"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently January 21st, 2018, 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Reloading 223 Questions
New postPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 8:22 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I currently only reload 9mm, but want to branch out into 223.

Powder:
What's a good and cheap powder for 223. Prima V is all the rage right now for 9mm.

Bullets:
I plan to pretty much just go on slickguns and grab whatever is cheap, probably 55 grain. Hornady if I can get it.

Case Prep:
I have a friend who doesn't trim his brass. Can I get away with it too? If so, I'd like to try it and see how bad the accuracy is. If I can ring a gong, it might be okay with me - at least in some instances.

Lube:
Spray with hornade one shot?

Dies:
Seems like you have to lube anyway, so might as well get lee, cheap dies?

Please excuse all of my ignorance. I am here to learn.

Post subject: Re: Reloading 223 Questions
New postPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 10:20 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I like win748 powder
You really need to trim brass. Some times I can get away with every other load, but at minimum you need to check case length after sizing.

Lee dies are excellent. I use a RCBS case lube pad and just roll a few before sizing. One shot works too, but a little pricey compared to using a pad.

New postPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 5:44 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

What type gun are you loading for?...... Semi-auto and bolt action reloads can be quite different in sizing requirements. Most .223 re-loaders are using full length sizing dies not neck only. If you don't want the hassle of sizing , trimming, etc. processed brass is available. How much money do you want to spend?.... Besides the dies, you have the primers, powder, bullets, case gauge, trimmer and on.....

Last edited by mikeAZ on November 3rd, 2017, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New postPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 6:14 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

There is potential danger in not trimming brass. Unlike the 9mm which headspaces on the case mouth the 223 headspaces on a specific spot on the shoulder. A too long case can have a long neck try to go into the leade of the rifling causing the case to crimp slightly and not release the bullet properly. This causes high chamber pressure and potentially can cause the firearm to come apart dramatically.
Buy a case trimmer. I use the Lee trimmer with the case length guage that screws into the cutter. I put the case holder in a cordless drill and it works pretty fast this way.

New postPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 8:43 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

AWoods wrote:
I currently only reload 9mm, but want to branch out into 223.

Powder:
What's a good and cheap powder for 223. Prima V is all the rage right now for 9mm.
I use XBR, but there are "cheaper" powders. CFE or TAC are probably cheaper for straight bulk reloading
Bullets:
I plan to pretty much just go on slickguns and grab whatever is cheap, probably 55 grain. Hornady if I can get it.
again, for cheap, bulk reloading, u cant beat the Hornady 55's
Case Prep:
I have a friend who doesn't trim his brass. Can I get away with it too? If so, I'd like to try it and see how bad the accuracy is. If I can ring a gong, it might be okay with me - at least in some instances.
If it was pistol brass, id say sure, u dont have to worry about case prep. Rifle brass though, you still need to atleast size and trim. if u dont want to clean the primer pockets or chamfer u dont have 2.

Lube:
Spray with hornade one shot?
HELL NO! that stuff sucks. IMO, the DILLON case lube is the best, but u can also make your own if u want
Dies:
Seems like you have to lube anyway, so might as well get lee, cheap dies?
for the most part, yes. if its just bulk reloading and nothing crazy precision, then any cheaper die will work.
Please excuse all of my ignorance. I am here to learn.

better to ask questions than screw something up

New postPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 8:55 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

For 223 with 55gr bullets, it's pretty hard to beat H335. Affordable, meters great, and performs well.

As others have mentioned, CFE, TAC, and W748 are also good choices along with BL-C(2) although almost all of these perform better with heavier bullets.

Hornady is a great choice, as are Bob's Bullets if you're really looking for economy. https://223bulkbullets.com/product-cate ... e-bullets/ Use coupon code JRBfreeship

You gotta trim that brass. Just no way around it.

Leave that One Shot on the shelf and get yourself some lanolin based lube to avoid resizing woes.

Good luck!

