"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 23rd, 2018, 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Canik TP9 shoots low
New postPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 9:08 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Hey Fellas, I took out my tp9 last weekend and was a bit disappointed... The gun kept shooting low, and even had two others have a crack at it and same thing... I guess there are supposed to be different front sights in the case, but since I bought the pistol used they are MIA.. I haven't contacted Century yet, I did contact Cajun guns in LA. as I found a thread where they worked on Caniks.. but that came back a negative....

Anybody have one that you may have no use for the short front sight and may want to sell it?? I guess the sights off a Walther p99 would work also but I don't know if they have different size ones...

any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks

Post subject: Re: Canik TP9 shoots low
New postPosted: January 24th, 2015, 11:02 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Take a file to the range. File a little off, shoot. Repeat until your shots hit your point of aim. Cold blue. Done.

L. Mike

"The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle,
anywhere, at any time, and with utter recklessness." R.A.H.

New postPosted: January 24th, 2015, 11:22 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

File down the front sight, and, or, load up the heaviest bullets made for the caliber,... heavy bullet may do it if not to far off,... file will work if you have enough site to file!

"And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutally pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." --- Thomas Jefferson

New postPosted: January 24th, 2015, 9:05 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

This will sound stupid... but.. I am filing the bottom correct?.. the part that contacts the slide...

New postPosted: January 24th, 2015, 10:38 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

safado wrote:
This will sound stupid... but.. I am filing the bottom correct?.. the part that contacts the slide...

I imagine that you would be better served by filling the top (the part you aim with).

New postPosted: January 25th, 2015, 6:14 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

safado wrote:

There are no stupid questions, as they say,... but, by golly, I would make the guess you just came pretty close. 8)

No, sir,... you file down the top of the front sight, this will bring the barrel up, allowing your point of impact to rise as well.

Now,... you could file the bottom of the front sight, which would accomplish the same results,... but, eventually you would cause the dovetail base to be so loose it would become useless, or, if it was staked, you would not get through the first filing.

Stick to filing the top ,... life is to short! 8)

Oh,.. if the shine from filing bugs you, check out MidwayUSA or Brownells,... they have some quick, easy and good GUN BLACK in a bottle, cheap.

imsm 8)

"And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutally pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." --- Thomas Jefferson

New postPosted: January 25th, 2015, 10:19 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Go to the range, file off the top of the front sight to raise the point of impact. File off too much and you're screwed; then you have to buy a new front sight.

Two tips:

1 - Use "the Magic Sight Formula" to determine how much you need to file. Here is an example: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13093/GunTechdetail/Sight_Correction_Calculator
- Enter the amount of correction needed (distance between point of aim and center of the group you are getting)
- Enter the distance between the front sight and the rear sight.
- Enter the distance to the target at which you shot your low group.
You will find the amount that you need to file off is measured in hundredths of an inch. For example, if your gun shoots one inch low at 7 yards, and you have a 5" sight radius, you need to file off only 2 hundredths of an inch. It helps if you have both a fine-tooth file and a caliper.

2 - To keep the top of the front sight square, hold the gun upside down with the front sight resting on the file, and the rear sight resting on a smooth surface, like a granite countertop, or (if you are going to the range), one of those flexible plastic cutting boards. Instead of holding the gun still and moving the file, hold the file still and move the gun.

New postPosted: January 28th, 2015, 6:26 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Once in awhile I read a nice little gem on this site,... thanks milquetoast!