ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently December 14th, 2017, 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Best way to introduce firearms to friends/family members?
New postPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 9:20 am 
New to AZS

When I met my wife, she had had zero exposure to firearms. I was raised with them, so her acclimation towards them happened rather organically through me, but I am wondering if any of you have had any more difficult experiences with this sort of thing. Or perhaps you yourself are completely new to guns. I would personally benefit greatly from hearing your take on this, and what it would take (if anything) to get you to become comfortable with firearms. Please share your story with me and others so we can learn from them. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Best way to introduce firearms to friends/family members
New postPosted: July 12th, 2017, 12:31 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

if, and that's a BIG if, you can get her to go shooting with you, I have found that a 22 pistol and rifle are the best way to introduce new people the recreational shooting.
Let them get comfortable to that and see if there is any interest in moving up the caliber ladder.
Be calm and explain why things are done the way they are done.
Eye and ear protection will show them that you're serious about the sport.
Don't flip out about the rookie mistakes that they are bound to make.

One sure fire way to make certain that they become anti-gun is to take your 44 mag with hot loads and MAKE them shoot it then berate/laugh at them at every opportunity.

No Excreta Taures.

New postPosted: July 12th, 2017, 2:45 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I always found the easiest way is to take them out to the desert and if they want to shoot let them do it. give them any weapon they want to shoot and make sure they use hearing protection.
the single most turn-off to new shooters is the sound.

Wife and I used to go out to the desert alot and drive around when we first got married. she wasnt keen on guns. we were out fishing one day and a buddy of mine and I were shooting the 38's. she decided she wanted to try it. she had a good time then shot all the time when we went out.

same way with the kids. they love blasting cans out in the desert doesnt make any difference if its a 22 or a bolt gun in 308 they not to keen on the ar-15's but they love the 22 center fire varmit guns and shot guns.
our boy 23 has Down syndrom he shoots a Springfield armory m1a NM hes about 4'8" tall solid muscle. hes been shooting it since he was 18 and will bust out 5 round mags pretty fast and usually hit with in reason. then laughs about it makes me give him another mag and does it again. none of the other kids like shooting it most of my adult friends dont either. he loves it.

good luck. too many rules or people around scare them off. tech them the basic firearms safety handling and then let them have a good time.

New postPosted: July 12th, 2017, 4:04 pm 
New to AZS

Great insights you guys! Sounds like some pretty solid advice.. I never really stopped to consider the fact that maybe a beginner wouldn't like an AR too much for their first time.

New postPosted: July 12th, 2017, 7:45 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I'm a fairly newly *minted* (?) NRA certified instructor, but before I got my certifications I did quite a bit of introducing new shooters to firearms.

I agree completely...start with a .22. But, I take it one (or two) steps further. I always start them out with dry-firing, using snap caps. This allows them to familiarize themselves not only with how the pistol/rifle functions, but of course allows them to gain some feel for the trigger. Then I step them up to the Aguila Super Colibri .22 ammo, which has no gunpowder but is purely primer-powered. Has the recoil & muzzle report of a BB gun, and is a great transition from dry-firing to "full-power" .22 LR. Of course, the Aguila ammo won't cycle the action on any semi-autos, so it's a single-round-at-a-time exercise, unless you're using a revolver.

After successful use of the .22, you can begin to step up the "power-factor" (for lack of a better term) and bring out the .32 ACP, .380 ACP, .38/9mm,.40, etc., until you reach a plateau, or they just no longer care to go any larger.

Use of the Aguila ammo is less of an issue while using a .22 rifle, since there's very little recoil in any case, but I feel it is quite useful with handguns. Also, just an FYI...the Aguila Super Colibri is not recommended for use in rifles. I have used it in many 16-20 in. barreled guns, but keep in mind it's only being propelled by the primer, so the bullet might not exit a long barrel!

Several students had been encouraged to shoot their husband's 9mm,.40, or .45 handguns, and hated it. After I stepped them up through the calibers as I just described, they ended up shooting those same 9mms, .40s, &.45s without any great issue or discomfort.

Obviously...all of this instruction was preceded by a "classroom session", with a serious discussion of the rules of safe gun-handling, and a basic understanding of the mechanics involved.

Tim

New postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 9:49 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Something that helps new shooters from getting discouraged is big targets, up close.

Saw this with my wife and others. Put a 4 inch bullseye target out and when they miss it with a 6 inch group they get upset at missing the target. Then put a 12 inch bullseye out and they fire the same 6 inch group but are now happy...as they are hitting the bullseye. As they get better, move the target further away at first and then start shrinking the target.

Also things that make noise when hit are a big booster of interest. Metal goes ding whether it gets hit dead center or on the edge but all the shooter cares is that they got the "ding".