same issue for the most part.
Seems like it's going into battery now with the stock guide rod but still having issues.

Chamber a round
Click
Drop mag and charge insert mag
Bang, it chambers a new round
Click

Thinking it may be a trigger issue, will try contacting brimstone later to see what he thinks.

Last edited by Azdonald on June 14th, 2016, 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 10/22 out of battery
New postPosted: June 13th, 2016, 6:39 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

it sounds like the guide rod, or spring may not be right, but did you try other mags too?

New postPosted: June 13th, 2016, 7:39 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

that comes with 3 springs. What color spring are you using?

New postPosted: June 14th, 2016, 2:54 am 
New to AZS

Cool-Arrow wrote:
it sounds like the guide rod, or spring may not be right, but did you try other mags too?

Yeah 4 bx25''s and one regular 10.

azrik wrote:
that comes with 3 springs. What color spring are you using?

I tried it with both the medium and the heavy can't think of the colors off the top of my head right now.

New postPosted: June 14th, 2016, 6:38 am 
New to AZS

Update 6/14 took it back out this morning with stock guide rod, started having the same issue for the most part.
Seems like it's going into battery now with the stock guide rod but still having issues.

Chamber a round
Click
Drop mag and charge insert mag
Bang, it chambers a new round
Click

Thinking it may be a trigger issue, will try contacting brimstone later to see what he thinks.

Post subject: Re: 10/22 firing issues
New postPosted: June 14th, 2016, 9:02 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Make sure your chamber is sparkly clean and that a round can drop freely into it.
If there a slightest amount of resistance to the round seating fully and if the round moves forward even minutely when the FP hits it, all the striking energy will be absorbed and you get a ftf. No dry fires right? Make sure there's no a strike mark on the edge of the chamber where the metal has peened into the chamber.

New postPosted: June 14th, 2016, 10:18 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

^^^

If the problem occurs with either part installed, then my first guess would be dirt. Clean the holy hell out of everything. Any tiny speck of lead or unburned powder inside the chamber that would keep the cartridge from going all the way in?

Check to make sure the extractor is fully over the rim. Check under the extractor for any tiny speck of dirt that would keep it from moving into its proper position.

New postPosted: June 14th, 2016, 11:52 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I dont have any aftermarket stuff on the 7 or 8 10-22s I have. I can say I shot hundreds of thousands of rounds through them over the years. and dont have any problems. I also dont clean them occasionally I clean the barrel but thats about it.
one thing I have noticed is that the newer ammo (last 5 years worth I have a ton of misfires) compared to my extensive stock of 70/80s and 90's 22 ammo.

having built 4 10-22s actions (from scratch not 80%'s) and 1 22mag along with trigger groups including bolts and firing pins, I dont have any problem with those either.

I am going to guess you have a bind or a bad finish somewhere in the firing pin which is really just a flat chuck of thin steel.
take a honing stone (indian stone)and polish it up really nice, I have seen a few aftermarket parts and they have burrs on the edges. also in the bolt where the firing pin goes make sure thats nice a smooth as well. that one usually has some pretty crappy finishing from the factory and if you have aftermarket parts just a 0.001 of extra stock and a bad finish will make it so it binds up a tad causing a reduced amount of force hitting the rim of the round.

New postPosted: June 14th, 2016, 12:14 pm 
New to AZS

Never thought dirt could cause this many issues but it's highly possible, bought it used guy said he rarely shot it didn't think about going over it to much as it's a .22

but after reading what your guys posted Im in the process of cleaning the barrel and had to use a lot of force to get a cleaning rod through because of the lead build up, bullet would only freely go in the barrel about half way without force.

No strike marks, and I dry fired maybe 5 times on my thumb after getting the trigger back. Unsure about previous owner.

Barrels done now gonna go over the bolt/extractor.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

I'll update after I take it out again.

New postPosted: November 19th, 2016, 5:49 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I had lots of feeding problems with mine using the BX25 magazines. I read on the interweb about same problems so took them apart and polished the feed lips and lightly lubed magazine spring with Dupont Teflon aerosol. Worked for me and hope this helps.

New postPosted: November 19th, 2016, 7:40 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I don't know if I missed it but did you try new mags and ammo?

New postPosted: November 20th, 2016, 7:58 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Quote:
I don't know if I missed it but did you try new mags and ammo?

The 10 round mags seem to be the most reliable . I have also had problems with the BX 25's .

Hutch