ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 23:41

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CNC shop with AR-15 lower program.
New postPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 23:28 
New to AZS

Looks like I'm about to get an 80% AR lower so I will need to finish the machine work. I'm looking for a place in the Tucson (Phoenix is ok too) that has a CNC machine with the program to finish an 80% lower.

I'd really hate to drive to California to get it done (where the rest of the people in this group buy are finishing theirs).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
~Mark

Post subject: Re: CNC shop with AR-15 lower program.
New postPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 23:48 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

maniak wrote:
Looks like I'm about to get an 80% AR lower so I will need to finish the machine work. I'm looking for a place in the Tucson (Phoenix is ok too) that has a CNC machine with the program to finish an 80% lower.

I'd really hate to drive to California to get it done (where the rest of the people in this group buy are finishing theirs).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
~Mark

Unless they are 07 manufacturer they CANT DO IT LEGALY., and then if they are an 07 you will have to do the paper work bs.

You yourself has to be the one to do it.
you wont find any cnc machine shop that will "Let you run thier machines".
its best to find a jig grab a hand drill and finish it yourself.
before you laugh I saw a guy(online) build a complete billet lower with a file hand drill and a dremil tool

Check out cncguns.com and weaponsguild.com they have lots of info about doing them in your garage, prints jigs tooling needed etc etc

New postPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 00:03 
New to AZS

Delw wrote:
maniak wrote:

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
~Mark

Unless they are 07 manufacturer they CANT DO IT LEGALY., and then if they are an 07 you will have to do the paper work bs.

before you laugh I saw a guy(online) build a complete billet lower with a file hand drill and a dremil tool

Check out cncguns.com and weaponsguild.com they have lots of info about doing them in your garage, prints jigs tooling needed etc etc

I understand I have to do it, but all I "have to do" is press the "go" button on the cnc machine shop in Ca. Basically, they show you "how" to put it in the machine, load the program and hit start..

I did find cncguns.com and have started to look into doing it myself using using my neighbors milling machine. I know the cnc machine method will be correct while I could screw something up much easier doing it on the vertical milling machine my neighbor has. Right now, after buying jigs etc to do it myself it seems to be the same price for me to drive out to Ca and do it.

~Mark

New postPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 00:10 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

maniak wrote:
Delw wrote:
maniak wrote:

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
~Mark

I understand I have to do it, but all I "have to do" is press the "go" button on the cnc machine shop in Ca. Basically, they show you "how" to put it in the machine, load the program and hit start..

I did find cncguns.com and have started to look into doing it myself using using my neighbors milling machine. I know the cnc machine method will be correct while I could screw something up much easier doing it on the vertical milling machine my neighbor has. Right now, after buying jigs etc to do it myself it seems to be the same price for me to drive out to Ca and do it.

~Mark

That shop in ca that has you just press the little green button is technically illegal. and any shop that would have you hit the little green button would be idiots and be in trouble if caught. I dont think it would be worth that shops business to let people do thing like that. dude I woudlnt do it for 20k cash or 40k in hookers and blow.

your better off doing it in your neighbors garage get a bp and you wont mess up.

New postPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 00:25 
New to AZS

Quote:
That shop in ca that has you just press the little green button is technically illegal. and any shop that would have you hit the little green button would be idiots and be in trouble if caught. I dont think it would be worth that shops business to let people do thing like that. dude I woudlnt do it for 20k cash or 40k in hookers and blow.

your better off doing it in your neighbors garage get a bp and you wont mess up.

I must be mis-describing it. The shop I was going to use does build parties 5 days a week. They do AR-15s, 1911s, and AR-10's. I did notice I would still be doing some of it by hand (not on the CNC machine).

Here is a quote from someone who did go there..
Quote:
It was an easy, painless experience. I mounted the lower, pushed a button, then after the FCG pocket was done I went to a drill press and using a jig I drill the holes for the trigger pins and the safety hole.

