"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently May 25th, 2017, 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Federal FliteControl 00 Buck NOW WITH PICTURES
New postPosted: December 3rd, 2016, 3:55 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

This could fit under Ammunition, Reviews, or Deals.

Did a shotgun class last Saturday. Everybody patterned their favorite brand of 00 Buck at 25 yards. Everybody had pellets off the paper at that distance. Then everybody shot one round of Federal FliteControl. Amazing difference. Patterns got cut in half. All or most pellets inside the 10" circle on a USPSA target.

Inside a house, doesn't matter much, but if you plan to use a shotgun as an anti-personnel weapon outside, Federal FliteControl is the way to go.

Just got an email from a friend telling me that Quick Guns in Mesa has it on sale today for $5/box. (It's $7 at SGC.) Might have to mosey down there this morning and get some.

Last edited by milquetoast on February 14th, 2017, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Federal FliteControl 00 Buck
New postPosted: December 15th, 2016, 11:21 am 
New to AZS

I've shot them before as well, its like night and day with how much tighter it patterns when the distance reaches double digit yards.

New postPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 6:50 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Federal Flite-Control is a great product especially for the non handloaders. If you are a handloader you can duplicate these results and even obtain tighter patterns with un-slit wads available from Ballistic Products.

New postPosted: February 6th, 2017, 8:07 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

SGAmmo has #1 Buck in stock at the moment.
http://www.sgammo.com/product/12-gauge-ammo/50-round-box-12-gauge-federal-number-1-buckshot-flite-control-wad-le132-1b I ordered two boxes of 50, with shipping $88 total.

#1B is my preference (and quite hard to find). If you prefer 00B, they have it, but you have to buy a case of 250.

New postPosted: February 7th, 2017, 6:23 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I agree, #1Buck is a great size of buckshot. I have had great results on coyotes with it in the 12ga. 3" load with 24 pellets. Only Winchester makes this load still and its very hard to get. I found some online and purchased a case of it in fear that it may go out of production. ;)

New postPosted: February 13th, 2017, 10:33 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Went to Scottsdale Gun Club today with a Remington 870, and different types of buckshot -- all 2 3/4" 00B with 9 pellets, except for one round of #1B.

At the max distance at SGC -- 70 feet (23 and 1/3 yards) - I fired one round of each type of buckshot at a blank piece of newsprint (the cheapest paper I could find). After I got a pattern, I traced a 10" circle around the largest number of holes, to see how many pellets stayed inside that arbitrary size.

First up was "Suprema," a cheapo brand I got at Walmart for $10/50. At that distance, pellets were all over the place.

Next was a round of Western SuperX, which had noticeably more recoil than anything else. Not much better than the Suprema.

Federal Tactical was disappointing.

Federal Premium is high-priced and hard-kicking, and a little better but not great.

The Federal Low Recoil was not bad. Would make a good house load. Some low recoil OOB loads have only 8 pellets, which usually throw out four "pairs" -- the pellets stay together in 2-pellet clusters. This was 9 pellets though -- one was a flyer, high out of the picture.

Hornady TAP Semi-Auto -- now you're talking. The 9th pellet was the tear low left just outside the circle.

The Federal Maximum Flite Control kicked hard, but threw a nice tight pattern, but with one flyer upper right.

Here's my new favorite: Federal Low Recoil #1 Buck (all others tested were 00B). Soft-shooting, and put 15 pellets inside the 10" circle. (Most #1B has 16 pellets.)

Last edited by milquetoast on February 14th, 2017, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Federal FliteControl 00 Buck NOW WITH PICTURES
New postPosted: February 14th, 2017, 7:47 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

What is the barrel length and choke on the 870 used? Good comparison.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

New postPosted: February 14th, 2017, 7:59 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

18" cylinder bore

New postPosted: February 14th, 2017, 8:52 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Always remember that lower velocity shotshell loads will always produce tighter patterns with the components being the same as the higher velocity loads.
Lower velocity also usually equals less penetration/energy as well. The reps and technicians at Ballistic Products have a saying, "SPEED KILLS".
For years man has tried to obtain the highest velocity and tightest patterns from shotguns. Man has invented chokes, engineered wads, harder shot and denser shot to accomplish these goals.
The quality shotshell ammo of today is better then ever before. Its to bad that the best premium hunting shotgun ammo today is not really that affordable. I would love to afford High Density shot loads for all my shotgun hunting tasks.

New postPosted: February 16th, 2017, 12:42 pm 
New to AZS

Mad Max wrote:
Always remember that lower velocity shotshell loads will always produce tighter patterns with the components being the same as the higher velocity loads.
Lower velocity also usually equals less penetration/energy as well. The reps and technicians at Ballistic Products have a saying, "SPEED KILLS".
For years man has tried to obtain the highest velocity and tightest patterns from shotguns. Man has invented chokes, engineered wads, harder shot and denser shot to accomplish these goals.
The quality shotshell ammo of today is better then ever before. Its to bad that the best premium hunting shotgun ammo today is not really that affordable. I would love to afford High Density shot loads for all my shotgun hunting tasks.

I was going to comment that I wish there was a version of the Federal Flitecontrol that fired at 1600fps, the next closest thing I could find was Hornady's Critical Defense load. I figure though if Federal is marketing them for home defense, that 1,145fps figure might be a moot point unless you are defending a mansion.

New postPosted: February 17th, 2017, 12:05 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I hear ya, I wish that Federal made it as well.
My buckshot handload is 9 pellets of extra hard cast 00BK at 1630 fps. It penetrates hard oak wood at a depth of 1-1/4" where as factory soft lead 00BK at 1325 fps only penetrates 5/8" and falls apart.
I once tested my handload on .078 steel plate and all 9 pellets passed clean through at 20yds. I performed the same test with Federal factory 9mm 115gr. fmj plated ammo out of a mid-size Keltec pistol and it only heavily dented the same steel.
What I like about my handload is that my targets are not safe hiding behind a commercial steel door or a car door. Another test that I performed was on a car front windshield. The factory soft lead 00BK would penetrate the window but not penetrate into soft pine wood after the window. My handload with the same test went through the window and 1-1/4" of soft pine wood.