It is currently May 23rd, 2017, 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Re: Gunsmith wanted to cure Kel-Tec PF9
New postPosted: August 19th, 2014, 3:37 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

milquetoast wrote:
Sent the pistol to Galloway just now. Their deal is $50/hour, for however many hours it takes, plus any parts, plus I pay for shipping both ways. I sent it Fed Ex Next Day, $56.20 one way, so with everything I have spent so far, I am going to spend more than the cost of a new gun to get this thing working, but now it's personal, dammit. This SOB will work.

I'll let you know the final outcome, for those who give a rat's Michelle.

PS -- Took it to a Fed Ex store (Shea and 92nd, approximately), and the hoplophobes hyperventilated, and may even have wet their pants, when I said the word "pistol." "It's prohibited!" Well, actually it's restricted; there's a difference. "You can't send a gun to an individual!" Understood; I am sending it to a Federal Firearms Licensee. "Yeah, but we can't pack it!" Fine; give me a box; I'll pack it. "The only way you can send it to an FFL is with a prepaid shipping label!" OK, you just made that up. You know what? Never mind. I'll just go to another Fed Ex location.

Good luck. You are putting more work into a pf9 than I would have.

Funny thing about that FedEx store. Sounds like you are lucky they didn't call the cops on you!

“As a general matter … a State’s failure to protect an individual against private violence simply does not constitute a violation of the Due Process Clause.” DeShaney v. Winnebago County Dep’t of Social Servs.(1989).

New postPosted: August 19th, 2014, 5:38 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I think I would've posted it for sale for $150 with a specific disclaimer about the known issues, someone would've been happy to take it on for that price and you would've been rid of it. The other option would have been to sell it as parts on the KTOG forum, once again to be rid of it.

New postPosted: August 19th, 2014, 7:41 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I worried about my makeover too but they only charged me one hour...think the total came out about $160 plus the shipping. When I got my PF9 back I felt it was worth it....well other than that it didn't come that way from Kel-Tec in the first place...

New postPosted: August 19th, 2014, 8:42 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

As an FFL, I ship handguns all the time, $30, USPS. Sorry you had to go the FedEx route....

L. Mike

"The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle,
anywhere, at any time, and with utter recklessness." R.A.H.

Post subject: Re: Gunsmith wanted to cure Kel-Tec PF9 UPDATE
New postPosted: August 29th, 2014, 2:37 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Well, got the haunted pistol back from Galloway on Wednesday. Took it to Scottsdale Gun Club today (Friday).
Galloway only charged me $50, but shipping there and back was $120! Jaybus!

Started off promising. Four mags of Federal 115 FMJ, no problem. That's new; that's good.

One mag (7 rounds) of Hornady FTX 115, no problem. One mag of Speer Gold Dot 124, no problem. Then tried Winchester Ranger 147. Failure to feed at round four. Bummer. Now one failure in 21 is a big improvement; it had been 100% FTF with JHP before, and it was a new type of malfunction -- nose up instead of nosedive. Still, it's not good enough to bet my life on.

I'm into the damn thing for probably $600 by now, and still not ready to start carrying it for self defense. Will give up on the Ranger, and do some more testing with FTX and Gold Dot.

One of these days....
Maybe....
[smilie=icon_cry.gif]

New postPosted: August 31st, 2014, 10:33 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I wonder if the reduced recoil of a 147 doesn't allow for it to appropriately cycle?

I'd say at this point purchase some do it yourself paperweight resin and make a seriously slick, and costly, desk ornament for your office.

New postPosted: September 3rd, 2014, 5:56 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Well, unfortunately no good news to report. Tried the gun today, and very quickly got a failure to feed with Federal hardball, then a failure to feed on the first round with Hornady FTX, then a failure to extract with Winchester PDX.

The trip back to Galloway in North Carolina accomplished exactly nothing. I still have a gun that fails to extract and fails to feed. I was skeptical when they said the polished the feed ramp, because the cartridges are never getting as far as the feed ramp, they are nosediving before they ever get there. As far as I can tell, polishing the feed ramp has nothing to do with anything.

I give up.

New postPosted: September 3rd, 2014, 6:29 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

From the pics looks more like a mag or breech face problem. Perhaps we need to hit the range and run some of your loads thru my mags and see if we still have a problem. Just a thought, as mine runs.

L. Mike

New postPosted: September 3rd, 2014, 6:44 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Do ou have the +1 on your mags?

"Only repeated, multiplied oppressions placing it beyond all doubt that their rulers had formed settled plans to deprive them of their liberties, could warrant the concerted resistance of the people against their government" -J.A.

New postPosted: September 4th, 2014, 8:44 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Blasternaz wrote:
From the pics looks more like a mag or breech face problem. Perhaps we need to hit the range and run some of your loads thru my mags and see if we still have a problem. Just a thought, as mine runs.

L. Mike

Mike, that is very generous, and exactly what I need. I will take you up on it. I shoot your gun; you shoot mine; we try my mags and your mags; I provide the ammo.

How about the next Unmatch, September 20?

New postPosted: September 4th, 2014, 8:45 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

sonofbp wrote:
Do ou have the +1 on your mags?

No.

New postPosted: September 4th, 2014, 9:56 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

milquetoast wrote:
Blasternaz wrote:

L. Mike

Mike, that is very generous, and exactly what I need. I will take you up on it. I shoot your gun; you shoot mine; we try my mags and your mags; I provide the ammo.

How about the next Unmatch, September 20?

Done deal! I'll put it in the bag now so I don't forget. I am getting old....er! [smilie=icon_redface.gif]

L. Mike

New postPosted: March 8th, 2015, 6:51 pm 
New to AZS

Just curious - what happened?

New postPosted: March 15th, 2015, 8:47 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

gshim wrote:
Just curious - what happened?

Met blasternaz at the range with his gun and my gun.

- I shot his gun; it worked. He shot my gun; it didn't work. So, we ruled out "shooter error" -- I wasn't holding it wrong or too tight or too loose or anything. It's the gun, not the shooter.

- I shot his gun with my magazines. They worked. I shot my gun with his magazines. They didn't work. OK, we ruled out bad magazines. It's the gun, not the magazines.

- We tried many brands of ammo in his gun. They worked. We tried many brands of ammo in my gun. They didn't work. So, we ruled out the ammo. It's the gun, not the ammo.

That left us with -- nothing. The gun has been completely worked over/polished by the gunsmith in North Carolina that somebody recommended, and still doesn't work. The barrel and all springs have been replaced. No help.

blasternaz helped me determine that I am not crazy (at least not with regard to this particular matter). The gun really is snakebit. (And it cost me a fortune in high-priced ammo to do all that testing.)

A couple weeks later, I tried rounding off the edge of the frame itself, right below the barrel feed ramp, with emery paper wrapped around a dowel. That was promising! It seemed to work. Worked for about three mags, but had one failure to feed on the fourth mag. Pelosi. Shot one more magazine with no malfunctions, and then I was out of JHP ammo.

I have put it aside for a while; busy with other things. When I get some time, I will do a little more rounding on the frame, buy some more expensive ammo, and try again.

New postPosted: March 15th, 2015, 8:57 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

You might want to try Wright Armory, inside of C2 Tactical. They do some phenomenal things there and can probably tell you what's wrong as well as fix it.

http://www.c2tactical.com/gunsmith-services/