"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently April 25th, 2018, 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Re: What I look for when Choosing a Training Venue
New postPosted: September 7th, 2010, 12:20 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Kyle Lamb must have travelled back in his VTAC Time Machine (pat. pending) and taught those crazy Rhodesians how to shoot.

Of course, many a trap and skeet shooter had been placing the hand out of the foreend for decades before IPSC even existed.

New postPosted: March 25th, 2012, 10:46 am 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

Thanks for the very helpful post. I've been considering classes from basic defense to tactical training. I've only had rifles for hunting. I just got a Taurus millennium pro 111. I would feel more comfortable if I had proper form and training. Thanks again.

New postPosted: June 27th, 2012, 4:41 pm 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

Sooooooo, If I read this right, anybody that hasn't been through CQC, or isn't LEO that hasn't been in the "Two way Range" aka firefight/gunfight, has no business teaching Firearms training, or CCW training?

New postPosted: June 27th, 2012, 5:22 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

mdaaug58 wrote:
Sooooooo, If I read this right, anybody that hasn't been through CQC, or isn't LEO that hasn't been in the "Two way Range" aka firefight/gunfight, has no business teaching Firearms training, or CCW training?

Welcome to two years ago.

It is fairly well debated on both sides of this argument over the 5 pages of this thread. Do you have anything to add to either point of view?

New postPosted: June 27th, 2012, 8:51 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

mdaaug58 wrote:

No, not at all.

When this was written, I kept it intentionally vague as to what sort of training is being presented. If one is taking a class on hunting marksmanship, having a combat veteran is moot. If the class is about shooting USPSA faster, having been through CQC is unnecessary. The key is having a background that is germane to the training being presented.

Even if you look at just combative shooting, having been on a two-way range is nice, but I don't think it is necessary.

New postPosted: April 7th, 2014, 4:22 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Location: Gilbert, AZ USA Home of the free, and the smell of the cows.
Hey guys. I have been on AZS for years now and have either bought from or sold something to almost everyone who has had good input into this thread. I just wanted to say thanks to you guys. I am really considering seeing what someone other than the voice in my head has to say about tactics and training. Teaching yourself is a really limited engagement. Time to up my game.I know there is something to learn in basic classes for everyone, but the cost vs benefit to me when considering time, ammo, and cost of training on a basic course is not appetizing. I know my knoweledge is limited as far as tactics, but I can run my guns effectively. I just want to learn how to fight with them. Should I still take a basic class?

Thanks in advance.
James

New postPosted: April 7th, 2014, 5:14 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Basic offers limited return if you can "run you guns effectively" (however you define that).

Time to move up the training paradigm; Shivworks ecqc

Last edited by AzIDPA on April 7th, 2014, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New postPosted: April 7th, 2014, 5:33 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Location: Gilbert, AZ USA Home of the free, and the smell of the cows.
My definition would be shooting, reloading and fixing stoppages. Keeping the weapon up and running is the basic idea. I tried to replicate tactics from magpul training videos and to the best of my ability understand the methodology they use. Of course I need more practice. My opinion is you can never train too much. I just what to know what I am doing right if anything, and what I can improve upon, which I'm sure is a lot. I know I don't know crap, but I also don't want to sit in a class and learn how to zero, or clean my weapon. I think I have that down.

James

New postPosted: April 7th, 2014, 7:23 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

www.azmbi.com
www.independencetraining.com
Both good at teaching a lot...
ShivWorks ECQC coming soon....it will change you
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=190114

New postPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 8:40 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

This has been an entertaining read. This thread reminds me of how fortunate I am to have had the experiences and training I received over the years, that I otherwise take for granted sometimes. I spent 23 years as a cop, part of that time on a full time SWAT Team, plus 8 years in the military including a combat tour in Iraq. I teach courses for both the state SWAT Assoc. and the National Tactical Officers Assoc. I tell you this so you will have an idea of where my perspective comes from. I have been trained by some really good guys and some marginal guys.

While I have plenty of training and experience, I am not a particularly great shot. I am really good at weapons manipulation and tactics, but I can jerk the trigger with the best of them at times. One thing to keep in mind is that it takes a long time to build up skills. Don't expect to go to a class or two or three and master anything. First off I would suggest identifying what weaknesses you have and what skills and knowledge are important to you to learn, then target your search for a qualified and reputable trainer to help you get there. I have many friends who have served in Tier One units, the one thing they have consistently stressed to me is mastering the basics. It makes sense, what do baseball players do just before the World Series game starts? They throw the ball, catch the ball and hit the ball. Being better than your adversary at the basics will give you a huge edge. Subsequent parts of the puzzle are mental attitude and your ability to remain calm and think when in a crisis situation, the one who is calm is likely to win. To be calm requires confidence in your training, your gear and your ability to handle whatever is thrown at you and prevail. Situational awareness, the ability to assess potential dangers and critical thinking are keys to successfully resolving crisis situations.

Just because someone served in Iraq or Afghanistan does not mean they saw combat or that they necessarily handled it well if they did, but if they did see actual combat that is a plus. For shooting skills I would look for competitive shooters to learn from. If it is tactics you want to learn, find a current or former SWAT guy from a large agency or the military special operations community. Lastly, a guy can have all of the experience in the world but if he can't impart that information to you in a way that you understand and can put into practice, it won't do you much good.

One last thing....if you own a gun because you might need it some day to save you or your families lives, quit wasting money on cheap shit for guns and gear. If you own a crap gun why bother. You got a great deal for five flashlights at Walmart for $13 instead investing in a SureFire light, why bother. If you are running a carbine and run shit for mags, don't have a sling and a weapon light, why bother, you are just wasting your time. Buy quality gear, get it right, get it the first time and don't waste your money.

PATH

New postPosted: March 29th, 2016, 8:48 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Kyle Defoor talks about how to choose who to train with, and how to train.