I've also found other shops in Ca that do it (farther north).. Apparently its somewhat popular in Ca since buying an Ar-15 already completed has many more limitations.

This is from their FAQ..
Quote:
How much does this cost?

The 80% Products price is listed on the product page of each item. If you are going to make use of our “hosted build party” you will be charged 65 dollars PER LOWER by the machinist to instruct you on how to complete it.

What happens at a build party?

You take your 80% lower to a Machine Shop. You then put the lower in the CNC Machine and press start.

~Mark

New postPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 05:52 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

He's talking about Ares Armor, I believe.

The guys at Ares are cool dudes who like flipping the finger at the man. They actually walk the walk. But most outfits aren't like that.

The benefit of the build parties like those is that you don't have to invest in purchasing the jig set to do all the remaining work at home in your garage with the tools. But for me, I want the jig set, so that I can say I did myself,...and I probably will do more than one anyway.

Ares hosts those build parties like that because it entices people to buy their product. Thus, the bother is worth it. It is unlikely you will find anyone to put up with that bother unless you pay them. And the fee they may charge you to use their $50,000 machine might be as much as purchasing the jig set and doing it at home.

ImageImage

New postPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 06:09 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Depending on which 80% lower you have (ie. if the magwell is already cut and the buffer tube threads are cut), the rest of it is actually pretty simple. Cutting the FCG pocket isn't rocket science, and can very simply be done on your neighbor's mill with minimal tooling. Give me an email address and I can send you detailed instructions on how to do it and a blueprint. You can do it!

-WRM

New postPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 10:32 
New to AZS

Yes, It is Ares that I was looking to use. At least that is who everyone else in the group buy (they are all in Ca) is going to use.

At first I thought shops like Ares were common.. Apparently that isn't the case..

Once I get the instructions on what needs to be done I can decide if I'm going to try this.. From reading more from those sites above I think I can do this.. Wost case, I'm sure my neighbor can provide guidance as he is actually building a Plasma table, from scratch. When I was there last time he had the table built and was working on the electronics to control everything (he can move it by command, but can't just run a program yet).

WRMorrison, I sent a pm...

~Mark

New postPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 11:03 
New to AZS

Buy me a CNC machine and I'll do it for you with my 07FLL :D

God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys god. Man creates guns. Guns kill man.
Guns rule the world with all their evil.

New postPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 11:22 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Maniak
now I understand ie group builds. makes sence. I thought about that after I logged off. Figured I would come in and ask for a clarification. others beat me too it. ;)

New postPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 11:24 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Black_V!per wrote:
Buy me a CNC machine and I'll do it for you with my 07FLL :D

I got 7 cnc working on 2 more and a wire edm.
I am waiting on my 07 and sot as well.

Delw

New postPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 14:52 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

By the way, Maniak, is Ares shipping product? When I talked with them a couple weeks ago, they were completely sold out of everything and even the raw forging suppliers were jacking prices on them.

ImageImage

New postPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 21:26 
New to AZS

atfsux wrote:
By the way, Maniak, is Ares shipping product? When I talked with them a couple weeks ago, they were completely sold out of everything and even the raw forging suppliers were jacking prices on them.

I doubt they are. I got into a group order from Tactical machine but even then I don't get it right now.

~Mark

New postPosted: 25 Jan 2013, 01:10 
New to AZS

I too am interested in this. I recently ordered an Ares 80% lower, assuming "if they have AR-15 build parties in Commiefornia, then there have to be some in Arizona!"

Well, so far google is giving me nothing. How is it that we have AK build parties, but no one with a CNC is cashing in on 80% AR lowers?

New postPosted: 25 Jan 2013, 02:03 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I have a couple bare AR lower forgings sitting around doing nothing. I got them as props and conversation pieces. But I decided if Ares Armor and Tactical Machining are all out, perhaps I could just send them my forgings and have them do those up.

Ares responded they would not, with no explanation given as to why. Haven't heard back from TM yet.

ImageImage