ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently December 16th, 2017, 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: What do the big red dots do that the small ones don't?
New postPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 1:11 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Why shell out big bucks for Aimpoint, etc, when they are just a red dot. How about a small Trijicon rmr or the like? Other than thee more robust/heavy design what are the advantages?

Post subject: Re: What do the big red dots do that the small ones don't?
New postPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 2:49 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Personal preference, I've had AP's and EoTech and Trijicon. Prefer AP for Civilian use, Trij if I was in war type situation. AP has best Battery life, Red Dot adjustability and for me best field of vision for both eyes open. As far as getting a cheapy, I don't use it for hunting, its a EoW people firearm that is used on Range for training and home defense, so its set up for CQC and out to 200m, don't like cheapy stuff if life depends on it!

New postPosted: November 24th, 2017, 12:22 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I use Aimpoint micro and PRO units across my quiver, I can echo Herd’s post. Most of the cheapies I’ve tried have terrible glass with a thick tint, and usually the dot isn’t a sharp round dot but more of a smear. The Vortex Sparc has a slow frequency rate that I can see flashing when I move the rifle from target to target, drives me nuts. One exception is the Holosun optics (also Sig Romeo series, same thing), they have very clear glass and are the best budget optics I have found. I have a couple in testing and so far they are working well.

New postPosted: November 24th, 2017, 3:44 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I wasn't talking cheap optics just a comparison of the large red dots to the micro red dots, similar to ones found on handguns..

New postPosted: November 24th, 2017, 6:58 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Large dots are easier for old eyes. My shooting buddy (~60 year old) likes the 6.5 MOA dot on a pistol because he can see it easier. Others say the larger dot is faster to acquire and it makes no difference that the larger dot covers more target at pistol distances. I prefer a smaller 3.25 MOA dot. If I need it more visible I can turn the brightness up.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.p ... ze-for-RMR

New postPosted: November 24th, 2017, 9:41 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

BroncoAZ wrote:
Large dots are easier for old eyes. My shooting buddy (~60 year old) likes the 6.5 MOA dot on a pistol because he can see it easier. Others say the larger dot is faster to acquire and it makes no difference that the larger dot covers more target at pistol distances. I prefer a smaller 3.25 MOA dot. If I need it more visible I can turn the brightness up.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.p ... ze-for-RMR

I think the op was talking about the actual size on the unit, and not the dot size...

New postPosted: November 24th, 2017, 10:14 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

So the Pistol sized ones are called RMR's and the battery life is measured in a few hundred hours versus up to 2-5 years with Aimpoint T1/T2 etc. RMR's have problems in the rain because they project onto the glass, and sometimes aren't as strong. They have to be light and low for pistols to cycle properly and that's why they are designed open like that. Eotech site would be similar on a rifle but with bigger field of view and enclosed projection. You can run an RMR on your rifle/shotgun/SMG no problem if you are looking for something smaller but be aware of battery life and make sure it has enough brightness for az outdoors.