"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently January 18th, 2018, 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: My new cast bullet lube
New postPosted: July 25th, 2017, 5:06 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I purchased CRC dry moly spray and tried it out my cast bullets.
Its like $12 an 11oz can at Grainger. No more mess, No extensive labor and hopefully No more dirty guns.

I took my LEE 6 cavity 9mm RN tumble lube mold bullets and ran them through a LEE .356 bullets sizer. I then put the bullets in a plastic container and swirled them around as I sprayed them with CRC dry moly. After they were all covered good in the moly coating I let them dry for a few hours in the hot garage, spread out on a plastic garbage bag. I cant wait to test them out. I will also try the DuPont Teflon dry spray, as soon as my order arrives. I might even try a combination with both sprays and see what happens.

Post subject: Re: My new cast bullet lube
New postPosted: July 26th, 2017, 8:39 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Some of the worst leading I've ever had was with "moly" coated cast bullets. Some company about 20 years ago was selling them at gun shows claiming that there were the best thing ever. I bought one 500 pack and ended up melting the rest down after the debacle. Let us know how it works....

New postPosted: July 26th, 2017, 2:02 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Good luck with that. Every time I have heard of people doing basically the same thing (spray or tumbling with moly) it has ended in leading issues. Now depending on the hardness of the lead, what you sized to and the weapon it is fired in you could see some measure of success as Glen Fryxell has fired unlubed cast lead bullets at magnum velocities in handguns without leading. In his case it came down to proper lead hardness and sizing the bullets so they fit the throats of the revolvers.

New postPosted: July 27th, 2017, 7:28 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I did some testing years ago for Lee Precision with moly. Applied it several different ways including spraying. With some bullets, loads, and gun combos it was adequate. Most handgun bullets would lead, and rifle bullets were a disaster!
Lee tumble lube worked better and using Veral Smith's Blue soft lube lube as a tumble lube worked very well. I also at times would apply the Blue Soft by hand and shoot the bullets as cast.
The best coating I have found for all bullets is the Hi-Tec baked on coating. More work but the end result is about like shooting a jacketed bullet, even in rifles.

New postPosted: July 27th, 2017, 11:27 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

If I can get the same results I have from Bear Creek or Billy Bullets that are moly coated, then I will be satisfied.

My lead alloy mix is 9lbs of pure lead, 9lbs of quality clip on wheel weights and 1lb of tin lately. With this alloy mix and properly sized cast bullets utilizing conventional lubes I have not had any issues.

New postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 10:35 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Pale Rider wrote:
Some of the worst leading I've ever had was with "moly" coated cast bullets. Some company about 20 years ago was selling them at gun shows claiming that there were the best thing ever. I bought one 500 pack and ended up melting the rest down after the debacle. Let us know how it works....

Danny Cox, Precision Bullets is the guy you are talking about. Never leaded my barrels but I still have a couple with black moly lube in them. I liked his bullets and shot about 100K of them. I was going to distribute them for him and he backed out at the last minute and let some woman be the distributor, this is the only reason I stopped using the bullets. Guy totally effed me after I put in the ground work and already had a shit ton sold, don't think he could make what I could sell so he let some woman named Carla take it.

They are still made but I think he let the woman run the company and ended up selling it to her or someone else.

New postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 11:24 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I've had excellent results using store-bought moly lubed bullets. I do however hand load them very mild, suitable for revolvers only. I've mildly loaded some 380's and 9's. Didn't get any leading but the reliability was dismal. Simply not enough ooomph to drive the slide all the way. The mild moly slugs were fine for punching holes in paper or killing tin cans but I'd never want to bet my life on them.

New postPosted: August 8th, 2017, 4:07 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

The moly spray worked well for my 45acp 230gr. cast loads at 800 fps. :D They did moly foul on my 9mm 129gr. cast out of my 16" carbine barrel though, [smilie=icon_sad.gif] probably because of the higher velocity. I will probably just tumble lube the 9mm cast bullets for my AR carbine and just deal with the sticky mess so that the barrel is easier to clean.

New postPosted: August 8th, 2017, 7:58 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

A few years back either here or another group. A poster claimed he sprayed Hornady's resizing lube on moly coated cast bullets. Best I recall he claimed higher velocity, clean bore and no mess. I've wondered if it would really work or was it some poster's internet imagination at work.

I'm still doing my home cast the ol'fashion way. Either using hard lube with a heater on gas checked hot loads or Lee goo on mild loads. I'm sure there are more modern, likely even more efficient methods but as far as I'm concerned. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I haven't leaded a bore in years. If I shot as often as I did 20 years ago I'd likely be looking into the newer methods.

New postPosted: January 3rd, 2018, 7:33 pm 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

My best luck was staying with the lube when you size them