ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 22:13

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Custom Search

Post subject: Glock 19 vs Ruger SR9c for carry conceal?
New postPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 18:23 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

I am selling my PK380 in favor of something a little more....widely available and ubiquitous and have come across several guns that may fit my needs but I have finally narrowed the selection down to two.

Basically, it's between the Glock 19 or the Ruger SR9c. Now, I've heard a lot of great things about the SR9c, a lot of people rag on Ruger in general saying they manufacture terrible guns but I really think they have a winner with the SR9c and it shows. One of the things I like most about the Ruger is how slim and how nicely it fits into my hands with the pinky extension. It's just an overall great feeling gun, never shot one before but I have heard the reports and talked to nearly everyone at the various gun shops and they all said the SR9c shoots great.

Now, the problem I have is since the Sr9c is a relatively new gun to the market....parts and spare magazines are going to be a bit harder to come by....at least from my experience. I have had my Pk380 since July of this year (not a long time I know) but I have been unable to find spare magazines for this thing and the prices online (when it is not backordered) are ridiculously high. The cheapest magazine I found was 35 dollars for an 8 rd magazine. What I like most about the Glock 19 is the fact that it is really easy to find not just spare magazines, but gun parts as well.

So, really I am at a loss here. The G19 I want to buy is used but it's in great shape. Definitely hardly used if ever at all, and it comes with the night sights on them. I have shot the glocks before and they shoot great and feel great, and reliable as hell. I just want some opinions on those of you who carry the G19s as their conceal and what do you think of it?

Do you think I should go for the Ruger Sr9c or the G19?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Glock 19 vs Ruger SR9c for carry conceal?
New postPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 18:36 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

G19 is probably the best value around on a concealable handgun that packs a very good magazine capacity. I think ruger has made some steps forward with the SR series, but it is not a proven commodity like Glock is. I would not really call a G19 "compact" anymore, with all the small sizes available out there. That said- it is a very concealable commitment to having an effective firearm.

You'll have a lot more holster choices for the G19. Every decent holster made has a G19 offering. The holster is the most important part of effectively concealing- the right holster can conceal a desert eagle fairly well. You are looking for 1) a good gun belt and 2) a quality IWB holster that has two belt-mounting points for stability- crossbreed, comptac, desantis, and others make decent holsters for this. With that setup you will be ready to roll with a G19.

Sights, parts, mags, and everything else are going to be easier to get for the Glock. Unless you find an exceptionally compelling reason to get the SR9-if it is a close decision- go with the G19. You won't find yourself constantly wondering if you should have bought the other model. And if there is an exceptionally compelling reason to get the SR9c, why are you even asking? [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

New postPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 19:32 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

You obviously cannot go wrong with a Glock 19, I have owned both the 19 and the SR-9C. The SR-9C is slimmer, the ergonomics felt better to me, very accurate - now the down sides are too many safeties, the mag extension sleeves to use the full size mags suck for doing quick mag changes because they slide up and down the mag. I found that I could use my Glock 19 Galco Leather Holster with the SR-9C and it fit like a glove, they are manufactured in Prescott, AZ so parts, service, magazines, etc are readily available.

If you are leaning that direction here is a deal of a lifetime if you want the SR-9C, Prescott Valley Guns gets large buys once or twice a year from Ruger on lots of models, from my understanding these are demo guns ( unfired by the looks of them ) that were probably used at shows, etc. Prescott Valley Guns sells them as used ( look brand new ) and they have both the full-size and compacts for $ 349.00 plus tax - they have a bunch in stock. Google their phone number as they do not have a website, I buy a lot of guns from them and are great to work with especially Carl or Keith.

New postPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 20:03 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Stick with the most popular mid-sized 9mm...the G19.

New postPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 20:22 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Cannot go wrong with a Glock. I carry a G23 in a crossbreed supertuck with no problems. The Ruger is nice, I would buy the full size before buying the compact version. If you're looking for something compact and has a high round count then Glock is the best. If you prefer a manual safety then dont get a glock.

New postPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 20:34 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Both are fine. But do not buy one without shooting one first.
Look for a loaner at the local ranges (or call first to see if they have the Ruger, they will all have the G19)
or maybe ask the fine gentleman here that has both and buy him lunch to try it out.
They are not pricey but after you shoot it, you may totally hate one or the other.
If they were the same, I would go with the Glock if you want reliability/parts, or the SR9c if you really need it to be slimer.
If you totally needed slim, the the Kahr PM9 is the way to go (it is my pocket carry backup).

New postPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 20:51 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

Seems like the G19 is the more popular choice....

For those who carry it, how comfortable is it? The thing i like about my walther is how slim it is and how easily concealable it is. I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison with the PK380 but with the ruger, the g19 isn't much bigger but it is noticeably wider.

New postPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 21:05 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Let me start off with a couple of statements.
1. I have no experience with the Ruger SR9c.
2. I am a wheelgun guy.
Now that that's out of the way, my CCW piece is a Glock 19. Before that it was a Walther PPK/s which is an older one in .380. That pistol is 100% reliable but I felt I would like a little more oomph as well as capacity. I chose the G19 for a couple of reasons. A buddy let me shoot his and I kind of liked it. It's small but still hand filling. I can't shoot anything that I can only hold with two fingers worth a damn!
I bought a readily available Galco horse hide IWB holster, nothing fancy, and I can carry this pistol all day, everywhere, and forget that it's there. It conceals very well. No special attire necessary other than an untucked shirt (for me).
I aslo bought it because of it's reputation for reliability. I want it to work when I need it. So far it has and thank God I have not needed it to save my life (yet). But I am confident that it will perform as needed when and if the time comes.
It's not what I would call a fun or nice gun to shoot. I use my wheelguns for that. But for utilitarian purposes it's the G19 for me.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Stay safe.

New postPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 21:57 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I recently switched from an XDM9 to a G19, purely for size reasons. I really like my XDM, but holy cow, the G19 feels TINY in comparison! The gun itself weighs something like 9oz less, it's about a half inch shorter lenght-wise, and almost a full inch shorter in heigth. Try both, but I'm loving the switch to the G19!

New postPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 22:49 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I carry the sr9c in a Kholster IWB. Very easy to forget you're wearing it. My wife carries her own sr9c in both a Kholster and her purse. I put 400 rounds per week through it. It has not had any failure of any type. It eats everything! Pretty accurate for a small gun too. I think you should at least give it a try. Thing is, that's had to do since I don't think any of the ranges have the sr9c as a rental ( I have seen the full size at Caswells). So, I will offer to let you shoot mine if you ever get over to Cunningham's in Queen Creek. I'm there pretty frequently and the offer is good whenever.

New postPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 23:02 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

GLOCK

New postPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 00:10 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Ruger will not sell you some parts you must send in the gun, I can not think any Glock parts you can not buy in many many places.

BTW I bought a Ruger two days ago, but when it comes to my G19, never leave home without it.

New postPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 08:21 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

My G23 is the same size and I have no issues carrying it. I will tell you if you get an RTF it will not be too comfortable against the skin. It is not bad but can rub a little. I ended up putting a Hogue grip on it and still have no problems. Actually like the way it feels in my hand with the Hogue grip, fits a little better. I plan on getting a G19 and G26 in the future carrying.

New postPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 09:02 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I got to fondle a generation 4 Glock 23 the other day when the Glock rep showed up.

Much nicer than the RTF guns for sure. The adjustable grip is pretty well thought out, and the new recoil spring system looks promising as well.

Visit: http://nyan.cat/ The interweb's way, truth and light.

New postPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 11:40 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

g19 all the way [smilie=icon_lol.gif]