"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently May 24th, 2017, 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Re: M1A vs. AR10: looking for input
New postPosted: December 6th, 2016, 3:25 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Wouldn't buy an m1a from Springfield period unless it was an early model with USGI parts

New postPosted: December 6th, 2016, 8:01 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

You are currently selling an AR-15 set up for High Power because you don't have time to shoot high power.

If I had an M1A I'd use it for high power.

I think that means you should get an AR-10.

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/MarkHorning

New postPosted: December 9th, 2016, 1:19 pm 
New to AZS

[quote="WRMorrison"]Soon, I'll be looking to add one or the other to my collection. I've always wanted an M1A (never get tired of classic walnut and iron), but never got around to it; can't say as I've ever shot one either. I've owned an AR in 6.5 Creedmoor before, but it never really spoke to me. I'm fairly proficient with both styles of irons, so that's not an issue. I'm looking for pros/cons of each platform. I'm leaning toward an 18" barrel (which can be had in each platform), and it will mainly be used for paper/steel, with the occasional coyote/deer out to 500.

WRMORRISON,

I have competed in 3-gun for many years (and hopefully many more) with both platforms. If you are going irons I would go with the M1a. If I were going scoped I would go with the AR platform. I have a full size M1a (mostly stock, a few Smith Enterprise mods), a Socom 16 with an Aimpoint T2 on a modified Smith Enterprises mount and a few minor mods, and a JP Enterprises LRP-07 with a Vortex Viper 1x4.

I used my SOCOM 16 this year at the Rocky Mountain 3-gun and we had targets out to 550 yards. Granted, the targets are fairly generous in size but sometimes must be engaged in difficult positions. We had to take shots out to 400 yards while on the reverse slope of a set of stairs (stairs facing away from target). I get 2 MOA out of my Socom and it did just fine. It is friggin awesome on the short range stages.

If I was forced to choose just one I would probably pick the full size (or Scout) if going Irons or the AR if going scoped.

P.S. Yes the muzzle brake is canted 90 degrees on my SOCOM. I took the pic after shooting it with the new Smith brake and it moved. Took it back and problem since addressed. I also love the mount and dot on the SOCOM. You can also see the Smith AR-type bolt release behind the mount in the close up picture. Since my SOCOM 16 doubles as my real world urban problem solver, it is loaded with Hornady 110gr TAP. No overpenetration issues and screw the .556/7.62x39 debate. 308 all the way baby!

Limper

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Gray (26 December 1716 – 30 July 1771)

New postPosted: January 9th, 2017, 8:31 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Unless your are getting a new JRA rockola with usgi parts I'd go with an lr308 preferably Aero. Springfield parts are junk and the receivers are out of spec. Look into the JRA if you wanna go the m14 route or an old ass Springfield with an in spec receiver and usgi parts.

New postPosted: January 10th, 2017, 11:19 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Location: Phuk roof top voting machines. My radical right wing extreemists and I are moving on to Guillotines
Polytech have nice forged receivers. Throw in some usgi parts and you have a nice weapon. I've been trying to buy one but folks don't let them go and their price have went from half a new springfield M1, $700.00 is just a couple years back, to very close to springfield entry M1s.

I have a colt m4 LE model I would trade for one. Even though it's on my never sell list. Well never unless I can get a good trade deal.

New postPosted: January 19th, 2017, 10:56 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I've owned both, still have the M1A. Also got a SCAR-17. The SCAR is by far the better modern rifle. However, I love the old school M1A and mine is pretty accurate box stock.

However, I think the AR-10 may still be the better choice for what you want. You can get a nice Colt AR-10 for under $2k. Mounting optics is so much easier and you have so many trigger options. Keep in mind with a M1A, they are all commercial parts now. Mine was one of the last guns to have any USGI parts which was the entire trigger group.

If you really want to mix it up, you should look at the 30-06 and .300 Win Mag options that are AR based. Pretty cool. I know POF is coming out with a 300 win mag soon.

New postPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 7:05 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I have owned SA M1As and they are good rifles and nostalgic. With that said I now own a Armalite 20" steel mag model and wont be going back to M1As.
I feel if your going to have a 308 rifle, then get it in a 20" or longer barrel to get all the performance out of it. The best deal on the market right now is the Windham weaponry 308 20" model, if you can even find one.

New postPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 7:43 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Mad Max wrote:
I have owned SA M1As and they are good rifles and nostalgic. With that said I now own a Armalite 20" steel mag model and wont be going back to M1As.
I feel if your going to have a 308 rifle, then get it in a 20" or longer barrel to get all the performance out of it. The best deal on the market right now is the Windham weaponry 308 20" model, if you can even find one.

But my M1A has a 22'' barrel. And a very good shooter.

New postPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 5:14 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

M1As are good shooters. The problem that I have with them is the cost to get them to shoot the equal accuracy of the AR platform. Also a good Sadlak or Bassit M1A scope mount is a lot of money that I would rather add to the scope quality. I have never liked the angle rock in and rock out mag release system of the M1A, its bad enough that I have to do it on my AK's.
My nephews SA M1A loaded model has more money tied up in it with a Sadlak mount and a after market stock and it still cant compete with my Armalite in accuracy. The only bad thing about my Armalite is that it came with a nasty heavy trigger pull and I will end up having to purchase a match grade aftermarket trigger. I did end up purchasing for the Armalite Troy back up flip up sights that ran me $150 for the pair online.

New postPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 5:51 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Mad Max wrote:
M1As are good shooters. The problem that I have with them is the cost to get them to shoot the equal accuracy of the AR platform. Also a good Sadlak or Bassit M1A scope mount is a lot of money that I would rather add to the scope quality. I have never liked the angle rock in and rock out mag release system of the M1A, its bad enough that I have to do it on my AK's.
My nephews SA M1A loaded model has more money tied up in it with a Sadlak mount and a after market stock and it still cant compete with my Armalite in accuracy. The only bad thing about my Armalite is that it came with a nasty heavy trigger pull and I will end up having to purchase a match grade aftermarket trigger. I did end up purchasing for the Armalite Troy back up flip up sights that ran me $150 for the pair online.

I'm just a old man, but is 5'' group at 600 yards good?

New postPosted: February 4th, 2017, 6:21 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

SatCong wrote:
Mad Max wrote:

I'm just a old man, but is 5'' group at 600 yards good?

SatCong, you have a very good shooter, don't ever sell it.

I just seen the Windham R20 for sale online and in stock at Outdoor Super Store for $1249. I think that this is the best bang for the buck on the market right now and it has a chrome lined bore/chamber. :D

New postPosted: February 5th, 2017, 1:29 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Mad Max wrote:
My nephews SA M1A loaded model has more money tied up in it with a Sadlak mount and a after market stock and it still cant compete with my Armalite in accuracy.

This is a old Springfield mount and yes it's high, but it works. Didn't cost too much. The barrel is 1 in 11 match. My loads were 168 SMK with IMR 4895. The last time at 600 yards in prone it was just under 6 moa. It was good enough for this old man.
To me the mag system is no trouble.

New postPosted: February 20th, 2017, 9:49 pm 
New to AZS

I have always liked the idea of the M1a. I have owned 3 over the years. I think they are beautiful, all American rifles. Performance wise? Meh. Now, I never wanted an AR10, until one day I stumbled into a nice 20" Armalite AR10 in trade. I took it to a precision rifle class, and it shot lights out for a gas gun. After the class, I added a Magpul PRS and a quality trigger. Now, it is really one of my favorites. It's easy to work on, parts are plentiful (except Armalite mags...) and I shot it far more accurately than I ever did an M1a

New postPosted: April 15th, 2017, 12:33 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

You have to figure what you want the rifle for.

If you want a modern, accurate, low cost (that's a relative term), upgradable rifle, get an AR. If you want an M1A, get an M1A.