ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently January 21st, 2018, 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Handgun training for women ..Why?
New postPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 11:29 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I didnt want to hijack the other thread but when I read it a bit ago what kept gnawing at me was Why? I know there are Women specific gun courses at all of the ranges. At least I see them offered at shootersworld and caswells so I am assuming the big boys have them too.

So simply .. a gun isnt very gender specific. You hold it like this, you pull the trigger like that and so on. What are they doing differently in a "womens" program.

Now if its specifically about protecting themselves and tactics perhaps I get it. Contrary to popular opinion most of them are not as physically strong as men and many having not grown up playing sports may not be as coordinated. Now I am in my 50's so I am talking about what I know and certainly things change and I made a huge generalization, but if its a basic how to operate a gun efficiently and well what is the benefit of an all women class? Maybe I will send the wife if someone can tell me why?

If the stress of having men around is going to impede their progress that is a problem because it doesnt scratch the surface of the stress involved with a potentially deadly confrontation.

Post subject: Re: Handgun training for women ..Why?
New postPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 11:38 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Because a women's only class is going to be 99% chit chat and gossip and 1% shooting?

New postPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 11:56 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Cos $

Also newbies are more comfortable around similar folks...

and $

And you know those pink guns? Are they any better? No, why do they exist, cos, $

New postPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 12:11 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I take a lot of my wife's friends shooting and really trained a few two of which went on to shoot competitively and honestly .... I lot of guys just suck at training women so many have told me they go take classes with someone who can turn down the testosterone. I'm sure many of us have been at range and watched some guy hand his girlfriend his shotgun or a .357 for her first shot making sure they never want to come back. Over the weekend there were some hillbillies in the next range fussing at his girl because she couldn't hit the target shouldering his AK despite having never shot a rifle.

I'm sure there is definitely a lot of socializing going on but I think that class is more about girls finding someone that will listen and teach them so they don't have to deal with their guys.

New postPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 12:38 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Quite simply, they're more comfortable with other women around.

There are ither differences also. Women are on the whole easier to teach as there's usually much less ego bruising and posturing. So there might be more chit chat (i would disagree with that premise also... Guys talk about the same or more during shooting classes) bit you'll get more done.

Less leg humping, more learning. Everybody wins.

New postPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 1:45 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Boriqua wrote:
I didnt want to hijack the other thread but when I read it a bit ago what kept gnawing at me was Why? I know there are Women specific gun courses at all of the ranges. At least I see them offered at shootersworld and caswells so I am assuming the big boys have them too.

So simply .. a gun isnt very gender specific. You hold it like this, you pull the trigger like that and so on. What are they doing differently in a "womens" program.

Now if its specifically about protecting themselves and tactics perhaps I get it. Contrary to popular opinion most of them are not as physically strong as men and many having not grown up playing sports may not be as coordinated. Now I am in my 50's so I am talking about what I know and certainly things change and I made a huge generalization, but if its a basic how to operate a gun efficiently and well what is the benefit of an all women class? Maybe I will send the wife if someone can tell me why?

If the stress of having men around is going to impede their progress that is a problem because it doesnt scratch the surface of the stress involved with a potentially deadly confrontation.

I've taught a few Women Only (WO) classes in the past, my 2 cents:

• Camaraderie;
    Ever see a bunch of women go to the bathroom together?
    Women are more supportive and encouraging of each other in a same vs mixed class.

• Education
    They are there to actually learn a new skill.
    No ego brought to the line and are not-as-competitive in the beginning.

• Shared experiences (private & semi-private)
    In a WO class, everyone can relate to the real time experiences of their classmates.
    No judging. See camaraderie ^^

Let's face it, some guys can be real assholes (you know who you are) when in a mixed class.
Taking a class, especially for a beginner is intimidating enough.

New postPosted: February 4th, 2016, 5:52 pm 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

Quality instruction is necessary for all women shooters. Nothing can replace live training with a quality instructor.

Last edited by DenBruce on February 11th, 2016, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New postPosted: February 4th, 2016, 6:36 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

My wife used to teach women only classes and also "After Bubba" retraining. Women only are sometimes less intimidating, for beginners, believe me her classes were not chit chat, she could out shoot most of the bubbas in Tucson.

The "After Bubba" was her specialty, and many DOC and PD Cadets who were failing Firearms Qual would come to her for proper training. The "After Bubba" was were Bubba was gonna teach the "Little Women" to shoot and thought he'd have a littlie fun by either giving her a 10 gauge or 44 Mag for starters.

New postPosted: February 4th, 2016, 6:54 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Because normal classes don't teach you how to melt sandwich cheese with a hot muzzle, or open a stuck mayo jar with .38 wadcutter

New postPosted: March 7th, 2016, 2:52 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Look....sometimes it's what it takes to get a female into a class, we need more armed women and if their first class is female only and gets the ball rolling so be it.

New postPosted: March 26th, 2016, 2:29 pm 
New to AZS

Women only class if taught by a competent instructor are equal if not better then a male class for a number of reasons. For the most part women have NO preconceived ideas about shooting. They have a greater attention to detail and
better hand eye coordination. Once all the do's & don'ts are given women will usually go at a faster pace. They don't have to worry about guys with their mines bigger then yours attitude and being "hit" on. Of course this is IMHO

New postPosted: March 26th, 2016, 4:45 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Biggame223X wrote:
Look....sometimes it's what it takes to get a female into a class, we need more armed women and if their first class is female only and gets the ball rolling so be it.

B I N G O !! +1000

New postPosted: March 27th, 2016, 12:37 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

The real reason is because men have fragile egos and it hurts when they loan their favorite pistol to their wife... and she out shoots them with it, right in front of them. Also girls with guns are hot and guys are easily distracted. So they are taught separately for your safety. :)

New postPosted: July 31st, 2016, 10:10 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

Because women have different body attributes (like breasts) that are a serious consideration when training.

One of the best training sessions my GF took started with the instructor telling her "we're going to talk about breasts during this class because they are a part of a woman's physique that needs to be discussed when shouldering a rifle or shotgun, holding a pistol in an isosceles stance, etc. Which do you prefer: 'breasts' or 'boobs' because we're going to talk about them no matter what, so choose one"

I'm paraphrasing... but that was when I knew, and more importantly SHE KNEW that this was going to be an excellent class. It was.

Any sport is different between genders. Shooting sports are no different.