"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently June 28th, 2017, 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Scales
New postPosted: April 19th, 2017, 5:17 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Location: behind you, beside you, in front of you in Phoenix.az , with you.
WEll the reloading room has three, an electronic, and two balance, and not one matched the other in weighing. WTF, the electronic, well not an expensive one, worked a while back quite well. Its gonna go in the shitcan.
the two balance scales, name brand, just wouldn't balance out evenly.

So, i'm in the market for an electronic unit, been perusing the sites, lots of pros and cons on a gaggle of them.

Please share some thoughts on what you use, why, and any con's.

thanks ahead of time
Rj

Post subject: Re: Scales
New postPosted: April 19th, 2017, 6:20 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Get a Dillon. .10 grain accuracy and comes with a calibration weight so you can check and adjust it any time you choose. If it stops working Dillon will replace it.

New postPosted: April 19th, 2017, 6:35 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I thought a digital readout would be cool so I bought an RCBS electronic scale a while back and was very disappointed in it. It was finicky, gave false readings and was absolutely worthless for use with a powder trickler. When it did work, everything I did with it took longer than it did with a beam scale. It ended up in the trash.
I have since gone back to using my Ohaus beam scale and life is good again. I'll never waste my money on a digital scale again so long as my beam scale is working. Sometimes the old ways are best.

New postPosted: April 19th, 2017, 1:43 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I've got a 20 year old RCBS Electronic Partner scale that's worked perfectly the whole time I have it and checks out perfectly with my check weights.

You might want to give some thought to the "lifetime warranty" that Dillon is said to have. This is from their own website this morning:
http://www.dillonprecision.com/d-termin ... 25213.html
All the electrical/electronic components of Dillon equipment are covered by a one-year warranty from date of purchase.

New postPosted: April 19th, 2017, 2:53 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I have up on digital scales because they won't accurately pick up trickling unless you spend some big bucks. For beam scales, the only current production scale I will use is a Wedding. All others are shitty imports. An old M4 or Ohaus 1010 would be my first choice.

New postPosted: April 19th, 2017, 8:14 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Flash wrote:
I've got a 20 year old RCBS Electronic Partner scale that's worked perfectly the whole time I have it and checks out perfectly with my check weights.

You might want to give some thought to the "lifetime warranty" that Dillon is said to have. This is from their own website this morning:
http://www.dillonprecision.com/d-termin ... 25213.html
All the electrical/electronic components of Dillon equipment are covered by a one-year warranty from date of purchase.

Heed this warning. I had a dillon tumber that lasted about 18 months. Maybe 10 to 12 hrs on the POS.

About scales, my Lyman micro touch has been great for the last 7 or so years.

New postPosted: April 19th, 2017, 10:53 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

See Flash's Oct. 1, 2015 post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=212608&hilit=digital+scale

His comments helped me understand why my Dillon D-Terminator caused me to pull my hair out when using a trickler.

New postPosted: April 20th, 2017, 6:10 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Will someone kindly explain why a digital scale is so much better than an analog scale? What exactly is the advantage?

I’m a gadget guy myself but only when the gadgets are an improvement over the old fashioned way. From what I’m reading here and in the above link, some of you guys are jumping through a lot of hoops in the form of line filters, spoon feeding, etc for the pleasure of viewing a digital scale readout.

I could be mistaken but my experience with the RCBS Partner POS I owned was that it was more time consuming and took more effort to achieve the same result.
I saw absolutely no difference in the accuracy of the rifle and pistol rounds I loaded using a digital scale vs the ammo loaded using an analog scale.
Then there is the difference in price. How do you justify the extra expense? You certainly aren't paying for increased performance with a digital, at least not in my experience.

New postPosted: April 20th, 2017, 10:22 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Bottom Gun wrote:
Will someone kindly explain why a digital scale is so much better than an analog scale? What exactly is the advantage?

I’m a gadget guy myself but only when the gadgets are an improvement over the old fashioned way. From what I’m reading here and in the above link, some of you guys are jumping through a lot of hoops in the form of line filters, spoon feeding, etc for the pleasure of viewing a digital scale readout.

I could be mistaken but my experience with the RCBS Partner POS I owned was that it was more time consuming and took more effort to achieve the same result.
I saw absolutely no difference in the accuracy of the rifle and pistol rounds I loaded using a digital scale vs the ammo loaded using an analog scale.
Then there is the difference in price. How do you justify the extra expense? You certainly aren't paying for increased performance with a digital, at least not in my experience.

I think the advantage is speed, but unfortunately the scales marketed towards reloading are of lower quality. I think if people spent hundreds of dollars on a laboratory grade scale then you could take advantage of the benefits of digital. I'll stick to my beam.

New postPosted: April 20th, 2017, 10:42 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I've used this the last 3 years. Works great for me and it's not irritatingly slow when trickling.

My Weigh SCGEMPRO250 250 GemPro 250 50g x 0.001g Scale https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C3I3AA/re ... -ybYWMV9XZ

New postPosted: April 21st, 2017, 10:06 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

friend has pact scale he has been using for years.

have read that florescent lights can affect scales also.

when I can get the right lighting and keep the breeze off
the pact will come into play for me.

but the old beam has worked well for years

New postPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 1:40 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

need to keep the balance beams extreamly clean and dry.
the pivot points are what makes them un accurate. dust and or powder gets in them and they dont pivot correctly. I used rocket fuel in the past( extreamly light oil for bass reel bearings) it helps but after a few days it pics up dust.
on electronic scales you may want to add some weight to it then trickle powder into it. one of our scales at work wont weigh parts in ounces perfectly. we put a 5 oz weight in there zero'd and it weighs 1/16 and 1/8 oz's perfectly.( I havent tried it on my dillion yet. I figure a small 50 grain weight might help.)
were looking to get a new digital scale at work just dont feel like spending 750+ for a decent one with a small deviation. scales suck super accurate ones are expensive but worth it if you use them often

New postPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 7:24 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

If you are loading in the building in your backyard with a window a/c unit in it this could be part of the problem. When the cooler is on in my garage I either shut it off when weighing powder or stick it in the cabinet out of the draft. Also if your electronic is a PACT unit you might want to ditch it. I have one that has been sent in for repairs 3 or 4 times and the last time it took 6 months and came back no better than when I sent it in. So much for Lifetime warranty!
The info here on cleaning the balance beam pivots is valid.
Didn't see Gil's PM until today, was at Bartlett until late yesterday. Am home today if you are still having problems. I have an old RCBS BB and a newer Lyman digital.

New postPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 7:54 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Bottom Gun wrote:

Definitely speed as mentioned above. I have both digital and balance and when I pretty much use the balance and check weights to verify my digital. Over the years both Dillon and RCBS served me well although I preferred the RCBS 750.

New postPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 1:11 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Speed is the main difference as a ton of people here have mentioned.

I want to know what the weight is of a charge, I throw it in the pan.

With an electronic scale I know immediately.

With my balance scale, I've got to futz around with the poises to get the weight.

If I'm doing more than a couple, I'll take the speed every time.