ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 17:10

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: class III license?
New postPosted: 18 Jun 2008, 21:05 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

Do you need some sort of class 3 license in addition to the tax stamp to buy a class 3 item or just the tax stamp?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: class III license?
New postPosted: 18 Jun 2008, 21:17 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Peanutslayer wrote:
Do you need some sort of class 3 license in addition to the tax stamp to buy a class 3 item or just the tax stamp?

Thanks

If you want to purchase a transferable, all you need is the cash, complete the paperwork, get the sign-off and wait.

azski

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 07:29 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

azski wrote:
Peanutslayer wrote:

Thanks

If you want to purchase a transferable, all you need is the cash, complete the paperwork, get the sign-off and wait.

azski
And wait some more.

Basically, if you clear a NICS check, you can purchase a class 3 and it's a one time tax stamp to you for as long as you keep it.

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 12:51 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

sdsd

Last edited by hkmgs on 12 Dec 2008, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 17:49 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

[quote="hkmgs"]The Class III license is for those that want to just rent Machine guns.

???????????????? Interesting???

Hmmm!

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 18:00 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

hkmgs wrote:
The Class III license is for those that want to just rent Machine guns.

Once they give up their license and stop paying the money for the license they can no longer posses the Post sample NFA weapon, and have to transfer it to another with the license (Someone else with a Class 2 or 3 ) LEO, or Military .

Except that Class III dealers can keep pre-May samples after they give up their license. Only Post-May Samples need be "surrendered".

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 18:31 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

TimW wrote:
hkmgs wrote:

Once they give up their license and stop paying the money for the license they can no longer posses the Post sample NFA weapon, and have to transfer it to another with the license (Someone else with a Class 2 or 3 ) LEO, or Military .

Except that Class III dealers can keep pre-May samples after they give up their license. Only Post-May Samples need be "surrendered".

A Class 3 dealer can keep all their DF 3 items (MG's and Suppressors), when they give up their license, except their post sample firearms. They may also transfer their inventory to themselves, tax free, if their license was in their name only.

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 18:45 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

TimW wrote:
hkmgs wrote:

Pre/Post may? I've heard of post '86 but I don't know anything about May.

Elaborate por favor?

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 19:49 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

MisterWilson wrote:
TimW wrote:
hkmgs wrote:

Elaborate por favor?

May of 1986.

Also, it isn't the entire gun the dealer giving up his license has to surrender. If you have apost M-16 or AK, you can just give up the receiver.

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 19:51 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

MisterWilson wrote:
Elaborate por favor?

The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA) was what instituted the cut off for new civilian manufacture machine guns, as of May 19, 1986. After that date, no new machine guns could be made that were for civilian manufacture. Thus, ALL new MGs after that date were "Post samples" or "Post May Samples", which means that a Class III SOT/Licensee could have one, but only if they had a demonstration letter from a law enforcement, military or other qualified agency, indicating that said agency/group wanted to evaluate Gun X, and that Dealer Y was the one going to do it for them, therefore having Gun X was necessary for Dealer Y.

Back up to the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA). This law prohibited further importation of foreign machine guns except as dealer samples, which mean (I believe) they needed a demonstration letter for these. This is how many of the factory IMI Uzi machine guns (that were originally FA, and not converted) were brought into the country. Since these are dealer samples, but were before the end of new MG manufacture, they are considered Pre-May Samples, and can only be purchased by Class III SOT/Licensees, however they do not need a demo letter and the dealer (if licensee is an individual) or company (if a corporation) can keep them if/when they give up their Class III FFL.

That's how we got Post-May Samples/Post-Samples and Pre-May Samples. Of course, prior to May 19, 1986, one could legally convert any semi-auto in the US if you got the tax stamp. So, a lot of folks got IMI Uzi Carbines, filed the paperwork, then converted either the bolt or the receiver to make their MG. AR-15 folks could drill a hole, etc.

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 20:49 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Roger. Thanks for that little tidbit-o-history.

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 21:04 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

Thank you very much. You answered my question perfectly.

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 21:33 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

sds

Last edited by hkmgs on 12 Dec 2008, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 21:56 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Individual Class III dealers can, in fact, keep their pre-May samples. I know several who plan to do just that, unless the regs changes recently. That's why pre-May samples are so much more expensive than Post-May Samples, but less than transferrables.

New postPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 22:02 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

[u]As an individual they can not keep their Pre samples. As a corp they can.[/u]

Just a clarification,.....Sole proprietor's, may keep their presamples and the transfer to them is tax free, when they opt to not renew their SOT. Pre 86 samples, do not follow the license of a sole proprietor, they follow the business. Post 86 samples are attached to the SOT license and once the license is not renewed, the post 86 guns become contraband.

Except that Class III dealers can keep pre-May samples after they give up their license. Only Post-May Samples need be "surrendered".[/quote]

As an individual they can not keep their Pre samples. As a corp they can. They have to keep the corporation alive in order to keep the pre samples. The only way they can hand down that pre sample to their kids is if their kids end up taking over the corporation. Then there is something about sol proprietor only but I am not 100% on that rule .

Pre samples are still pretty expensive firearms compared to post samples and most still can't justify the expense even for the presamples.

Post sample MP5 = $1500
Presample MP5 = $8000
Transferable = $15,000

Post sample MP5-K = $1800
Presample MP5-K = $12,000
Transferable MP5-K = $16,000

Just a few examples that I am familier with.

Maybe the Heller case will throw all the figures every which way [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif][/quote]