"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently November 17th, 2017, 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Zinc bullets & zinc cores
New postPosted: November 6th, 2017, 11:36 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Been doing some net shopping for ammo. I noticed some ammo listed as having a Zinc bullet for deep penetration. Doesn't sound like a bad idea but my biggest concern is all the low cost FMJ ammo. The low cost FMJ Ammo I have on hand does not have a magnetic core. I'm speculating that the FMJ Ammo is using a Zinc rather than lead core.

With lead prices rising thanks to Obozo's EPA shutting down the only USA lead processing plant. The majority of recycled Lead is being used in automotive batteries. Non-jacketed lead bullet ammo is costing considerably more than FMJ. I'm wondering about the shift of factory ammo to Zinc cores instead of Lead is a possibility.

Zinc cores in soft tip or many hollow points simply will not expand reliably if any at all. My biggest concern about Zinc is how it affects barrel wear. I've read complaints on the net about mild steel core ammo being hard on barrels especially those shooting AK's and SKS's with Russian and Eastern European ammo. The early imported AK and SKS had chrome lined bores and are hard to wear out. Later imports do not commonly have the chrome bores.

I don't think barrel wear is a major concern for most gun people. There are some shooters though that shoot hundreds of rounds per outing or thousands per year. I knew a handgun tournament shooter while has was actively participating claimed he was shooting up in excess of 10 - 20,000 rds a year.

My questions, does anybody have any inside or reliable information about a possible shift of ammo manufactures to Zinc based bullet cores? How does it affect barre life, accuracy and expansion of hunting or SD bullets??

Don't know or have any inside knowledge. Your insight and speculation is welcomed.