ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 12:31

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Custom Search

Post subject: Anyone Using Hodgdon Longshot?
New postPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 10:04 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I'm getting ready to load up some 40 S&W with 180gr Hornady XTP's. Took a peek at Hodgdon's Data and it looks like Longshot moves bullets pretty quick with good pressures.

Anyone tried it?

Post subject: Re: Anyone Using Hodgdon Longshot?
New postPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 12:54 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I have in .40 and 10mm. It is a potent powder for sure. The loads you will make with Longshot will be very loud and snappy, but you will get high velocities if that's what you're looking for. I came to the same conclusion you did 10 yrs ago, that looking at load manuals, Longshot has one of the best velocity to pressure ratios for those calibers. 800X is great as well, but meters for crap.

New postPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 15:17 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Thanks for the info, Dave!

I'm going to be loading it for my Ruger Police Carbine so I'm not worried about the recoil.

New postPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 17:27 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

You're welcome. Let us know how it works out for you. I wouldn't be surprised if you get close to 1,500fps out of your carbine.

New postPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 18:26 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Will do. I stopped and picked up a pound on my way home tonight. Will probably shoot and chrono (thanks, rszkutak!) some this weekend.

New postPosted: 23 May 2010, 20:58 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Finally got out and chrono'd a work up load. Using Speer brass, Winchester primers, and Hornady 180gr XTP's I did a 16 round ladder load starting at 6.5 grains and ending at 8.0 grains. 6.5 grains yielded 1124 fps and 8 grains produced 1342 fps.

At 50 yards, the 16 shots produced a pattern approx 3" high and 1.5" wide (center to center). Shots 10-14 only had a 21fps ED, and those 5 touched each other on the target. Looks like something in the 7.4-7.8 grains will be the ticket for this round.

Data:

(Shot-Grains-Velocity)

1-6.5-1124
2-6.6-1153
3-6.7-1161
4-6.8-1184
5-6.9-1210
6-7.0-1227
7-7.1-1265
8-7.2-1258
9-7.3-1248
10-7.4-1291
11-7.5-1292
12-7.6-1294
13-7.7-1313
14-7.8-1312
15-7.9-1284
16-8.0-1342

Target at 50 yards:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Jeff H on 23 Jun 2010, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

New postPosted: 27 May 2010, 15:10 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I'm using Longshot to build up a 9mm Major load right now. So far I've noticed that due to the thick flake, or very smashed ball, shape of the powder, it doesn't meter well with my Lee adjustable charge bar -- the round charge disk cavities work much better for consistent metering.

From the research I've done, you can easily and safely* work up a good high velocity load with it in pistol, but that in lighter loads, it doesn't burn consistently, leaving lots of unburned granules or powder behind. I'll update you guys as I get some velocities back.

I got this file from the Brian Enos forums. Search around there for an entire thread based on the stuff.

*obviously, watch your signs, etc

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New postPosted: 31 May 2010, 18:54 
New to AZS

Hi there,
FYI, I've been hand loading for nearly 3 decades. I state this because it is easy to get into trouble with hand loading from some who have little or no practical knowledge of the process. I am very particular and careful in every single aspect of the process.
Anyway, I've been loading 40 S&W with Longshot for several years and just love it. It burns really clean, produces accurate high velocity loads, and pressure signs are well within acceptable guidlines. My favorite is the 155 grain XTPHP which utilizes 7.5 grains to 9.3 grains of Longshot. This has chronographed at at 1300 fps, +/- 10 fps, with a 9.0 grain charge. Velocity and other factors may vary depending on the firearm being used.
Recently I bought some 180 grain bullets and used a 7.5 grain charge. The SAMMI range for this powder/cartridge/ bullet combination is 6.5 grains to 8.0 grains of Longshot. I wasn't very happy with the results using this big bullet, as it produced too much recoil, and the velocity fell sharply to less than 1000 fps ( 988 average 15 rounds).
I think the 180 grain bullet is more suitable for the 10mm being velocity doesn't take such a dive. Recoil is going to be a factor regardless of which cartridge is being utilized but will most certainly increase with velocity. But since you are using the 180 grain bullet Longshot will still fill the bill better than any other powder for the 40 S&W application in my opinion.
Gamestalker[quote]When seconds count, the police are only minutes away![quote]

