"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently January 18th, 2018, 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Defensive Pistol Class vs CCW Class gear
New postPosted: June 4th, 2017, 12:46 pm 
New to AZS

Hello,

I'm starting to take some pistol classes and would like some advice. I plan on taking both a defensive pistol as well as CCW classes. Would it be advisable to use the same firearm for both classes? I ask because I wanted to use my full size pistol for the defensive pistol class and my carry for the CCW class. Any issues with doing this?

I get the whole "train like you carry" mantra; it makes perfect sense. But I wanted to improve my skills with more than just one weapon. Am I just asking for trouble when it will count?

Post subject: Re: Defensive Pistol Class vs CCW Class gear
New postPosted: June 4th, 2017, 2:30 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Blanks wrote:
Hello,

I'm starting to take some pistol classes and would like some advice. I plan on taking both a defensive pistol as well as CCW classes. Would it be advisable to use the same firearm for both classes? I ask because I wanted to use my full size pistol for the defensive pistol class and my carry for the CCW class. Any issues with doing this?

I get the whole "train like you carry" mantra; it makes perfect sense. But I wanted to improve my skills with more than just one weapon. Am I just asking for trouble when it will count?

IMHO the answer will depend on what you ccw and your ultimate goals of the class are. If you ccw in the pocket a small (keltec) sized 32 you will likely not be able to run the drills that the course prescribes.
For my money I have consolidated to essentially one platform (glock). I ccw and sport shoot several different versions but the manual of arms is the same. I do keep several other handguns out of nostalgia but they have relegated themselves to the back of the safe as "fun" guns.
That being said, if you are on the novice side of the scale I would take the gun that you are most comfortable with and take tons of notes. In my mind the purpose of a training class is to tune up my memory on the " basics" in a system and what you should have been dry/live practicing since the last class on your own. Or the second purpose is to try out a new combative system (example Suarez intl vs gunsite) in option 2 I don't want to be fighting a gun that I am not certain comfortable with as I am learning new information.