ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 06:26

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage Model 11 VT (at Dick's)
New postPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 18:12 
New to AZS

I trying to get an availability in left-hand from the people at Dick's. No luck so far. Any Savage guys on here that know the ins and outs of this gun.

It appears to be a contract rifle for Dick's. 24" heavy barrel in .308 or .223 with a DBM. The bolt release is in front of the trigger. They have them at $549.

Can anyone answer the left-hand question and what the advantages or disadvantages are of the bolt release.

Any info would be appreciated.

(probably has Dick's stamp all over it ;)

Post subject: Re: Savage Model 11 VT (at Dick's)
New postPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 19:43 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Any person can order a rifle directly from Savage.

New postPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 21:02 
New to AZS

I didn't know that. I assumed they protected their dealers. I will call them on Monday.

New postPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 21:49 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

You still might have to go through the dealer or ffl.

New postPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 14:40 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Isn't Dicks the same place that swore off black rifle sales and jerked around Troy or Daniel Defense? If so F' them, I might buy some tennis balls from them in a pinch, but they are never seeing any substantial amount of my money ever again.

New postPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 17:11 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Quake Guy wrote:
Isn't Dicks the same place that swore off black rifle sales and jerked around Troy or Daniel Defense? If so F' them, I might buy some tennis balls from them in a pinch, but they are never seeing any substantial amount of my money ever again.

Yes they are.

Today he has returned via subatomic transporter with his crew, starship and... PANTS unaccounted for.

New postPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 16:24 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

hey guys I'm new here, i was also at dicks a couple of days ago and saw the Savage model 11-vt (.308 for me) and was really curious. I went home and try to do some research but had no luck, even on savage website they didn't show it. This is by far the only thing i found, if anyone has any info on its performance and quality or reliability it would be great for those of us interested in buying. Thank you in advance

New postPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 16:33 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Don't buy from Dick's (appropriate name).

New postPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 16:59 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

I keep hearing don't buy from Dick's, no one tells me why. Whats the reason for so many people disliking them??

New postPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 17:03 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

09slobaltSS wrote:
I keep hearing don't buy from Dick's, no one tells me why. Whats the reason for so many people disliking them??

Besides their being overpriced, Quake Guy already mentioned one of the reasons why.
baja wrote:
Sitting Duck wrote:
(probably has Dick's stamp all over it ;)

Don't buy from Dick's (appropriate name).

It is an appropriate name. Which is why I will put my mushroom stamp all over them. [smilie=icon_twisted.gif]

"A well educated electorate being necessary to the prosperity of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."

New postPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 17:28 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

is $550 too much for a .308 w/ a bushnell cheap scope, and it does have the accu trigger..

New postPosted: 08 May 2013, 19:46 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

Hi, I have the Savage Model 11 VT from Dicks. Awesome rifle. I love the heavy barrel and the trigger is the sweetest trigger I have ever pulled. No adjustment was needed. Shoots sub MOA with the cheaper 170 gn fusion light ammo. I just started working up a load for it using Varget and 168 gn Berger Hunting VLD bullets. It seems to like them jammed .010 into the lands. 1/2 in groups are very possible. The cheap Bushnell scope (4-12) power actually isn't half bad. It's very clear and I can easily see my holes in paper at 100 yards at 12X. If you leave it on be sure to tightene everything up as screws were loose on mine when I bought it. I did however change it out for a more powerful scope but I'll put the bushnell on something as it's worth keeping. I'm not political and don't know all the facts about what dicks does or don't do but this is one awesome gun for the money. With the heavy barrel it doesn't heat up near as quick as a normal barrel. The barrel is free floated enough that you could use a piece of cardboard and it would clear. Many people buy savages to build up a custom rifle which says a lot but their barrels aren't bad either. Also you can't by this gun thru Savage, it's made specifically for Dicks. If you get a Dicks card and buy the gun you can save 60 dollars and get a deal where if you pay it off in 6 months there is no interest. My rifle came in at under 500 before tax doing it this way. As to Dicks prices, I think they compare better than some and if they don't have what you want you can order it thru them. My Buddy just ordered a Savage 338 Lapual Magnum thru them, a rifle they don't normally stock.

New postPosted: 08 May 2013, 20:08 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

09slobaltSS wrote:
is $550 too much for a .308 w/ a bushnell cheap scope, and it does have the accu trigger..

Yes it has the Accu-Trigger but I doubt you will feel the need to adjust it. It's set very light and is sooo smooth. It doesn't have the accustock, however, It's a good stock. Barrel is free floated way off the stock. I doubt you can get it in a left had model but check with dicks if that is your need. I shoot left handed but I am used to using a right hand rife so it's no problem for me to shoot. A Friend of mine bought one of these after I did. He has many rifles including a 308 Browning but likes his Savage VT better. He was on the Marine Corps Shooting Team and is as impressed with this rifle as I am. Savage is about functionality, not so much with pretty.

I have a Savage 300 Win Mag long Range hunter and the trigger pull is actually better on the Dicks 308 VT version than on my more expensive 300 Win Mag and I even adjusted my trigger to the absolute lightest it will go and the one on the Dicks VT is still better.

New postPosted: 12 May 2013, 09:15 
New to AZS

I bought the .308 VT and I like it. Shoots under MOA at 100 with CBC (Brazilian) ammo. Still getting use to the recoil over my R700 in 22-250. I will be reloading just as soon as I can find components.

I don't like the bolt release in front of the trigger guard. On the Remmy, it was much easier to remove while at the range. The magazine won't feed the first round unless I push it to the front of the mag. At the back the rim gets hung up on the mag metal and the bolt pushes it down and it slides right over the top. Gonna try tweaking it a little to see if I can cure this annoyance. Bolt is tight but it's new so I expect that to loosen up a bit. The recoil pad is kinda chintzy and mushy but the fit and finish, of the stock, is good all the way around. The smooth barrel nut really cleans things up, look wise.

Overall, I give this rifle 4.5 stars. She is a shooter.