ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently May 22nd, 2017, 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Smith Model 19 temporary lockup...
New postPosted: December 2nd, 2015, 10:23 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I was shooting my Model 19 yesterday, and when I went to shoot the last round (double action), the trigger would not budge one bit. Popped the cylinder, closed it back up, tried again. Still nothing. Popped it again, spun it, re aligned the round so it was next to fire, and the trigger worked just fine.

Any idea what the likely cause was? It never had a problem before that, and never had another problem the rest of the day, and I put at least another 80+ rounds through it.

It wasn't bullet jump, because the round was still crimped in nicely. And primers felt fine.

Thanks for any input guys.

Post subject: Re: Smith Model 19 temporary lockup...
New postPosted: December 2nd, 2015, 4:15 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Two places to look quickly:
- With the cylinder loaded with fired cases, and pointed in a safe direction, hold the gun sideways so that you can look through the gap between the cylinder and the barrel forcing cone. Pull the trigger slowly six times. At some point, does the face of the cylinder touch or nearly touch the forcing cone? (Heat expansion can cause "close" to become "touching" and cooling for a minute can free it up.)
- The cylinder rotates around the ejector rod. Sometimes the ejector rod gets loose (i.e., it gets longer) and it's hard to turn the cylinder. Check to see if you can turn the ejector rod by hand. If so, it's too loose, so tighten it. Smith ejector rods are reverse threaded, so lefty-tighty, righty-loosey.

But it's probably one of a dozen other things.

New postPosted: December 2nd, 2015, 4:15 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Possible grit in the trigger system, or a bit of grit on the star. If dirt gets into the cylinder lock or under the hand, it can cause it to lock up. Clean it well. If you do not know how to clean the internals, take it to a smith for a good cleaning.

L. Mike

New postPosted: December 6th, 2015, 1:18 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

possibly some flake/s of unburnt powder the extractor star. Dislodged when you opened it a few times. You would not have easily opened it had the ejector rod loosened up.

New postPosted: December 7th, 2015, 9:58 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

What I have found to be the problem most of the time, is, a poorly crimped bullet being moved forward from recoil, preventing cylinder rotation, and hence, locking up the trigger. Obviously that is something that needs to be checked before firing.

Has it done it since the incident mentioned?

Are you shooting reloads?

Just something else to think about, imo.

"And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutally pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." --- Thomas Jefferson

New postPosted: December 14th, 2015, 8:50 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

It only happened with the one round, and it didn't jump the crimp, as it was either 125 grain, or 148 grain lead 38 special handloads. It'd be hard for either to jump the crimp on a K frame 357. Neck tension alone should prevent it.

It hasn't locked up since then, but there is a small rattling inside the gun now, like something is loose, but not rolling around.

I know it's not the extractor rod, because I used a dab of purple (low strength) loc tite on it, because it kept loosening up a while back.

New postPosted: December 18th, 2015, 3:13 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

The rattling is probably normal, and you just never noticed it before.
But, if the problem has gone away, it was probably what L. Mike said -- a bit of dirt/unburned gunpowder that got into a wrong place, and now is gone.

If you feel like looking inside, to blow out any loose dirt with compressed air, to lube, and just to get familiar with the workings, the keys to disassembling a Smith revolver are:
- Use screwdrivers that fit the screws precisely. Buy yourself a set of Brownells screwdrivers (interchangeable bits) for Christmas (or Ramadan, or Kwanzaa). Don't use any old screwdriver. The screws are soft, and the slots will get deformed, and will look like pelosi, if you don't use the right screwdriver.
- You don't pry the sideplate off; you rap on the grip frame with something not made of metal (a plastic mallet, a wooden hammer handle), and the vibration shakes the sideplate off. There are probably many youtube vids on how to disassemble a Smith revolver.

New postPosted: December 18th, 2015, 9:56 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

milquetoast wrote:
The rattling is probably normal, and you just never noticed it before.
But, if the problem has gone away, it was probably what L. Mike said -- a bit of dirt/unburned gunpowder that got into a wrong place, and now is gone.

If you feel like looking inside, to blow out any loose dirt with compressed air, to lube, and just to get familiar with the workings, the keys to disassembling a Smith revolver are:
- Use screwdrivers that fit the screws precisely. Buy yourself a set of Brownells screwdrivers (interchangeable bits) for Christmas (or Ramadan, or Kwanzaa). Don't use any old screwdriver. The screws are soft, and the slots will get deformed, and will look like pelosi, if you don't use the right screwdriver.
- You don't pry the sideplate off; you rap on the grip frame with something not made of metal (a plastic mallet, a wooden hammer handle), and the vibration shakes the sideplate off. There are probably many youtube vids on how to disassemble a Smith revolver.

I took it to Brian10x, and he opened it up, and cleaned it up. Nothing out of the ordinary, and I was shocked at how little wear there was inside! The bluing on the trigger and hammer pivot pins doesn't have any wear at all! The top strap is the same, too.

We did a very thorough inspection, and cleaning, but we couldn't spot anything that would cause the lockup problem.

We think the rattling is caused by the hammer block. That's the only thing that is "loose" inside. There's nothing else that I can see that would do that.

New postPosted: January 27th, 2017, 2:10 pm 
New to AZS

High primer can do this as well and since you were using reloads I would suspect this as the culprit , and trying to close the cylinder a couple times forced it down enough to get past the resistance. Either that or unburnt powder under the extractor can do this. You already eliminated a loose extractor rod which is also a common cause. Carefully check your ammo for any high primers

New postPosted: January 27th, 2017, 4:56 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

The rattling and possible cause if you have a post lock model is the lock either from recoil or not being turned all the way MIGHT be the problem.

New postPosted: April 10th, 2017, 5:23 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

See if the ejector plunger rod is loose. It's reverse thread (IIRC)...

If you need the special knob to tighten it tight without marring it, I have them. I think I've used them 3x in 20 years.

D.

New postPosted: April 11th, 2017, 10:26 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

AZEX wrote:
See if the ejector plunger rod is loose. It's reverse thread (IIRC)...

If you need the special knob to tighten it tight without marring it, I have them. I think I've used them 3x in 20 years.

D.

I believe it is reverse thread as long as not a real old model 19. I forget the exact timeframe where S&W changed to that.