New to AZS

How do you train?
Why?
And has it improved you shooting any?

Post subject: Re: best way to train with your sidearm
New postPosted: February 5th, 2016, 9:22 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Best bet is training with a professional instructor.

New postPosted: February 5th, 2016, 10:50 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

AzRednek wrote:

^^^^this

But most people would rather spend thousands in fancy doohickeys than a couple hundreds in REAL skills.

Carlos M. Roman
Director of Training/Arizona
DefTech Academy
https://www.deftech.academy/

New postPosted: March 5th, 2016, 4:01 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

AzRednek wrote:

Don't forget lots of dry fire as well. All of the training is great but you have to keep it fresh in the brain housing group

New postPosted: March 5th, 2016, 6:04 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

It depends on the "Instructor", there are a lot of "Instructors", especially the "tactical" ones out there that leave a lot to be desired at the very least, Vet the them carefully! Shooting paper is great practice as long as you make a deal with the BG to stand still. Malfunction drills where a buddy loads random dummy rounds are great for clearing and flinch checks. Always finish with a mag of carry ammo, keeps ammo rotated and gets you aware of your carry ammo, try to find practice ammo close to carry ammo. Always swap hands, be able to shoot right or left, both eyes open, even try right, left eye, one handed reloads, unload and clear, check, then practice weak hand draw from strong side holster, concealed, no assist from strong hand.

New postPosted: March 6th, 2016, 6:16 am 
New to AZS

I've had plenty of offensive/defensive weapons training and now I
regularly practice drawing/aiming/firing drills to keep smooth with
my 1911 IWB-CCW.

I do some tactical weapons practice a few times a year (by myself)
just to keep my battle reflexes/mentality quick.

New postPosted: March 6th, 2016, 3:28 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

WhiteDragon_48 wrote:
AzRednek wrote:

^^^^this

But most people would rather spend thousands in fancy doohickeys than a couple hundreds in REAL skills.

This, so many times over

New postPosted: March 6th, 2016, 3:56 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Get involved in shooting games like IDPA & 3-gun

New postPosted: March 6th, 2016, 6:49 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Shoot 3 gun.
Shoot clays.
Shoot bolt action.
Practice drawing and dry fire.
See how long you can hold your rifle up.

Seen a lot over the years.

Remember a guy that claimed to get 1 Inch groups at 300 yards from his 10" barrel AR.

Two other dudes wanted to train people for night shooting out to 300 yards.

Until I asked WTF are you planning on engaging at 300 yards at night.

New postPosted: March 7th, 2016, 4:08 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

http://pistol-training.com/drills

New postPosted: October 27th, 2016, 4:36 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

AzIDPA wrote:
http://pistol-training.com/drills

This is an awesome website.
As to the OP questions---
I moved to Arizona 5 years ago, and have shot paper for 4.5 years with some minor degree of increasing accuracy.
After collecting "toys" and the like, I finally accepted the fact that shooting paper can be a challenge (just move it out farther) but nothing can prepare you for real self defense like active training with a good trainer.
So I'm on a path to filter out the "toys" NOT ALL OF THEM, and concentrate on a few legitimate SD tools.
Some old martial arts dude once said, "I'd rather practice one technique 10,000 times, than 10,000 techniques one time."
And as far as practice and training, you can go to the expensive schools, and no doubt you'll learn something. Most of those places rely on that as their bread and butter, so there's no slouches. But they'll charge you an arm and a leg for one on one training. And after you've dicked around and gotten lost in the class......
GO HERE>>>>> http://www.arizonashooting.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=219253
Oh yeah, dry fire is valuable in developing muscle memory.

New postPosted: October 27th, 2016, 5:07 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Shoot. Actually shoot.

New postPosted: December 25th, 2016, 9:13 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Bullseyes at 25 yards.

Draw from concealment, shoot 10 rounds in 30 seconds, score, record, repeat.

300, 500, and 700 point aggregates, score, record, repeat.