New postPosted: 31 May 2010, 19:13 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

gamestalker1 wrote:
Hi there,
FYI, I've been hand loading for nearly 3 decades. I state this because it is easy to get into trouble with hand loading from some who have little or no practical knowledge of the process. I am very particular and careful in every single aspect of the process.
Anyway, I've been loading 40 S&W with Longshot for several years and just love it. It burns really clean, produces accurate high velocity loads, and pressure signs are well within acceptable guidlines. My favorite is the 155 grain XTPHP which utilizes 7.5 grains to 9.3 grains of Longshot. This has chronographed at at 1300 fps, +/- 10 fps, with a 9.0 grain charge. Velocity and other factors may vary depending on the firearm being used.
Recently I bought some 180 grain bullets and used a 7.5 grain charge. The SAMMI range for this powder/cartridge/ bullet combination is 6.5 grains to 8.0 grains of Longshot. I wasn't very happy with the results using this big bullet, as it produced too much recoil, and the velocity fell sharply to less than 1000 fps ( 988 average 15 rounds).
I think the 180 grain bullet is more suitable for the 10mm being velocity doesn't take such a dive. Recoil is going to be a factor regardless of which cartridge is being utilized but will most certainly increase with velocity. But since you are using the 180 grain bullet Longshot will still fill the bill better than any other powder for the 40 S&W application in my opinion.
Gamestalker
Quote:
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Quote:

I'll bet the 180 gr with Longshot is pretty snappy in a handgun! It's a lot of fun in the carbine though.

I tried a few 155gr XTP's with Titegroup but the rifle didn't like them nearly as much. I'm going to use the rest of the box with some Longshot and see how the XD likes 'em.

New postPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 11:19 
New to AZS

I guess I some how missed the fact that you've been shooting them through a rifle. Sounds like a lot of fun! I've loaded those 155s for the XD and they perform very well. Its especially nice when using the Longshot regarding the powder throw, because the more you put in the case, the better the pressures stabilize, and accuracy too. As with most slow burning powder applications, it is always of more importance to not under charge, as that will cause your pressures to rise. In a full chambered handgun such as the XD, Beretta 92s, and the other high quality stuff I don't hesitate to give them the full charge of a good slow burning powder and then I work down if I have problems. But that is me.
gamestalker
"When Seconds Count, THe Police Are Only A Few Minutes Away"

New postPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 11:43 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I've been using blue dot with xtp 180gr for 10mm and it seems to work well.
I have had a few people tell me to try longshot and from what I see it works quite well I'll have to try some.

New postPosted: 13 Jun 2010, 19:46 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Tried some 155gr XTP's today with 7.5 grains in the XD. It was pretty snappy!

Ave.: 1116.3
S.D.: 12.2

New postPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 16:10 
New to AZS

Its good to hear of others like myself that enjoy getting all they can from their hand loads. The load I'm currently seeing amazing results with is the 155 gr. XTP in my .40 S&W using 9.3 grains of Longshot. I put these loads through the chronograph and they are pushing just a smidge over 1300 fps.. Almost 10mm velocities! No high pressure problems or signs, just lots of knock down power and obvious recoil. I just get this warm and squishy feeling when I load my own and they put any factory round to shame. By the way, 9.3 of Longshot is looking like a compressed load and that is a good thing in several aspects. It helps to maintain a consistent velocity, create a forum for accuracy due to near identical powder burn, none of that black brass on one side of the case that you get with light charges of fast burning powders caused by too much unoccupied case space. In fact, the brass comes out looking nice and clean without one single extraction issue.
I'll undate you on the next load for this cartridge that is in the 1500 fps neighborhood. I haven't tested it yet, but I do have the experts load data and it is being labled a 40 S&W magnum load! Wow, it is going to really cool to safely produce 10mm results with a 40 S&W.

New postPosted: 23 Jun 2010, 10:35 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

THESE ARE BEYOND MAXIMUM BOOK LOADS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RECREATE.

As promised, I'm reporting back after starting using Longshot for my Major9 loads.

I loaded two different loads, both 124gr MontanaGodl CMJ, OAL 1.150, .379" crimp, Federal small rifle primers at both 6.2gr and 6.6gr (.53cc and .57cc of powder, respectively.) The burn was clean, recoil not harsh, and both the bore and comps looked cleaner after I shot the longshot than beforehand. I don't have any speed data on them yet. Book maximum is 5.7gr at 1.090, and a 165pf at 1.145-1.150oal according to the enos forums major9 spreadsheet should be around 7.2-7.4gr. My loads were nearly identical to those listed in the spreadsheet of making 157pf. I was happy with the burning performance of longshot.

However, I could not make a consistent throw with the adjustable charge bar in my Lee Pro autodisk powder measure due to the rather large granule size of the longshot powder -- I had to use the static-sized disks instead to get a consistent throw. The disk holes are perfectly round, while the adjustable charge bar is football shaped at those powder throws, which leads me to believe the narrow corners in the adjustable bar don't fill consistently. If I don't get better performance widening the adjustable bar in the +7.0gr range (I was working mainly in the upper 5gr range when I discovered the anomaly) and can't find a static disk size that makes 165-170pf, I'll have to switch to another powder to make major safely.

I'll send another update when I get some chrono statistics.

Pics for clicks:

New postPosted: 23 Jun 2010, 11:13 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Thanks for the follow up.

FWIW, I do not get a dead on throw of Longshot in my Hornady LNL powder measure either. It varies +/- .1 grain and occasionally .2 grain. However, the target charge for my final load (40 S&W) was 7.3 grains so I didn't sweat it. Velocities and SD looked good in the sample I tested.