ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 17th, 2018, 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: How do I remove an anodize finish?
New postPosted: December 4th, 2014, 8:58 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

This is my third S&W anodized scandium/aluminum framed revolver that (as with the previous two) is beginning to suffer from holster wear. Just a couple of sharp edges, for now, but, I have been here before and I know what is coming next.

Normally I don't get excited about such, but that is mostly with a blued steel finish. Actually, to be perfectly honest, I like the way a blue steel wears over the years.

But for some reason, wear on S&W anodized scandium/aluminum frames just irritates the hell out of me.

Sooo,... I called S&W and got a very unenthusiastic customer service agent that told me, if I really wanted to remove the anodized finish, "ACETONE was the only chemical/acid he THOUGHT", would do the job.

Sooo,... not being impressed with the conviction in his voice, I thought I would ask for first hand experiences (if any) of AZSHOOTERS who have chemically removed an anodized finish from a scandium/aluminum S&W frame.

I have considered 'bead blasting', but for some reason, aluminum just doesn't strike me as a cooperative metal for such invasive work. I just get a vision of a soft spot on the surface being removed a tad too much. [smilie=icon_eek.gif]

Sooo,... if anyone has any experience, I sure would like to hear from you?

thanks in advance, 8)

"And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutally pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." --- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by leverman on December 4th, 2014, 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How do I remove an anodize finish?
New postPosted: December 4th, 2014, 9:27 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Oven cleaner. (or most anything containing sodium hydroxide). I wouldn't jump straight to lye, to protect the underlying surface, unless you really know what you're doing.

Might have to research to make sure it don't harm the scandium. Should be fine on titanium (within reason. Rinse it with plenty of water once the finish is gone).

Oh, and one more thing.

There exist several chemicals designed to strip anodize, but are buffered to protect the substrate. I think caswells sells a few of them.

New postPosted: December 4th, 2014, 9:58 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I've used oven cleaner with success on an aluminum frame gun (Colt LW Commander). Don't know about other metals.

If it's just holster wear/high spots, consider touching it up with Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black.

New postPosted: December 4th, 2014, 10:02 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Acetone will not do anything to the anodize except remove any oil on it. As was previously mentioned caustic etch or Acid etch are the ways to remove it, Titanium and or Scandium are tricky and certain etching types will discolor the alloy. I would not recommend a home remedy to strip anodize as its nasty and unpredictable. You may damage the material or un-evenly remove it. Of course abrasive things such as glass bead will remove it. Keep in mind that anodize it not just a coating like paint but is a electro chemical process that bonds with the metal and can actually build it up dimensionally. Be Careful with that expensive revo.

New postPosted: December 4th, 2014, 4:01 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Dumb idea but why not just take it to someone who does paint based gun type coatings and have the whole think coated in a color you desire and don't worry about how to safely remove the Anodize.

New postPosted: December 5th, 2014, 5:31 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I see the wack jobs who always disregard a threads 'subject' and purpose, are still alive and well on AzShooter!

Reminds me of the threads by members wanting opinions on specific weapons, by actual owners,... only to get some jackass trying to pitch a Glock at him which had nothing to do with the OP's post.

Oh well, there's always one in the crowd.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, that dealt with my question!

"And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutally pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." --- Thomas Jefferson

New postPosted: February 21st, 2015, 6:14 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Location: Phuk roof top voting machines. My radical right wing extreemists and I are moving on to Guillotines
leverman wrote:
I see the wack jobs who always disregard a threads 'subject' and purpose, are still alive and well on AzShooter!

Reminds me of the threads by members wanting opinions on specific weapons, by actual owners,... only to get some jackass trying to pitch a Glock at him which had nothing to do with the OP's post.

Oh well, there's always one in the crowd.

yep there is one in every crowd and you are ours. Bitchtard that is. You cry about everything. Most folks give up trying to help you because you have no grace. All ways looking for someone to phuk for your reason of the day never giving a shirt that someone took the time to try to help you even if they can't read your screwed up mind.

Have faith. We are not all like you, I bet most would still piss on you if you were on fire. Even though you would bitch about the temp or smell of the lifesaving liquid falling on your head.

New postPosted: February 22nd, 2015, 3:09 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

leverman wrote:

Oh well, there's always two in the crowd.

New postPosted: February 22nd, 2015, 3:50 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Oven cleaner will get it off. Just make sure you neutralize the oven cleaned with a soap and water bath.
When your done, keep in mind you need something to protect that aliminum. I had a slick freekin Beretta semi auto 12 gauge that got a scratch in the upper reciever. I cleaned the gun and put back in its bag untill the next time I needed it. A few months later I went to go shoot clay and found a nasty pit where the scratch was.

New postPosted: February 25th, 2015, 9:31 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

http://www.instructables.com/id/Removin ... and-Easil/

" I will ask permission of no man for that which has been granted to me by God and the Constitution"

New postPosted: February 25th, 2015, 9:55 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

junkman1967 wrote:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Removing-Anodizing-From-Aluminum-Quickly-and-Easil/

Cool! Thanks!

New postPosted: February 25th, 2015, 9:58 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

junkman1967 wrote:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Removing-Anodizing-From-Aluminum-Quickly-and-Easil/

---------------------------

Wow,... now that's impressive. Put the link in my file.

I have all the info I need, now!

I just need to get up my nerve to tear down my pistol, not a chore I look forward to.

thanks to all!!!

Last edited by leverman on February 25th, 2015, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New postPosted: February 25th, 2015, 10:18 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Glad to help. :)

" I will ask permission of no man for that which has been granted to me by God and the Constitution"