"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 17th, 2018, 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Goof - Winchester 1890 .22wrf barrel liner
New postPosted: January 4th, 2018, 8:42 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I managed to get the barrel liner slightly off center and the action will not chamber the round.

Wondering if anyone has had this misfortune and how to solve it.

I was considering filing the inside of the bolt to allow the carrier to drift to where it would align to the off center chamber
but I don't want to ruin the bolt as well as the barrel.

I've done several other barrel liners but never had this problem. Probably due to the drill bit drifting off center.

Post subject: Re: Goof - Winchester 1890 .22wrf barrel liner
New postPosted: January 5th, 2018, 6:33 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

My thoughts would be to remove the current liner and turn down a barrel to make an oversized liner. Then start from the chamber end when drilling. Doing this in a lathe would be best to get it centered.
Why not go to a 22LR liner? From what I have read and understand of the 1890 it only takes a spacer block in the carrier to get it to feed the shorter cartridge.
I spoke with TJ's barrel liners when I did my Meridan rifle. I found his phone number on the internet, 859-635-5560. He may have some thoughts on this.

New postPosted: January 5th, 2018, 7:00 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I could remove the liner and start over of course. Just trying to avoid that hassle. The lathe would be nice if I had one. I did drill the barrel from both ends however it must have gotten
out of center somewhere in the middle of the barrel causing the liner to shift off center. The hole started in the center at both ends.

This rifle was made in 1900 and is in quite nice shape so it would be a shame to change the barrel to .22LR when it is stamped .22WRF. I consider it collector grade.
I did convert another .22WRF to .22LR and all it took was to weld a spacer into the carrier as you mentioned. With that one, I installed a new barrel and chambered it in .22LR.
The really concerning issue with this rifle is that it belongs to a friend of mine. Sure hate to mess it up.

Thanks for the phone number. I'll call Meridan and see if they have a suggestion.

New postPosted: January 6th, 2018, 6:56 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

The number is for TJs liners. The Meridan is my old Sears single shot rifle I put a liner in.
Another thought is too drill the breech end oversized so you can shift the liner over to line up with the bolt.
Did you use solder or epoxy?

New postPosted: January 6th, 2018, 7:05 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I used epoxy.

Not following drilling the breech end oversized to shift the liner over.

New postPosted: January 7th, 2018, 7:45 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

If you can get the liner out, either grind of drill the hole on the side it needs to go to make it line up with the bolt and use the epoxy to fill in the gap when reinstalling the liner. Just a thought.
Might be better to remove the liner and have the location of the hole on the breech end drilled or milled in the proper location in a lathe with an oversized bit. Then buy a barrel and have it turned down to work as an oversized liner. Could get expensive. Another thought is to drill out the hole oversized and install a metal rod in it and drill this for the current liner.

New postPosted: January 20th, 2018, 8:58 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I figure drilling out the liner with a lathe to be the size needed for another new liner. Since the liner I installed is epoxied in, I don't know how to get it out to re use without drilling it out
which would render it useless of course. If drilled out with a lathe, it should be straight and whatever material that is left behind will bond to some more epoxy.
Thanks for your suggestions. Always good to have someone to toss around ideas with.

New postPosted: January 21st, 2018, 8:15 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Might check the melting point of the epoxy. Might be low enough to stick it in an oven to soften it enough to release the liner. Good luck and let us know how the replacement went.
If you need to buy a barrel check with Green Mountain for either a replacement or one to turn down.

New postPosted: February 12th, 2018, 12:57 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Your in the NW valley, If you need a Lathe, you're more than welcome to use mine. I have a South Bend 9A in the garage, so i think your barrel will go through the spindle bore.

I use it for small projects and have threaded a few barrels when the wife starts nagging and I need an escape.

If you figure out how to release the sleeve. Your more than welcome to use it, if you let me watch as I have always wanted to learn / see how to do a barrel liner.

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.
-Article VI USMC Code of Conduct

New postPosted: February 13th, 2018, 6:00 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Thank you for the offer. I am still trying to make the gun work as is but I may take you up on the lathe offer if I decide to spend for
another liner.

Leanman's suggestion about finding out the temperature that epoxy melts has me intrigued. I may be able to do that to adjust the
liner I installed.

Appreciate the offer.