ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Quail Report 37B - Don't Bother!!!
New postPosted: October 7th, 2017, 9:41 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

First time in several years actually took a day off to go on opening day for quail. The plan was to hit the tanks along E 96 Ranch Road. I pulled off on E 96 Ranch Rd at the pre-dawn light and heard some calling on the S side of the road right near 79, before Double Tank. Double Tank was bone dry so I headed up to Polo Tank. Polo Tank was dry but still had lots of green cover growing out of the bed. Had a group of six flush real early while I was yet 50 yds away, I had only time for one shot but by some miracle I got one. No stragglers that stayed down, they all flushed which was unusual. I chased the rest of the bunch for a couple hours but did not get a shot because as they got out of the open area of the tank, they flushed early and low and none sat. Just seeing glimpses of them through the bush to keep following.
They did seem to stay in the area of the tank and the wash behind. They did seem to respond well to a call.
Took a break for lunch then headed up to Beehive Tank. Lots of water but not a single bird, no cattle either, very quiet and dead. Then I drove all the way up and down Barkerville Rd slow but did not see or hear any birds.
Back to Double Tank to try and find the birds I heard at first light but as I walked SW out of the tank area heard and saw nothing.
Then back to Polo Tank, got one in the wash, only three flushed again a ways off.
As the shadows got long I sat in the tank and called then stalked it, a couple had run in there unseen and I got one.
I sat under cover of a tree on the bank and called and I heard one clucking, he had run up behind the tree 10 feet from me! Of course he was gone as I tried to turn around, that was the last bird I saw all day.
As it got near dark a Mexican Wolf ran through the tank and up on the road.
I don't know if it's because of wolves in the area or if guys have been cheating a little early this year, but I saw no real coveys, just small groups of real skittish birds.
I say that because I did see many, many shell hulls in the area that didn't look tarnished and even quite a few shot cups blowing around.
The only positive is the call worked pretty well.
There were a bunch of trucks and about a half dozen big camper trailers and motorhomes coming up the road when I was leaving, too bad these guys are not gonna get many birds.
In summary Polo tank area is the only place I saw birds, and not very many at all, not behaving normally either.
IF SOME KIND SOUL knows of a better unit to try, please PM me as I will try to get out again later in the season.
Thanks!!!

(edited for typos)

Post subject: Re: Quail Report 37B - Don't Bother!!!
New postPosted: October 7th, 2017, 6:42 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I had a friend go today and he said he did find some nice sized coveys on the South side of 79 in the same area.
Crazy, I was sooo close.

Post subject: Re: Quail Report 37B - Don't Bother!!!
New postPosted: October 7th, 2017, 8:38 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Went out this morning west of Queen Valley & had limited success. There were birds out there but they were very skittish. They would flush 30 or 40 yards before you got anywhere near them. My buddy only shot about a half dozen times scoring on tiny bird & I only got one shot. I thought I downed him but couldn't find him. We're going to head back out in a couple weeks when it hopefully won't be so hot.

If it's Snowbird Season, why can't we shoot them?