ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 22 Dec 2014, 02:26

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone had issues reloading *EDIT* "FC" Headstamp .223...
New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 10:55 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

... for match shooting? I have about 4000 peices of once fired crimped primer Remington stamped ("Rem 223 F C" on the base) and a friend had just told me that he believed that there had been problems with this brass holding primers after the first or second reload (he said he was not positive - that it may have been federal?). Anyway - before I invest in the stuff to clear the primer pocket on these I'd like to understand if they are going to be suitable for reloading match loads (for CMP Service rifle stuff... research tells me I'll probably end up somewhere in the range of 24.5 gr of Varget behind 77gr Matchkings).

Anyone had a bad experience with these?

Thanks...

Last edited by BigNate on 21 May 2010, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Anyone had issues reloading Remington Headstamp .223...
New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 11:03 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Remington brass is almost universally avoided in the High Power competitive circles, at least from my experience and myself included.

Remington brass is very soft and the primer pockets give out sometimes after only 1 firing.

I personally consider Remington brass to be not worth reloading.

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 11:12 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

What you have there is Federal brass (FC headstamp). Most people do not load FC for the same reasons listed above by C_G.

I have not come across any crimped pocket Remington brass, so far.

Last edited by Jeff H on 20 May 2010, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 11:13 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Ceramic_God wrote:
Remington brass is almost universally avoided in the High Power competitive circles, at least from my experience and myself included.

Remington brass is very soft and the primer pockets give out sometimes after only 1 firing.

I personally consider Remington brass to be not worth reloading.

I have heard the same about commercial brass but he said its primer pockets was crimped which leads me to believe it is military do you think it may be stronger brass ? I also understand that commercial Winchester brass ins't all that strong but the brass stamped WCC is real good stuff.

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 11:20 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Jeff H wrote:
What you have there is Federal brass (FC headstamp). Most people do not load FC for the same reasons listed above by C_G.

I picked up like 900 pieces of FC brass once at the range. Since i'm cheap I took a chance and loaded it. there are a few that are on there third loading and the primer pocket still feels tight.

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 11:22 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Well, whatever you do - if you do it right, it won't be unsafe, you just may be disappointed with the long term longevity.

I stick to LC and Winchester.

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 11:42 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

It's true that almost no one loads FC other than me but it makes it easy to pick out my brass after a match since no one else wants it :D
But I also load what I'm going to shoot on the weekend just in case the brass has reach the end of its useful life I won't end up pulling a few hundred rounds.

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 12:14 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I have a bunch of M193 Headstamp brass that I suspect is made by Federal. I loaded up 20 rounds that I'm going to test by firing and reloading until they're no longer acceptable. Reason? As I said, I have a bunch of it and nobody I've asked seems to know anything about the M193 brass. Just gonna have to find out if it's any good on my own. I'll letcha know. :)

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 13:45 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Jeff H wrote:
I have a bunch of M193 Headstamp brass that I suspect is made by Federal. I loaded up 20 rounds that I'm going to test by firing and reloading until they're no longer acceptable. Reason? As I said, I have a bunch of it and nobody I've asked seems to know anything about the M193 brass. Just gonna have to find out if it's any good on my own. I'll letcha know. :)

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I have a bunch of M193 collected after firing that Centurion stuff which they advertise is US Made.
No crimped pocket - sound like your stuff?

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 13:53 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

SweetKnuckles wrote:

I have a bunch of M193 collected after firing that Centurion stuff which they advertise is US Made.
No crimped pocket - sound like your stuff?

Yup. Same stuff!

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 13:57 
New to AZS

Ireload Federal & Remington brass without any problems all the time.

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 14:29 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I have buckets of this stuff once fired form the Border Patrol leaving it on the ground and I have found that as long as I am not loading heavy bullet/max loads it works fine. I use it for 55 gr plinking ammo and don't have any issues. When I load 62 gr pulled green tips or heavy BTHP match bullets I use LC and commercial Winchester which I have lots of also.

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 14:51 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Intel 6 wrote:
I have buckets of this stuff once fired form the Border Patrol leaving it on the ground and I have found that as long as I am not loading heavy bullet/max loads it works fine. I use it for 55 gr plinking ammo and don't have any issues.

For clarity, are you referring to the FC or M193?

New postPosted: 20 May 2010, 17:05 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Jeff H wrote:
Intel 6 wrote:
I have buckets of this stuff once fired form the Border Patrol leaving it on the ground and I have found that as long as I am not loading heavy bullet/max loads it works fine. I use it for 55 gr plinking ammo and don't have any issues.

For clarity, are you referring to the FC or M193?

FC

I have picked up two types of FC .223 brass from the Border Patrol. The stuff mentioned above and the same basic thing with a military style headstamp that is just an "FC" and then a 2 digit date like"07" under it.

The Border Patrol also shoots .223 with a Speer headstamp but they are basically the same thing as the FC cases as they are all made by ATK. It is obvious because the case heads/primer/crimp look exactly the same as the FC stuff I mentioned above. The Speer stuff is all I have been getting lately, haven't seen the FC in a while.

There was a time when they used to shoot a Winchester training ammo (55 gr FMJ and 64 gr PP in the tan ranger boxes) that was loaded in commercial Winchester cases without a crimped primer. I was lucky to score on a bucket or two of that also back then and hoard that stuff for special occasions. :D

New postPosted: 21 May 2010, 15:02 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

For clarity this is what I have...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.