ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 24th, 2018, 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Scope rings too tight?
New postPosted: January 12th, 2015, 5:24 pm 
New to AZS

I took my Dad out to shoot his new Ruger 10/22 and he has a decent (nothing special) scope that he bought because it fits the Takedown model that he has well and allows him to store it in the backpack/bag it is stored in. I am experienced enough with sighting in a rifle that we know what we were doing in terms of the MOA math and other basics. But when we would start to get it close to on target all of a sudden it would start to spray of the paper and we would have to adjust again, other than it being a faulty scope would anyone have any suggestions about why this may happen? I had a friend suggest maybe the scope rings where too tight but wanted a 2nd opinion before I re-mount the scope.

Post subject: Re: Scope rings too tight?
New postPosted: January 12th, 2015, 5:33 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

What is the make of the scope?
Is the receiver takedown ring tightened against the barrel?
Are the scope rings/mounts tight (I don't mean too tight, I mean not loose) ? Is the scope base tight?
Are you using the same ammunition for every shot? What kind of ammo?

New postPosted: January 12th, 2015, 7:14 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

If the scope rings are tight, maybe it's the base that's loose.

New postPosted: February 7th, 2015, 1:43 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I had an issue similar to yours once. I had purchased a new production Winchester 1895 in 405win and it was a take down model. At first the take down was so tight from the factory that I had not taken it down being afraid I was going to break something, so I left it alone. I first sighted the rifle with the factory open sights and the rifle shot tight groups. I then had an idea to install a rear receiver peep sight using the factory drilled holes that were provided on the side of the receiver. I then tested the rifle in this configuration and the rifle shot really well. Then I decided to attempt to break down the rifle again and I finally got it apart. After taking it down a couple times it started to loosen up and was now easier to break down and re-assemble. When I went to shoot it again at paper I noticed that the group had moved some what and the rifle was not holding the tight groups that it had done in the past before I had broke it down into two pieces.
I came to the conclusion that the take down feature had hurt the accuracy of the rifle using a rear sight mounted on the receiver. The rifle still shot consistent as long as I only used the factory sights that were both mounted on the barrel alone. Since I only wanted to use a rear receiver sight design on this type of rifle I decided to sell the rifle and purchase another one that did not have the two piece take down design. Problem solved. :D

New postPosted: February 7th, 2015, 4:11 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Uh, the first thing I noticed about the takedown is you can move the barrel around even with the nut tight. I saw that at the store, but still wanted the gun. When aiming with flip up sights, it doesn't matter cause they are mounted to the barrel.
I did not buy my rifle to use with optics. That is unless I can find a mini red dot that I can attach to the barrel.
I'm sure you can put a optic on it, but your going to need a zero fit on that barrel and bore.
I can't remember MOA terms, but just think about a barrel moving 1/16" and follow that line out to 100 yards. Your prabably off center 3 foot way out there.
I feel like the best way to mount an optic on one of these would be to the barrel using a pistol scope.