ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 20th, 2018, 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Is 12ga worth loading anymore?
New postPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 2:28 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I'm nearing the end of the powder and wads I bought a few years ago, and I've been wondering if I should buy more? My buddy showed up to dove hunt with a $20 100 round pack of Winchester loads, which seems pretty inexpensive to me.

Post subject: Re: Is 12ga worth loading anymore?
New postPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 3:12 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

If you figured in not only the components but your time also , buying is much cheaper.
I know there are a lot more things I would rather be doing than setting at a bench punching out ammo.
If you were making precision ammo or some exotic caliber it would be worth it.

New postPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 5:14 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Yup, yup....

New postPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 8:45 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

tobylazur wrote:
I'm nearing the end of the powder and wads I bought a few years ago, and I've been wondering if I should buy more? My buddy showed up to dove hunt with a $20 100 round pack of Winchester loads, which seems pretty inexpensive to me.

Till it's not available, during the next shortage, and there will be one, you will wish you have stocked up when it was available.

New postPosted: September 4th, 2017, 6:06 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Phoenix David wrote:
tobylazur wrote:

Till it's not available, during the next shortage, and there will be one, you will wish you have stocked up when it was available.

Exactly. I reload spreaders and other exotics at this point, and also .410 bore, but not regular 12 gauge or 20 gauge because of what they can be purchased for.

I do have enough powder and components for a bunch of shells though. It doesn't take up that much room.

New postPosted: September 4th, 2017, 7:09 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Regardless of cost I follow a rather simple viewpoint.

Better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

I'm sure people will agree to this. Lets face it people, prices go up and not down to the point it's going to come down to a small return investment in the long run.

Not to mention the knowledge and abilities that seem to be lacking in todays world.

New postPosted: September 25th, 2017, 2:12 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Dollar wise you'll save by buying and stocking up on 12 or 20ga Dove & Quail loads during the seasonal promotions.

The reason I hand loaded shot shells for years is simply much better performance. My pet peeve is preferring #7, not 7 1/2 shot size for Dove, Quail and Cotton Tails. Hand loads can be loaded to higher velocity than the seasonal promotional 1 oz shot shells. I used to load 1 1/2 oz loads for Quail and 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 for Dove. I could open the chokes up on my O/U using the improved and modified tubes getting nice and very dense patterns with the extra shot.

The promo shells I discovered, Remington especially were not always delivering enough oomph to reliably work in my late 60's Remington and early 1970 Winchester auto loaders. Possibly with improvements in shot gun and shot shell technology the promo shells may work more reliably in autos today.

Since the hey-day of Dove hunting is long gone. Back when limits were higher, shotgun barrels would get heated up and dawn on opening morning sounded like a mad minute in combat. It wasn't unusual to down 20 birds in less than an hour. There are so few Dove and Quail near the city to justify the time and effort to drag out, set up my shot shell loading equipment and crank out hundreds of hand loads.

For self defense shot shells I prefer my hand loaded buck and ball or BB hand loads. One can get really creative loading 12ga SD shells. Haven't done it myself but I've had described to me some bad ass hand loaded 410's to be used in 45/410 revolvers. If I shot a lot of 410's or oddballs like 16 or 10ga. I'd start hand loading shot shells again simply to avoid the high cost and rip-off price of 410's.

One thing I miss about my hand loads was teaching a new shooter about leading a bird. I used to load very mild shells with powdered Jello and a couple of pop corn kernels in the shot cup. The colored Jello dust cloud and visible in flight kernels would indicate how far ahead but more often behind they were shooting at a bird or clay pigeon.

New postPosted: September 25th, 2017, 5:47 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Thats a great idea with the jello and kernels. My 3 youngest are just now getting into shotguns and would love to use this idea. What did you use for the load? If you dont mind me asking.

Si vis Pacem, Para bellum - if you want Peace, prepare for War

I was gunrunnerx before gunrunner wasnt cool

New postPosted: September 27th, 2017, 1:10 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

gunrunnerx wrote:
Thats a great idea with the jello and kernels. My 3 youngest are just now getting into shotguns and would love to use this idea. What did you use for the load? If you dont mind me asking.

Sorry been way to many years to recall the loads I used. Lost all my notes and notations in manuals in a house fire. I do recall most my loads used HERCO and a now discontinued Winchester powder. I recall using Unique in mild practice loads.

Be certain to use the powdered Jello (or bright colored Kool-Aid) in the shot cup, not in the powder. Doesn't take much to make a dust cloud. The pop corn kernels are also useful in taking up space in the hand loaded shot cup. If the shot load does not fill the cup up high enough to get a good even crimp or leaves a large hole on top of the crimped shell. Usually one kernel will fix it. If you get a bad crimp that leaves a hole top of the shell. Drip some candle wax into it will usually keep the shot in place. Forked up crimps should be avoided in autos. I've shot hundreds, perhaps thousands with pop corn kernels. Usually loading a 1 1/4 or 1 1/8 load in a 1 1/2 cup. Don't worry it wont pop in flight.

I always taught kids to keep moving and leading the bird after they shoot. New shooters have a tendency to stop leading and moving just the moment before pulling the trigger and shoot way behind the bird or clay.

New postPosted: October 21st, 2017, 12:27 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Reloading dove/quail loads for 20 or 12 gauge has NEVER been worth is.

Not if you are buying shot at retail anyway.

If you have a source of discount or reclaimed shot, yeah it's worth it. Loading extra low recoil rounds for my 11 year old daughter, worth it. Normal dove loads? Cheaper to buy.

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/MarkHorning

New postPosted: October 27th, 2017, 5:40 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

NVGdude wrote:
Reloading dove/quail loads for 20 or 12 gauge has NEVER been worth is.

You're absolutely right when compared to the seasonal promotional shells. If you want to raise velocity and send a heavier 1 3/8 or even 1 1/2 load of shot you can't beat handloading. With high velocity loads, dove and quail drop almost instantly and you wont waste time searching for them.

New postPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 10:24 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Even if you aren't reloading you should be stockpiling while it's Cheap..