"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently April 26th, 2018, 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Re: How to deal with police encounters in various incidents
New postPosted: August 4th, 2009, 12:08 pm 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

This is great information. However, what if you are a bystander or not the victim in a police encounter, and you are armed? Is it always necessary to alert the police that you are carrying?

I was recently helping a friend out who has a violent ex-husband. She was concerned he might be waiting at her house, so she asked for me to be there when she arrived. Once we were sure the house was empty, I got her to call the police and report the situation. The officer showed up, and I told him I was armed. He had me put my hands up and removed my weapons (understandable as he didn't know who I was). After he understood the situation he was cool about everything, and I was able to have my weapons back. My question is, was this the best way to handle the situation? Do the police always need to be aware if I am carrying?

New postPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 8:11 am 
New to AZS

[smilie=anim_heavy.gif]

great info! great post!

New postPosted: August 8th, 2010, 5:00 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

drp26 wrote:
This is great information. However, what if you are a bystander or not the victim in a police encounter, and you are armed? Is it always necessary to alert the police that you are carrying?

I was recently helping a friend out who has a violent ex-husband. She was concerned he might be waiting at her house, so she asked for me to be there when she arrived. Once we were sure the house was empty, I got her to call the police and report the situation. The officer showed up, and I told him I was armed. He had me put my hands up and removed my weapons (understandable as he didn't know who I was). After he understood the situation he was cool about everything, and I was able to have my weapons back. My question is, was this the best way to handle the situation? Do the police always need to be aware if I am carrying?

It seems like it would be a good thing to inform the police that you are armed. However, depending on the officer, it can also put some unnecessary negative light onto you. What if he felt like taking the gun away from you permanently (it happened before to my brother who has yet to retrieve it back from them)? What if the officer is having a bad day and decides to charge you with something that you wouldn't have been charged for had you not told him that you were armed? etc.

I'm still learning so these are all legitimate questions. I am not opinionated here.

New postPosted: February 11th, 2014, 8:10 pm 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

this will come in handy. Because communicating with police the right way always has some essentials! Thanks for this.

tripp pants