New postPosted: December 26th, 2016, 1:27 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

This is a practice non shooting exercise told to me by a former Army drill Sergeant and range master. He claimed he was as he said "teaching college boys to become officers". He said most shooting instructors were soft on them only teaching them how to qualify. Taking deep breaths, slowly exhaling and taking their time between shots. My acquaintance and customer a Nam Vet. C
laimed he tried teaching them for combat shooting under pressure. It was years ago, likely the 70's. Army was still shooting hand guns single handed bullseye style.

They would stick a sharp pointed pencil, eraser end in first down the barrel. Shoot it at a piece of paper on the wall apx six inches away. He told me he would scream in their ear, insult them and poke them in the ass if their posture slumped. While they were holding the pistol out straight armed long enough for fatigue and wobble to start. They had to launch the pencil on his command. If they shot before or there was a delay. They had to start over again. He demanded three consecutive marks from the pencil with in a small circle he drew on the paper.

Years ago I did the exercise nearly every night for months with a Colt 1911 in 38 Super. Although the pencil is not centered as well in a 45 it works. I didn't have a DI screaming at me but I quickly discovered it doesn't take long to feel the fatigue in arm and hand muscles start after tightly holding a pistol straight armed bullseye style for 30 seconds or even less at first. Doing the exercise nearly daily for months it became much easier and longer before I felt muscle fatigue as time progressed.

I can't say for sure how much if any, it improved my shooting. At least in my mind I got better and confidence always helps raise scores. It did make it a lot easier to stare down the sights, keeping them aligned for several seconds. As I progressed I was able to keep the sights lined up on a mark for longer periods of time.

Without a pencil but keeping my arm extended bullseye style with sights lined up on a mark on the wall for several seconds. It really improved my trigger control and keeping the sights lined up while dry firing a double action revolver. Pencil can be used in a revolver dry firing single action. Never heard the phrase or even knew what muscle memory was back then but I'm sure it improved.

New postPosted: December 26th, 2016, 6:34 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

AzRednek wrote:
This is a practice non shooting exercise told to me by a former Army drill Sergeant and range master. He claimed he was as he said "teaching college boys to become officers". He said most shooting instructors were soft on them only teaching them how to qualify. Taking deep breaths, slowly exhaling and taking their time between shots. My acquaintance and customer a Nam Vet. C
laimed he tried teaching them for combat shooting under pressure. It was years ago, likely the 70's. Army was still shooting hand guns single handed bullseye style.

They would stick a sharp pointed pencil, eraser end in first down the barrel. Shoot it at a piece of paper on the wall apx six inches away. He told me he would scream in their ear, insult them and poke them in the ass if their posture slumped. While they were holding the pistol out straight armed long enough for fatigue and wobble to start. They had to launch the pencil on his command. If they shot before or there was a delay. They had to start over again. He demanded three consecutive marks from the pencil with in a small circle he drew on the paper.

Years ago I did the exercise nearly every night for months with a Colt 1911 in 38 Super. Although the pencil is not centered as well in a 45 it works. I didn't have a DI screaming at me but I quickly discovered it doesn't take long to feel the fatigue in arm and hand muscles start after tightly holding a pistol straight armed bullseye style for 30 seconds or even less at first. Doing the exercise nearly daily for months it became much easier and longer before I felt muscle fatigue as time progressed.

I can't say for sure how much if any, it improved my shooting. At least in my mind I got better and confidence always helps raise scores. It did make it a lot easier to stare down the sights, keeping them aligned for several seconds. As I progressed I was able to keep the sights lined up on a mark for longer periods of time.

Without a pencil but keeping my arm extended bullseye style with sights lined up on a mark on the wall for several seconds. It really improved my trigger control and keeping the sights lined up while dry firing a double action revolver. Pencil can be used in a revolver dry firing single action. Never heard the phrase or even knew what muscle memory was back then but I'm sure it improved.

So you have to order 1,000 rounds of pencils?
Sharpening them would shorten them so you'd need plenty of pencils around.
Could get to be expensive.
I think I'll stick with real ammunition at 6" from the target.