"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 08:15

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Custom Search

Post subject: How to clean Cerakote (cote?) finish frame
New postPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 19:00 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Hi guys, I had some concerns purchasing the P238 Lady because of the red frame, I asked the dealer if they were aware of any issues with it (of course he said no)... Well after taking it too the range and putting 75 rounds through it (not a single issue btw) I went to clean the gun. I use Hoppe's on the barrel and slide but then typically switch to a polymer safe cleaner (Shooter's choice in this case) to do the frame of the gun.

Well I went to clean the lady's frame and OMG the freaking paint was coming off on the inside of the frame (I dont spray the outside thank god!). So Now I have some paint missing from the inside of the frame, the outside is fine but I am STILL not a happy camper. Shooter's choice CLEARLY states, "safe to use on polymers, plastics, and metals", "Will not harm delicate optics, sights, PAINT, or camouflage finishes." WTF??!?!?!?!?! [smilie=anim_banghead.gif]

So I was thinking of calling SIG and complaining about it, but I dont think they will do anything. I cant seem to find ANY information on how to properly clean cerakote finishes online, nor is there any information in the manual about how to properly care for their products.

AND on top of that, my right rear night sight doesnt glow..... These are my first night sights, is that normal or is something wrong with it?

Post subject: Re: How to clean Cerakote (cote?) finish frame
New postPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 19:32 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I clean my cerakoted parts with the same stuff (Hoppes #9, Sweets, etc.) and lube with the same stuff (CLP, Gun Butter, Miltec, etc) that I use for steel, aluminum, etc. I've had stuff coated in the past where the coating flaked off so I sent them back to be redone. Sounds like you need to contact Sig if that's a factory finish.

As to night sights, if those are tridium they are "supposed' to last 10 years however I've have Trijicons and factory Springer night sights start to dim after about 6 years.

New postPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 15:00 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

So I called sig this morning on my way to work they had no issue replacing the rear sight, said I could either send it in to have them replace it or they could send it to me and I can have someone local do it... Its going to depend how much someone local would charge and the situation with the finish, if I have to send it in to get the finish re done they might as well do the sight too..

As for the finish, I have to email the guy pics so he can send to the gun smith to see what they have to say... Hopefully I can get a decent photo, the frame isnt that big...

Ill keep you posted on my experience with sig.

New postPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 15:27 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I've got a LOT of experience with Cerakote.
The heat-cured Cerakote should be TOTALLY resistant to most ANY
solvent.
Something here does not add-up.

New postPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 16:20 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Yeah its weird, I sprayed shooters choice on the inside of the frame and part of it faded, like the red turned dull almost like a milky red, and where I tried to clean with q tips t it actually rubbed off down to the silver, I can still swipe my finger on the inside of the frame and I have red on my finger. I still have all my cleaning swabs so I will photograph those too and send them to sig.

I wonder if it just wasnt cured long enough... It was way too easy to get the coating off so something definitely isnt right...

New postPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 20:19 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I use MPro7 on everything, including Cerakote. It's even gentle on your hands.

New postPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 20:59 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

According to the Sig web site, the finish used is Ceracoat, with a "coat". Not sure if that is a typo, but the NIC Industries Cerakote is some really tough stuff, any thing short of sand blasting should not even phase it. I find it odd that a company as large as Sig, with all the legal implications, would mis identify an outside companies product used.

Good luck on getting it resolved, never fun having problems with a brand new purchase.

New postPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 21:53 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

It appears to be a typo on their site because if you download the PDF file it states it as red Cerakote.

Anywho, here are a few of the photos I sent to SIG, so we will see what the come back with...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New postPosted: 16 Mar 2011, 07:10 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Response from Sig Gunsmith: "Normal Break-in. Make sure she is using lube. You should not use a bore cleaner on a frame. I would say it was a combo of the two that caused it to come off. Did she soak it? All you need for the frame is a cloth with some oil to clean it. Bore cleaner is for the bore to clean copper and lead out."

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!? IT'S NORMAL BREAK IN FOR YOUR COATING TO COME OFF? REALLY???? I SPECIFICALLY told the "Middle man" that I was using hoppes for the slide and barrel NOT the frame and that I was using shooterschoice for the frame which is specifically meant for PLASTIC!!!!!

So far I am not impressed with SIG's customer service... You have got to be kidding me... Oh I replied to this email making sure it was REALLY clear to them what I did to clean the frame, what experts have told me about this finish, and reminded them what SIG is telling their dealers who were concerned about selling this gun (Its their most durable finish).

We shall see whats next...

New postPosted: 16 Mar 2011, 17:59 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Well, in my restrained opinion, I would say "f*** Sig". That is some outerspace BS. Let that moron know you have made his repsonse public to other potential customers.

New postPosted: 16 Mar 2011, 20:28 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Just for "Fun" I took a qtip with oil per the recommendations of the gunsmith and swiped the inside of the frame in a place where shooters choice was not used and sent them a picture of the now red q-tip. We shall see what the response is tomorrow...

New postPosted: 16 Mar 2011, 23:28 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

That isn't any kind of Cerakote that I've run across. That's behaving more like some kind of rattlecan krylon type garbage. One wonders what the real story is with regards to that finish.

New postPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 09:32 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Update: Last friday, I received an RMA to send the pistol back to them. I cant believe this draged on a whole week before they decided to send me an RMA. I will be shipping it to them today through ups (their method), I would have done it friday but I was getting work done on my car and would have had to drive from north phoenix all the way down to thomas and i17 cause there is only like one ups hub in the valley and the ups store wont ship firearms... Talk about inconvenience... They say they will ship it back within 2 weeks via 2day through fed ex, which will require a signature... Uggg I already see this being a pain....

New postPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 08:10 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

alias wrote:
I've got a LOT of experience with Cerakote.
The heat-cured Cerakote should be TOTALLY resistant to most ANY
solvent.
Something here does not add-up.

I had a bipod that was cerakoted FDE that I needed to strip, I used ZIP Strip on it and it wouldn't touch it. I agree something is not right with the finish. [smilie=icon_eek.gif]

Post subject: Re: How to clean Cerakote (cote?) finish frame ***UPDATED **
New postPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 18:02 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Ok so sig has had gun for a week now, they called me today and per the gunsmith said it is a decorative finsh and that type of wear was going to happen on the lady because its meant for display... DISPLAY?!?!? WTF? He said that I should have received some warning or disclaimer about the finish with the gun (I didnt obviously)..... Regardless of what they were telling me all I cared about was what are they gonna do to fix the problem...

So, they told me they could switch out the frame, for a black nitron frame and keep the lady slide on it... My first thought was "oh that would look cool", so I went ahead with that option...

After getting off the phone with them, I thought about it some more and had some doubts, "what if I wanted to sell it later on", it would be the only one of its kind, would I have warranty issues later? If the frame is decorative doesnt that mean the slide is too?( there was already wear on the slide where the black came off... Etc, etc...

So for shits and giggles I emailed them back, and asked if they could just send me a new pistol, and explained my concerns, I told them I was really after an equinox...

Well to my surprise they are willing to just do a complete replacement. So after all is said and done I am getting my equinox! Its prolly gonna be 3-4 weeks though...