ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently August 18th, 2017, 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: leveling kit do anything for off road?
New postPosted: March 6th, 2017, 10:14 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Was in the dealership getting service for 2016 Dodge Ram 4x4 and inquired about getting a little bit more ground clearance. They recommended a leveling kit which would raise the front end about 2.5 inches... which I thought would make all the difference when out hunting in Arizona to get that low air dam up and get better approach angles on the rocks without scraping. So I ordered the kit and will be making an appointment to have it done when the parts come in.

Is there really a benefit for off road purposes in going this route?... or will I be just be paying for somewhat of a better look with really no appreciable function?

Post subject: Re: leveling kit do anything for off road?
New postPosted: March 6th, 2017, 10:45 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

if you plan on any long hauling of a 5th wheel you wont like it. at least thats what I been told on the chevy hd 2500s.
one nice thing is you can get bigger tires under the truck for more ground clearance.
I am getting ready to put a complete new front end under my hd2500 duramax and inquired about the leveling kit to some freinds that have done theres. they say the ride is not near as good when towing a 5th wheel as you get floating.
like I said cant say from experiance

New postPosted: March 6th, 2017, 11:14 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I have a 2016 2500HD and I just installed new torsion keys made by ready lift. It leveled the front and looks much better. I pull a toyhauler but haven't hooked it up since leveling the truck. I might end up putting some Firestone air bags in the rear if it squats the rear end when hooked up.

New postPosted: March 6th, 2017, 12:03 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

The main benefit of a leveling kit would be to squeeze bigger or fatter tires on the front, which could buy you some ground clearance.

On Nissan's, you can pull out the torsion bars and re-stab them, then crank on them which will lift the front end without any modifications. You need to re-align the front end and it rides a lot stiffer, but can buy you a tire size or two in clearance without any aftermarket add-ons.

New postPosted: March 6th, 2017, 12:21 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

My buddy I both have the 2016 4x4 crew bighorn packages. He just had the front lifted 2.5" using those pucks. It makes the truck stand level and offers some improved clearance both for 4 wheeling and taller tires. It however sucks for travel trailer long tows even after the airbag thing which is a royal pain. His truck ride changed a bunch and its a tad squirrelly on the downhill grades with my toy hauler. Glad he took the jump first...I am saving some scratch to just do a lift in a year or so on mine.

New postPosted: March 6th, 2017, 9:46 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

You are better off with new coils if you want to lift it. Buy once, cry once.
But, if you want a cheap alternative, a spacer lift will be the way to go, although the ride will be little bit harsher with a spacer lift. It all depends on what you want and what you are willing to live with.

All things being equal, I probably would stay away from a dealer suggested spacer lift, like Ready Lift or whatever. You don't want any poly lifts. You want something stout. You get what you pay for.

Whatever way you go, you will be happier than stock

If this was just blatantly off-topic, I wouldn't have done anything, but you put it in the classified ads...

New postPosted: March 17th, 2017, 5:02 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Be careful how much spacer lift you do in the front not to over angle and stress out your CV axles, if you have CV axels in the front. The more expensive lifts come with new front drive line cradles and new knuckle assemblies to prevent this.
I will be installing next week on my sons 2007 Ford F-150 a 4" lift kit for his new 35" tires & custom rims. The new RC lift kit alone was $1100. :(

Last edited by Mad Max on March 23rd, 2017, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New postPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 4:01 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Well, we installed the 4" lift on the F-150 last week and it worked out great. Just the front lift part took 10 hrs to install. The rear lift took 1hr to install. Depending on make, year and model will be a big factor on the front installation time frame. :s

New postPosted: March 30th, 2017, 11:39 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Spacer lifts are for mall crawlers. They offer nothing but the look of a lift along with piss poor performance.

Get a real suspension lift. That will actually improve performance and vehicle handling while being comfortable and safe.

New postPosted: April 5th, 2017, 7:37 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Did the 4 inch level on my 2011 Dodge 4X4 Megacab to install taller tires. Great for off road. Made the highway manners much worse and close to what I's call edgy at high speeds. I also will note the annoyance factor as the Dodge dealer that sold me the tires and the level kit DID NOT MENTION the TPMS light stayed lit and there was no software to reset it for different tire pressure. Had to solve the annoying glow with electrical tape. Minor concern yet it pisses me off enough to mention it as one more thing to consider.

New postPosted: June 28th, 2017, 9:49 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Leveling kits are for mall crawlers ;)
If you want offroad performance you need to spend the money on a true suspension system. Ground clearance alone isn't everything and spacer blocks/leveling kits usually lead to a much harsher ride that causes premature wear on stock suspension components. You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to suspension.

Icon Vehicle Dynamics has been great to deal with for me and the ride/performance is amazing on my FJ. They are also very supportive of our Non-profits mission to clean up the Az wilderness. It's not cheap but their shocks are rebuildable, their new Delta joint uniball replacement is killer, and their customer service is solid.

New postPosted: June 29th, 2017, 7:43 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

schiffer99 wrote:
So I ordered the kit and will be making an appointment to have it done when the parts come in.

Is there really a benefit for off road purposes in going this route?... or will I be just be paying for somewhat of a better look with really no appreciable function?

To the first part, seems like your mind is made up and will get done either way.

To the questions, for "true" off-road performance, they do nothing other than get you fittin' bigger tires. Have had both leveling and true suspension lifts on different trucks, so that is just my usage-experience. A simple "Yes" to answer the second question.

Everything has it's limitations, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQdlXvbWSU

Of course, with an exception to every rule!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SjX7A_FR6g

New postPosted: August 6th, 2017, 9:55 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

harleypower69 wrote:
Did the 4 inch level on my 2011 Dodge 4X4 Megacab to install taller tires. Great for off road. Made the highway manners much worse and close to what I's call edgy at high speeds. I also will note the annoyance factor as the Dodge dealer that sold me the tires and the level kit DID NOT MENTION the TPMS light stayed lit and there was no software to reset it for different tire pressure. Had to solve the annoying glow with electrical tape. Minor concern yet it pisses me off enough to mention it as one more thing to consider.

AEV now makes a 4.5" lift for Ram 1500's and it comes with a programmer to correct a few things. I think the programmer alone is $175, it might be something for you to look into.

I agree with some of the other posts, don't do spacers/leveling kits.

My Chevy '06 2500HD, I just tightened the torsion bars a bit and it worked great until I sold it.