"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently January 16th, 2018, 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Re: best way to train with your sidearm
New postPosted: December 26th, 2016, 6:41 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I spent a lot of years in the Army and was never told to put a pencil in my barrel.

New postPosted: December 26th, 2016, 9:24 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

RandyTF wrote:
AzRednek wrote:
This is a practice non shooting exercise told to me by a former Army drill Sergeant and range master. He claimed he was as he said "teaching college boys to become officers". He said most shooting instructors were soft on them only teaching them how to qualify. Taking deep breaths, slowly exhaling and taking their time between shots. My acquaintance and customer a Nam Vet. C
laimed he tried teaching them for combat shooting under pressure. It was years ago, likely the 70's. Army was still shooting hand guns single handed bullseye style.

They would stick a sharp pointed pencil, eraser end in first down the barrel. Shoot it at a piece of paper on the wall apx six inches away. He told me he would scream in their ear, insult them and poke them in the ass if their posture slumped. While they were holding the pistol out straight armed long enough for fatigue and wobble to start. They had to launch the pencil on his command. If they shot before or there was a delay. They had to start over again. He demanded three consecutive marks from the pencil with in a small circle he drew on the paper.

Years ago I did the exercise nearly every night for months with a Colt 1911 in 38 Super. Although the pencil is not centered as well in a 45 it works. I didn't have a DI screaming at me but I quickly discovered it doesn't take long to feel the fatigue in arm and hand muscles start after tightly holding a pistol straight armed bullseye style for 30 seconds or even less at first. Doing the exercise nearly daily for months it became much easier and longer before I felt muscle fatigue as time progressed.

I can't say for sure how much if any, it improved my shooting. At least in my mind I got better and confidence always helps raise scores. It did make it a lot easier to stare down the sights, keeping them aligned for several seconds. As I progressed I was able to keep the sights lined up on a mark for longer periods of time.

Without a pencil but keeping my arm extended bullseye style with sights lined up on a mark on the wall for several seconds. It really improved my trigger control and keeping the sights lined up while dry firing a double action revolver. Pencil can be used in a revolver dry firing single action. Never heard the phrase or even knew what muscle memory was back then but I'm sure it improved.

So you have to order 1,000 rounds of pencils?
Sharpening them would shorten them so you'd need plenty of pencils around.
Could get to be expensive.
I think I'll stick with real ammunition at 6" from the target.

This was an actual training exercise, in Basic prior to range shooting, usually done in Classroom setting, Paper on desk as said about 6" inches from barrel, also included , dime on slide by front sight, standing position, squeeze trigger without dime falling, taught good squeeze and holding firearm steady, breath control. You did these until DI was satisfied you could hit the target with pencil with the 45 and reliably with out the Dime falling. The Best training the ARMY had IMO was the "Quick Kill" Course Based on Eisenhower's Trap Shooting Skills, kinda a Point Shooting skills for Soldiers.

we did dime, M-16 at Campbell, 101st RVN training before they went to RVN, forgot I was a Leg in Basic, Only Paratroopers got M-16's in them days, lol

Last edited by herd on December 26th, 2016, 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

New postPosted: December 26th, 2016, 9:27 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

redj wrote:
I spent a lot of years in the Army and was never told to put a pencil in my barrel.

Did you take Basic in 1964?

New postPosted: December 26th, 2016, 2:01 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

RandyTF wrote:

So you have to order 1,000 rounds of pencils?
Sharpening them would shorten them so you'd need plenty of pencils around.
Could get to be expensive.
I think I'll stick with real ammunition at 6" from the target.

[b]
That's not only foolish it is ridiculous!! Ever hear of a pencil sharpener?? The pencil can strike the paper numerous times before it quits leaving a mark and needs sharpening. The pencil can be sharpened down to shorter than the barrel size and still be launched from the firing pin strike. Erasers depending on the sharpness of the firing pin's point usually wear out long before the pencil itself and core does.
[/b]

New postPosted: December 26th, 2016, 2:13 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I recommend taking a few classes with a professional instructor. I also think shooting something like IDPA helps a lot as well. Keeps you doing a variety of stuff all while putting stress of the clock and people watching you in your head.

New postPosted: December 26th, 2016, 5:36 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a5Qth5BPRk

New postPosted: December 26th, 2016, 6:05 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

New postPosted: March 18th, 2017, 3:27 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Sell the 50+ guns some of you have, keep the most solid defensive choices, and hit up Independence Training, Sentinel Concepts etc for as much quality training as you have time for. It truly is worth every penny. Once you learn the requisite skills, practice. Dry fire, life range, air soft, whatever.