"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 24th, 2018, 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: R1A1 stuck case
New postPosted: May 17th, 2015, 10:40 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Went out to the range to shoot my M1 Garand and R1A1 today and had a case separation on the R1A1. I was shooting steel cased Tula and the case rim separated and the rest of the case is stuck in the chamber. I never had any issues with this rifle previously. Any suggestions on how to get the case out of the chamber? Thanks in advance.

Joe

" I will ask permission of no man for that which has been granted to me by God and the Constitution"

Post subject: Re: R1A1 stuck case
New postPosted: May 17th, 2015, 11:48 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Wooden dowel rod long enough to slide an empty cartridge over it so you are less likely to split the wood when you tap it out

If this was just blatantly off-topic, I wouldn't have done anything, but you put it in the classified ads...

New postPosted: May 17th, 2015, 12:31 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

LINK

It could have been a bad round but I would check your rifle for excessive headspace just in case.

"Only repeated, multiplied oppressions placing it beyond all doubt that their rulers had formed settled plans to deprive them of their liberties, could warrant the concerted resistance of the people against their government" -J.A.

New postPosted: May 17th, 2015, 1:29 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Thanks guys I will try the dowel and if that fails I can make a tool like is in the picture on my lathe. When this thing want off it blew the bottom of the magazine out and bulged the sides. I'm thinking the bolt wasn't all the way closed, pretty scary. I'm going to check head space before I fire it again. Its an Imbel received that only has had 20 rounds through it since new. Anyone have a head space gauge?

Joe

" I will ask permission of no man for that which has been granted to me by God and the Constitution"

New postPosted: May 17th, 2015, 1:35 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

junkman1967 wrote:
Thanks guys I will try the dowel and if that fails I can make a tool like is in the picture on my lathe. When this thing want off it blew the bottom of the magazine out and bulged the sides. I'm thinking the bolt wasn't all the way closed, pretty scary. I'm going to check head space before I fire it again. Its an Imbel received that only has had 20 rounds through it since new. Anyone have a head space gauge?

Joe

IMO hit up AZEX
99% of what I know about fals I learned from D.

"Only repeated, multiplied oppressions placing it beyond all doubt that their rulers had formed settled plans to deprive them of their liberties, could warrant the concerted resistance of the people against their government" -J.A.

New postPosted: May 17th, 2015, 1:37 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Joe

New postPosted: May 17th, 2015, 1:38 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Oops double tap. Ugh

Yeah I will hit up D. I need to get with him to do my trust anyway. Thx again

Joe

New postPosted: May 17th, 2015, 1:46 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Russian steel case is known to perform the way yours did. It's well established on FalFiles. I think the Russian steel is shitty and the tilting bolt rips it apart.

That said, I got a few rounds of it and plan to shoot it on grenade setting. It won't move the case so nothing should blow up.

I would only shoot brass cased ammo on auto in a FAL. You got a nice rifle, may as well treat it right.

New postPosted: May 17th, 2015, 4:57 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Yeah I'm done with this steel cased crap. Do you have a good hand load for an FAL?

New postPosted: May 17th, 2015, 5:07 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I don't have any loads, I'd like to in the future. Supposedly 2750 fps with a 150ish bullet is the sweet spot.

New postPosted: May 18th, 2015, 3:40 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Every Garand owner needs one of these:

Stuck case removal tool.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New postPosted: May 18th, 2015, 6:24 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I need to get one just in case I have an issue with the Garand.

I have a bunch of 147g M80 pulls, maybe I will load them for the FAL. I never had a rifle with an adjustable gas system so I may have to tinker with it unless there is a standard setting?

Thanks for all the help. I am going to order a stuck case extractor from Amazon and get the head space checked. I'm pretty sure it was just the Tula steel cased ammo that caused the issue, but I want to be sure.

New postPosted: May 23rd, 2015, 10:45 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Today I fired some brass case thru my DSA Stg58. All was well. Then I tried shooting steel cased Wolf on grenade setting. Well after 2 very stuck cases I said screw it. If the rifle was on auto it would've done the same thing that happened to the OP's rifle - the case head could be ripped off.