ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:58


All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Custom Search





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 13:53 
Offline
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Joined: 14 Feb 2010, 21:57
Posts: 521
Location: Chandler
So I took out my new M&P9L today for the first time at Rio Salado and had several situations arise that are probably due to "limp wristing".

I had the following issues within 150rds of ammo:

5 failure to feed where the bullet sort of got wedged up at a funky angle and didn't seat properly into the barrel.
1 time the casing got stuck as it was being ejected and the slide did not completely close.
1 time the next round did not even try to load. Trigger went click, but no bang. I pulled back the slide and there was nothing chambered.
1 time the slide did not stay open after the last round fired.

This happened with both of my factory magazines and with a variety of ammo. Ammo was 50rds each of Magtech, Remington, and PMC.

I checked out the internet and all signs pointed to user error. I must have been "limp wristing"...

So I went over to Caswell's, rented a lane, and fired off another 125rds. This time around I was specifically concentrating on holding the gun nice and tight with a firm grip....and it still happened two more times, as well as the slide not holding open after the last round two times as well.

So now what?
Does someone with some experience want to give it a go? Perhaps I am doing it wrong and could use some coaching? I can provide the ammo if you know what you are doing...

Signed,
Frustrated new handgun owner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 14:50 
Offline
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:15
Posts: 295
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Sometimes you can tell by looking at the holes in a target. If POA (Point Of Aim) is the bulls eye, holes in various places around the bulls eye can sometimes give clues about your grip (strong and support hands), trigger pull and so on.

My shooting improved dramatically when I changed how I used my support hand.

I have not read this but it looks right. google found it for a search term of "thumbs forward handgun grip"

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_trai ... tg_100306/

I'd suggest reading, analyzing your grip and having someone you trust critique it to help you decide. There are targets out there too that can help tell you if you are pushing, pulling, anticipating and so on.

Best of luck, you'll get it with some insight and practice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 15:51 
Offline
AZS Addict
AZS Addict
User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 08:41
Posts: 699
Location: AZ
AKdono,
I wouldnt automatically assume you are limp wristing. Especially since your gun is new. Before changing anything with your grip, wrists, etc make sure you properly break in your gun. Some mfg's recommend a significant amount of shooting before a gun is "broken in". Just a suggestion, but Ive had several guns do the same thing you are describing that went away after shooting them a bit. You have to remember that there are several mechanical pieces associated with a gun firing properly, including mag springs and followers which I would say contribute to 80% of the ftf issues Ive encountered.

JMHO. ;)

_________________
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost
John Quincy Adams

Si vis Pacem, Para bellum - if you want Peace, prepare for War

I was gunrunnerx before gunrunner wasnt cool


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 15:58 
Offline
AZS is my home
AZS is my home
User avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2005, 23:29
Posts: 4622
Location: Az, Land of the free - for now.
Quote:
So I went over to Caswell's..


don't they have any knowledgable people that work the range line?

_________________
the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 16:05 
Offline
AZS is my home
AZS is my home
User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2006, 15:34
Posts: 7924
Location: Gilbert
AzIDPA wrote:
Quote:
So I went over to Caswell's..


don't they have any knowledgable people that work the range line?


Yeah, they do, but you've gotta ask. They don't just automatically come over and ask if you need help. Same goes for a lot of the more knowledgable shooters that shoot there. No one likes unsolicited advice.

Flash


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 16:28 
Offline
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Joined: 14 Feb 2010, 21:57
Posts: 521
Location: Chandler
Flash wrote:
AzIDPA wrote:
Quote:
So I went over to Caswell's..


don't they have any knowledgable people that work the range line?


Yeah, they do, but you've gotta ask. They don't just automatically come over and ask if you need help. Same goes for a lot of the more knowledgable shooters that shoot there. No one likes unsolicited advice.

Flash


Yeah, I should have asked. Just feel kinda weird for me to walk up to someone I don't know and ask them for advice on what I am doing wrong. That's why I am here on the internet asking somewhat randomly...I know, practically the same thing. [smilie=anim_banghead.gif]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 17:56 
Online
AZS is my home
AZS is my home
User avatar

Joined: 29 Nov 2008, 20:07
Posts: 3508
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Since i've met you and you're an allright guy i won't jump to the crude remarks. Here is a good write up i used to check/improve my grip.
http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/2008/09/ ... rrett.html
Other than than, try some different ammo during breakin also. Once had a 1911 that did NOT like PMC, everything else feed fine PMC was bad mojo for it. Never found out why it just happens sometimes.

_________________
We make custom Kydex Holsters...affordable and fast!
email with questions info@tcbfirearms.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 20:01 
Offline
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Joined: 20 Sep 2008, 10:56
Posts: 3296
Location: up in the Woods now
I don't recall who posted this before, but it might be helpful.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
"Let's Roll" Todd Beamer United Flight 93


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 20:44 
Offline
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Joined: 19 Nov 2009, 17:51
Posts: 1810
Location: mesa Az
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM wrote:
I don't recall who posted this before, but it might be helpful.

cool chart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 20:45 
Offline
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Joined: 14 Feb 2010, 21:57
Posts: 521
Location: Chandler
Jay21 wrote:
Since i've met you and you're an allright guy i won't jump to the crude remarks. Here is a good write up i used to check/improve my grip.
http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/2008/09/ ... rrett.html
Other than than, try some different ammo during breakin also. Once had a 1911 that did NOT like PMC, everything else feed fine PMC was bad mojo for it. Never found out why it just happens sometimes.



