"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 20th, 2018, 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: ar's in 7.62
New postPosted: September 12th, 2017, 7:40 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

just wondering about putting one together.
would like some input / opinions, likes, dislikes

Post subject: Re: ar's in 7.62
New postPosted: September 13th, 2017, 7:31 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I built one not long ago. Bought a complete AR Stoner upper from MidwayUSA. Lower is Anderson. Be prepared to do some upgrades and mods.

I bought two different brands of 7.62x39 AR magazines and both failed to feed pretty often. I ground down the front of the magazines mouth about 1/8" and that took care of most of the trouble.
Began having ejection trouble with brass hanging up in the ejection port. I had a beefy ejector spring in my assortment of parts and installed it. That problem solved.
I'd heard that there are often gas problems with the AR Stoner upper so I installed an adjustable gas block during assembly of the rifle. I also opened up the gas port a little bit as others suggested.
It was advised to also install an enhanced firing pin due to the hard primers on military ammo. Did that at assembly time also. Can't say if it was needed since I didn't try the pin that came with the BCG.
After normal adjustment of the gas block and everything else mentioned above, it runs pretty nice. Still isn't quite as reliable as my ARs in 5.56. I might still find out why this is so as I do like problem solving.

New postPosted: September 24th, 2017, 4:36 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

you mean .308? Palmetto is having a stupid sale on AR10s right now. Got one for 459.00. you need to find a rear sight somewhere though.

New postPosted: September 24th, 2017, 5:53 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Im going to assume you mean a 308 ar.

If you just want to plink cheap (using that term REAL loosely) ammo, then id say get the PSA 308. for $450-500, its hard to beat. granted some stuff you cant upgrade, but for a stock rifle, it works.

If you want more of a precision rifle, then imo, I would try to stick with as many of the same brand/company parts as possible. There is no "mil-spec" for large frame ARs, so when you start mixing parts, the more possible issues may come up. That being said, my biggest suggestion is make sure you get an adjustable gas block. 308 is WAY over gassed as is, an adj gas block helps out big time.

New postPosted: September 25th, 2017, 5:58 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

True the 7.62 is the first metric digit for .308, I am assuming he is referring to 7.62x39 which is the same caliber AK47s are chambered in. .308 is 7.62x51. A whole different animal and much more expensive ammo.

It is possible to build the 7.62x39 using AR15 parts except for the bolt and magazines. With the tuning that I mentioned here, you can get a nice shooting rifle. Not to say .308 ARs are not nice shooting rifles. Just not the same game.
7.62x39 ammo costs on sale about $5 for 20. .308 is easily 3 times that. Again, different animal.

I did look at the PSA website in search of the .308 bargain rifle but didn't find it. Must be sold out or the sale ended. Or am I missing something?

New postPosted: September 28th, 2017, 3:52 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

you gotta buy the upper and lower separate. Lower 159, complete upper (less sight) 299.