"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 17:53

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Custom Search

Post subject: Re: prairie dog adventure in seligman az
New postPosted: 29 Jun 2009, 17:33 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Great thanx, now I have a greater (then normal) feeling that I need to go kill something. [smilie=icon_twisted.gif]

I didn't get a H/L this year, but will for 2010.

Do they have mag cap restriction for crap like prairie poodle, yotes, etc, etc?????

New postPosted: 30 Jun 2009, 08:14 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

They do have a 5 round mag limit for hunting P-Dogs, no FMJ either, needs to be JHP or SP ammo, Take Care, JLG.

New postPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 19:35 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Reviving an old thread. [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

I found this posting several weeks back and decided that it was darn near time for me to go out and hunt my first Prairie dog. My buddy Jack and I headed up on 7/16 and stayed at the Canyon Lodge in Seligman. Sunday morning we headed to the ranch. It was late in the season and the doggies got pretty spooked when we drove by. So, we decided to make it a fun day by taking no shots under 250 yards. With the laser rangefinder in hand, we drove around to spot a good place to go low and prone. Luck was not on our side.

It took an hour to find a place to hunt. We found a hillside that have us 500 yards of clearing and we spotted about 40 burrow/holes within our minimum 250 yard. As we set up our gear and optics, I had a shocking discovery. We forgot our 5-round AR magazines! The only thing I had was two 30-rnd Pmags. Sucked! We decided to just manually load one round at a time. This made our hunt much harder as we didn't have much of a chance to do any follow-up shots. After 2 hours of hunting, we netted 4 confirmed 1-shot kills. We had hoped for a better run but the winds were around 9-15mph, our rifles kept sinking into the soft earth, and our 8x and 12x optics were "just" good enough to see an 8" tall doggie.

Overall, it was a FUN first hunt. I'm looking forward to coming here again next year in early June and slam some more!

Question for you pro hunters out there. Is there an actual "season" for prairie dogs? Or, can I go out and hunt them all year long, like bunnies and coyotes?

New postPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 00:36 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

i have gone twice so far this year , got over 20 the first time with my ar, had major winds 20-25 ,so i bought a 308 for next time , i was there 2 weeks ago with the 308 and the 223 and got over 35 this time , not to windy .

dpms bull sweet 16 , jp comp , cmc trigger , nikon 5.5 x16.5 x44 monarch
harris bipod 6 5 round mags

remington 308 varmint , nikon 6x24x50 monarch ,harris bipod , just got a new stock not in pic

season is mid june -to the end of sept.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New postPosted: 06 Aug 2011, 21:49 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

You really need a table/platform to shoot from, helps a whole bunch..

The season for Gunnison Prairie Dogs is not set it stone and can change from year to year, season is listed in the current AZGFD reg book.

New postPosted: 06 Aug 2011, 22:53 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Prairie dog hunting is an absolute blast. I started shooting them with my uncle and dad on the family farm in Montana when I was 8 years old. It's a great way to sharpen your marksmanship skills. I have to fly back to montana tomorrow, and hope to get out and do some pd hunting.

40grn vmax in .204 and 60 grn vmax in .223 will get the job done out to 500 yards. Hit many a double with the .223 but only one triple. Need a fmj to get that done reliably.

New postPosted: 07 Aug 2011, 15:14 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

We go doggin' after most coyote hunts and it really is a great way to improve your skills.
I nailed this one with my bow the other day.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New postPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 02:24 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

closest I've gotten to poodle since last year

New postPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 07:11 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

What are the restrictions here in AZ for hunting prairie dogs/rabbits/'coyotes? Do you have to have license?

Been a long time since I have been out doing this and looks like fun again. I am from Texas and we used to go out just shoot. My parents had a little bit of land that we could shoot on but other than that we used to just go out and get rabbits/coyotes on the farmers land. They didn't mind because we were taking care of a problem so the sheriffs didn't say much.

New postPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 07:20 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

You have to have a hunting license.

I have no idea WTF I was thinking when I went there. Being super hungry is the culinary equivalent of drunk and horny at last call. You'll take just about anything, knowing you'll regret it later...and still not giving a shit.

New postPosted: 11 Aug 2011, 20:27 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

What bullets are you using in your .223? I'm using some factory 45 and 55gr ammo in my 22-250 but I'm not vaporizing them like you guy's are. I took one out at 250 yards with my 17HMR. It looked like he just fainted. Those damn rats are everywhere up here in Co. Drives me nuts when I'm driving around in Aurora and wandering around the fields without a care in the world. I need to put a can on my 22/45 [smilie=icon_twisted.gif]

If you can believe this, the hippies up here try to protect them. The city is planning some road construction and they were trying to re-locate them before they tore the ground up. Idiots. As a rancher friend told me, "they got it wrong when they named them prairie dogs, should have named them prairie rats, that way everyone would want them gone." BTW, be careful when picking them up. Some of them have been known to carry the plague up here.

Happy shooting.

New postPosted: 11 Aug 2011, 23:02 
New to AZS

280 yards(lasered) with my M70 Coyote in .223 w/Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44. Shot from next to the Jeep. Aubrey Valley west of Seligman. BTW I'm using 55gr. Nosler "Lipstick Tips", 21.5 gr. Reloader 10X, and Federal 205M primers. LOVE that RL10X!!

New postPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 07:56 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Awesome. I got to get up there one of these days. I don't have a magnified optic yet but maybe I'll try my hand with an aimpoint. [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

New postPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 09:40 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Glockmonger wrote:
silencedmajority wrote:
Glockmonger wrote:
If those are prairie poodles, WTF are these???
They look to be half the size of the ones in the pics above.

Ground squirrels.

They get really really fat near the city and look like prairie dogs when they stand up.

Ah! I see.
Well I have found they turn into a pink cloud when shot.

genuine LOL