Video Tutorial:

New postPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 9:01 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I have been reloading .223 for the past 42 years. I’ve had best luck using IMR4198, Win 748 and H335. I’ve found that Win 748 and H335 work better with heavier bullets (60 to 70 gr)

I’ve achieved sub MOA accuracy using brand name bullets such as Speer, Sierra, Hornady, etc. Lately, I’ve been using 65 gr Sierra Game Points and 64 gr Win Power Points for hunting and Sierra 55 gr SP and Speer 50 gr TNT for plinking. Sierra makes certain bullets of the same weight and style with two jacket thicknesses. I prefer the thicker jackets because they aren’t as explosive and give better penetration.

Trimming is a pain but it’s important for good accuracy, especially if you crimp because varying case length will produce inconsistent crimps, which will cause poor accuracy.
I get my best accuracy when I don’t crimp but sometimes I have to crimp with certain bullets such as the 50 gr TNT for adequate neck tension.

In the past, I’ve used lube pads with RCBS lube and Dillon spray lube but last year I started using Imperial Die Wax and I like it better.

I have some Lee dies and they work well but I prefer to use Dillon and RCBS products because of their outstanding warranty. I have had parts break or simply wear out in the past and both Dillon and RCBS have replaced them with no questions and no charge. That’s hard to beat. I have no experience with replacing Lee parts.

I separate military and commercial brass because military brass is thicker. I also sometimes separate headstamps for consistency as there is some variance between commercial brass as well.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

New postPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 4:38 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Love threads like these. There are what here specific to the .223, a hundred or more? LOL

Anyway, keep it simple. Any decent medium burning power will work just fine across the wide range of bullets available. Everyone here knows I am a fan of Varget, H4957 and RL-15 in that order. H335 and BL(c)-2 are both excellent powders. 748 is now that they've cleaned up the formulation over the years. It used to be dirty.

Any GI case, any SRP, and call it a day. Trimming and full length sizing are important if you shoot an autoloader. Hornady One Shot works just fine. Don't let anyone tell you any different.

As for dies, any name brand die will work. Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Dillon all work fine. I actually have all five brands (don't ask why) for .223. They all work. Currently, I am running the Dillon carbide dies along with a Redding neck sizer for squeezing down the necks (a little more neck tension) and a Redding competition seater (seating depth is important for long line ammo).

New postPosted: November 4th, 2017, 6:55 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

H4957??

New postPosted: November 4th, 2017, 7:01 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

H4895.....got in a hurry.

New postPosted: November 4th, 2017, 12:16 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I reccomend the Lee Factory Crimp die. If you don't have trimmed and exactly same uniform necks, it will save you many headaches. If you KNOW that you are reloading ONCE-fired brass,...you can get away with 2 or even 3 loadings before trimming,...if using the factory crimp die. Whether you load to mere .223 pressures or the greater 5.56 pressures will determine brass life more than anything else. If always loaded to full-power 5.56, after a few times, the primer pockets will start to enlarge create an unsafe loose seat. Under recoil in the magazine, the primers could work their way out or blow when fired and get into the trigger mechanism and cause bad things.

A Roman Senator suggested all slaves wear white armbands to identify them.

"No," said a wiser one,
"If they see how many of them there are, they may revolt."

New postPosted: November 5th, 2017, 10:40 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

The only way you're going to know for sure when it's time to trim is to measure.

I've had once fired 223 brass that was .005 under minimum, and up to .010 over max.

Either measure them all, or run them all through the trimmer.

New postPosted: November 5th, 2017, 4:32 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Mine get run through the trimmer after every firing / resizing.

New postPosted: November 6th, 2017, 2:02 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

John Kuhns wrote:

As do mine. Giraud makes it fast/easy. Believe you have one as well, no?

New postPosted: November 6th, 2017, 3:30 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Jeff H wrote:
John Kuhns wrote:

As do mine. Giraud makes it fast/easy. Believe you have one as well, no?

As do mine (disregard the 30-06 designation, there is a similar tool head for .223).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.