"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently May 25th, 2017, 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: .22-250 Loads
New postPosted: March 20th, 2017, 10:27 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Just picked up a .22 250 and was wondering what everyone's favorite load is for the .22 250.

Post subject: Re: .22-250 Loads
New postPosted: March 26th, 2017, 11:17 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

5054 wrote:
Just picked up a .22 250 and was wondering what everyone's favorite load is for the .22 250.

Been 20 or more years since I last loaded 22-250. What I can tell you from my experience loading and shooting it in two rifles. Both rifles were Remington 700's, one BDL with heavy factory varmint barrel and an ADL with standard barrel I won in a poker game.

My best shot to shot accuracy was achieved with hand loads at least 10% below published max. The three powders I got the best accuracy were IMR 4350, IMR 3031 and Winchester 748. Keep in mind with me working from memory I might be wrong about powder. Which ever powder load I derived from a 1970's manual that proved to be best. I was shooting 200 yard quarter sized clusters bench rested with the heavy barrel.

I quickly discovered max published velocity, accuracy suffers, more strays and barrel life is supposedly reduced. Loading data of years past was more generous than published today. My 1970's 10% below max might exceed today's published max.

No need to push it to max. Losing 200FPS for superior accuracy well worth it. The 22-250 below max is still pushing the bullet faster than any other center fire 22 except the barrel burning 220 Swift. You will get more than enough oomph to immediately drop a coyote or roll a bobcat. I'm guessing again but I believe it was a Hornady or Speer 53gr HP that was literally explosive on varmints.

Keep your bore very clean. The hyper velocity has a tendency to copper foul the barrel. I've read on various boards Varget powder is wonderful for 22-250. It wasn't around when I was loading 22-250 but might be worth a try.

New postPosted: March 27th, 2017, 8:13 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

AzRednek wrote:
5054 wrote:

Been 20 or more years since I last loaded 22-250. What I can tell you from my experience loading and shooting it in two rifles. Both rifles were Remington 700's, one BDL with heavy factory varmint barrel and an ADL with standard barrel I won in a poker game.

My best shot to shot accuracy was achieved with hand loads at least 10% below published max. The three powders I got the best accuracy were IMR 4350, IMR 3031 and Winchester 748. Keep in mind with me working from memory I might be wrong about powder. Which ever powder load I derived from a 1970's manual that proved to be best. I was shooting 200 yard quarter sized clusters bench rested with the heavy barrel.

I quickly discovered max published velocity, accuracy suffers, more strays and barrel life is supposedly reduced. Loading data of years past was more generous than published today. My 1970's 10% below max might exceed today's published max.

No need to push it to max. Losing 200FPS for superior accuracy well worth it. The 22-250 below max is still pushing the bullet faster than any other center fire 22 except the barrel burning 220 Swift. You will get more than enough oomph to immediately drop a coyote or roll a bobcat. I'm guessing again but I believe it was a Hornady or Speer 53gr HP that was literally explosive on varmints.

Keep your bore very clean. The hyper velocity has a tendency to copper foul the barrel. I've read on various boards Varget powder is wonderful for 22-250. It wasn't around when I was loading 22-250 but might be worth a try.

Thanks for the insight! Greatly appreciated.

New postPosted: March 27th, 2017, 10:00 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Depending on twist for what bullet you will be able to use but I have had excellent accuracy with H380 and IMR 4064 with 50-60 grain bullets and R-17 with the 69gr match Kings.

New postPosted: March 27th, 2017, 10:37 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

STOMP442 wrote:
Depending on twist for what bullet you will be able to use but I have had excellent accuracy with H380 and IMR 4064 with 50-60 grain bullets and R-17 with the 69gr match Kings.

It's a 1:14 twist so will need to stay on the lighter side as far a bullet weight. I'll look into the H380 and 4064 loads.

New postPosted: March 27th, 2017, 11:06 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Just a suggestion. 22-250 was originally a wildcat cartridge named by the founder Bruce Hodgden, 22 Varmiter. Hodgden of powder fame put a lot of time into it. As a matter of fact FWIW my old RCBS reloading die set is marked 22 Varmiter. If his story developing his wildcat is on the net anywhere. It might make for some useful reading and give you some insight. I recall reading about it years ago in a gun rag long before the internet. As I recall Hodgden experimented with various rifling twists, different powders and bullet weights. If I recall correctly Hodgden's goal was to develop a hyper velocity 22 varmint cartridge without prematurely wearing out barrels.

New postPosted: March 28th, 2017, 9:06 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

AzRednek wrote:
Just a suggestion. 22-250 was originally a wildcat cartridge named by the founder Bruce Hodgden, 22 Varmiter. Hodgden of powder fame put a lot of time into it. As a matter of fact FWIW my old RCBS reloading die set is marked 22 Varmiter. If his story developing his wildcat is on the net anywhere. It might make for some useful reading and give you some insight. I recall reading about it years ago in a gun rag long before the internet. As I recall Hodgden experimented with various rifling twists, different powders and bullet weights. If I recall correctly Hodgden's goal was to develop a hyper velocity 22 varmint cartridge without prematurely wearing out barrels.

I'll definitely pop that info into the google machine and see what comes up! I currently have about 400 rds of 50gr factory vmax that I'll shoot up and then load. Opinions on buying a neck sizing die compared to a Full Length resizing die for .22-250? Huge benefit in fire forming the brass compared to not?

New postPosted: March 30th, 2017, 12:23 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Generally neck size only gives the best shot to shot accuracy, often allows a bit extra space for more powder and increases brass life. However if you're a perfectionist and willing to painstakingly experiment. You might as well get get both neck and full length sizing dies. Same goes for crimp die, get both. Full, partial or neck sizing only might do best. No crimp, light crimp or heavy crimp. Won't know what's best untill you try all options. If I recall correctly I used a partial sizing, just slightly bumping the shoulder back just a tad.

New postPosted: March 31st, 2017, 12:29 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Really appreciate the info AzRednek!

New postPosted: March 31st, 2017, 2:25 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Instead of listening to random people on the internet, look to what BR and other bolt action competition shooters are doing. They're not neck sizing or crimping. You just got some bad advice that's going to cause you aggravation, time, and money.

New postPosted: March 31st, 2017, 8:20 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

The "original, best load) for the 22-250 was Hodgdon's H380. Guess what the load weight is.... Yep, 38.0 grains, 52grain HP bullet. Prairie dogs hate it!

L. Mike

"The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle,
anywhere, at any time, and with utter recklessness." R.A.H.

New postPosted: April 1st, 2017, 12:34 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Str8Shot wrote:
Instead of listening to random people on the internet, look to what BR and other bolt action competition shooters are doing. They're not neck sizing or crimping. You just got some bad advice that's going to cause you aggravation, time, and money.

Gotta love the know-it-all's advice. Hmmm, not neck sizing or crimping?? Guess they're using Elmer's Glue for bullet retention.

New postPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 7:45 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

AzRednek wrote:
Str8Shot wrote:

Gotta love the know-it-all's advice. Hmmm, not neck sizing or crimping?? Guess they're using Elmer's Glue for bullet retention.

Way to step up and prove your ignorance.