ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently August 22nd, 2017, 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: I really, really love turkey hunting.
New postPosted: May 8th, 2017, 12:47 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

After an awesome 2014 where both boys bagged some turkey (one in the spring and one in the fall, both in 6A), we have been skunked the past 2 years. 2015 we had some heavy snow that slowed us down and in 2016 we just didn't get onto any Toms (both in 5B).

This year I decided to try Unit 1 and had much better success.

I took my 2 boys, a friend of my oldest son, and my daughter (just observing). After getting up and working the canyons, we heard some gobbles and headed off. Trying to keep 5 people quiet and concealed is a huge challenge, but we were able to get in, find some cover and start working the call.

I was hoping for the friend to get a shot, but turkey do what turkey do and they decide which way they are going to come in. We had a gobbler a ways in front of us, but a 2nd one came in from the rear. I heard the crunch of a twig in the silence and knew he was behind me, but I couldn't see how far away he was. I just kept looking over at my youngest son who obviously saw it as it swung behind us. He was getting blocked by a tree, so he stayed focused, switched from left to right handed (that's a whole 'nother post), and blasted it. I didn't know how far away it was until the shot, but in the picture, I'm standing where the bird was knocked down and my son is kneeling behind the tree from where he shot from.
Attachment:
IMG_6718.jpg

Basically, I'm a very firm believer of Remington Nitro Turkey loads and a full choke!
Attachment:
NCM_0307.jpg

We went back to camp, cleaned him up and headed out to see what we could find. We had a lunch/nap stop, ran into some antelope, chased a lone gobble about 1p with no success, and then headed back calling in the canyons again. We get to nearly the same location as bird #1 near dusk and hear a very close gobble and know he's going down for the roost. We go back to camp, get some sleep in the 19 degree evening, and head out the next morn.

We creep in darkness where we think he's at and settle in. The sun starts to light up the forest and we hit the call. We hear some distant gobbles, but not the one we think we were near. And then a very close one that (again) is behind us. I get the friend up so we can get a little closer to the call and my youngest son (who's doing the calling) yells (with his eyes!) to get down. We plop down and wait. 15 seconds later, my oldest son blasts away and drops the bird as it is starting to peek over the edge. He could only see the head, but when it turned to start walking away, he gave a flash of tail so he knew it was a Tom.
Attachment:
IMG_6735.jpg

They are much better shots than me!

The largest thing I've shot was duck (I've missed the 2 coyotes I was aiming at), but I have a blast getting out with my kids out in the woods and teaching other youth the fun and love of hunting. The friend had a blast and even my daughter is now willing to get her hunters ed so I can put her in for turkey (or elk!).

Basically, it was one great weekend!
Attachment:
20170423_054046.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: I really, really love turkey hunting.
New postPosted: May 8th, 2017, 5:38 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Congrats thats awsum

New postPosted: May 9th, 2017, 8:40 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Outsanding!!! Great job guys and way to go. :D

New postPosted: May 9th, 2017, 9:02 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Beautiful!! Great job :)