Hahaha, I wish there was a term that is better than "limp wristing"...

Regardless, I did try different types of ammo. PMC, Magtech, Remmington out of the white and green boxes, and Remmington out of the yellow UMC boxes.

I think my grip is fairly close to what I have seen some of these guys using. I'm sure it could use a little bit of coaching.

Also, about a month earlier I went and rented a Glock, M&P, and an XD and shot off 150rds and didn't have an issue. This has never been an issue before when shooting a polymer or steel framed gun.

:( [smilie=anim_banghead.gif] :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 20:47 
Offline
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:15
Posts: 295
Location: Phoenix, AZ
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM wrote:
I don't recall who posted this before, but it might be helpful.



That's the target I was referencing. It really helped me visualize a few things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 23:09 
Offline
AZS is my home
AZS is my home
User avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2005, 23:29
Posts: 4622
Location: Az, Land of the free - for now.
AKDono wrote:
So I took out my new M&P9L today for the first time at Rio Salado and had several situations arise that are probably due to "limp wristing".

I had the following issues within 150rds of ammo:

5 failure to feed where the bullet sort of got wedged up at a funky angle and didn't seat properly into the barrel.
1 time the casing got stuck as it was being ejected and the slide did not completely close.
1 time the next round did not even try to load. Trigger went click, but no bang. I pulled back the slide and there was nothing chambered.
1 time the slide did not stay open after the last round fired.

This happened with both of my factory magazines and with a variety of ammo. Ammo was 50rds each of Magtech, Remington, and PMC.

I checked out the internet and all signs pointed to user error. I must have been "limp wristing"...

So I went over to Caswell's, rented a lane, and fired off another 125rds. This time around I was specifically concentrating on holding the gun nice and tight with a firm grip....and it still happened two more times, as well as the slide not holding open after the last round two times as well.

So now what?
Does someone with some experience want to give it a go? Perhaps I am doing it wrong and could use some coaching? I can provide the ammo if you know what you are doing...

Signed,
Frustrated new handgun owner


are you left or right handed?
is your grip interfering with the slide stop in anyway?
does the same thing happen when you fire single handed with either hand?

is the gun properly lubed?

_________________
the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 06:47 
Offline
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Joined: 14 Feb 2010, 21:57
Posts: 521
Location: Chandler
I am right handed.
I don't think I am interfering with the slide stop.
I haven't tried to fire single handed.

As far as lube, I only placed a small amount on the points indicated in the instruction manual. Perhaps I should apply a little extra, especially to the rails, or should I continue to follow what the manual says?

Also, could a stiff new spring be causing some of the problem, and it just needs to be broken in?

AzIDPA wrote:
AKDono wrote:
So I took out my new M&P9L today for the first time at Rio Salado and had several situations arise that are probably due to "limp wristing".

I had the following issues within 150rds of ammo:

5 failure to feed where the bullet sort of got wedged up at a funky angle and didn't seat properly into the barrel.
1 time the casing got stuck as it was being ejected and the slide did not completely close.
1 time the next round did not even try to load. Trigger went click, but no bang. I pulled back the slide and there was nothing chambered.
1 time the slide did not stay open after the last round fired.

This happened with both of my factory magazines and with a variety of ammo. Ammo was 50rds each of Magtech, Remington, and PMC.

I checked out the internet and all signs pointed to user error. I must have been "limp wristing"...

So I went over to Caswell's, rented a lane, and fired off another 125rds. This time around I was specifically concentrating on holding the gun nice and tight with a firm grip....and it still happened two more times, as well as the slide not holding open after the last round two times as well.

So now what?
Does someone with some experience want to give it a go? Perhaps I am doing it wrong and could use some coaching? I can provide the ammo if you know what you are doing...

Signed,
Frustrated new handgun owner


are you left or right handed?
is your grip interfering with the slide stop in anyway?
does the same thing happen when you fire single handed with either hand?

is the gun properly lubed?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 08:19 
Offline
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:15
Posts: 295
Location: Phoenix, AZ
AKDono wrote:
I am right handed.
I don't think I am interfering with the slide stop.
I haven't tried to fire single handed.

As far as lube, I only placed a small amount on the points indicated in the instruction manual. Perhaps I should apply a little extra, especially to the rails, or should I continue to follow what the manual says?

Also, could a stiff new spring be causing some of the problem, and it just needs to be broken in?



If you have the old spring and it is still serviceable, you could try it to see if it works any better since it takes about 20 seconds to replace the spring.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do I prevent "limp wristing"? Or is it the gun?
New postPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 10:02 
Offline
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Joined: 14 Feb 2010, 21:57
Posts: 521
Location: Chandler
Its a brand new gun, so I don't have an old spring to test it out with.

DesertCrawler wrote:
AKDono wrote:
I am right handed.
I don't think I am interfering with the slide stop.
I haven't tried to fire single handed.

As far as lube, I only placed a small amount on the points indicated in the instruction manual. Perhaps I should apply a little extra, especially to the rails, or should I continue to follow what the manual says?

Also, could a stiff new spring be causing some of the problem, and it just needs to be broken in?



If you have the old spring and it is still serviceable, you could try it to see if it works any better since it takes about 20 seconds to replace the spring.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group