ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently December 16th, 2017, 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: UZI Build - Advice Needed
New postPosted: January 6th, 2012, 11:00 pm 
New to AZS

I am considering building an UZI. I am thinkin of building one using an IMI full auto parts kit and a Nodak welded receiver and bolt and i need some advice from anyone that has done it...

I start with an NDS-1948W receiver...

along with an NDS RM1100K Us made Bolt & Striker Assy.

Then harvest the remaining parts off an IMI UZI SMG Parts Kit...

Then top it off with a 16" 9mm barrel; until i can get the stamp to buy and install the 10" barrel.

Has anyone had any experience with Nodak receivers? What kind of mods i would need to do to the trigger pack to make it semi-only and the parts count for it to be 922R-copmpliant. AFAIK, the receiver is 2 parts and the bolt and striker is 3 (I think).

Thanks for any and all advice.

Post subject: Re: UZI Build - Advice Needed
New postPosted: January 7th, 2012, 5:14 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Or you could buy my IMI Uzi SBR that I have for sale. :)

I know only one person who has built an Uzi, and that was making a Mini Uzi out of a Full Size. It was an endeavor.

For the trigger pack, there are a couple differences between the FA and SA versions, mostly having to do with the SA version having plates welded into the inside of the piece to prevent the selector from moving all the way forward and, I think, some slight modding to ensure that the FA parts don't fit into it (the feet on the sear are different sizes). Finally, the pin that holds the trigger pack onto the frame is a different size....one is 9mm the other 8mm...but I can't recall if the SA is 8mm, but I think it is, since then you could drill out a SA pack to put on a FA gun, but it would be very tough to make a 9mm hole into an 8mm hole to put a FA pack on a Semi-auto gun. I could have it reversed, however....

Next, the trunion sizes for the barrels are different. Semi-auto trunions are smaller in diameter to prevent the installation of the SMG barrel. So, first you'd have to find a semi-auto trunion to go with that parts kit. Then you have to weld it all together. Then when you DO want to SBR it, you either have to chop your carbine barrel or buy one to chop it, or get an SMG barrel and have the trunion ring turned down to fit. There is also a "restrictor ring" on a Semi-Auto, which is a small ring into which the barrel fits, at the chamber end. If you look at the two barrels in the pics, you can see the carbine barrel has a turned-down section at the back, and the SMG barrel doesn't.

While I've put together some guns and built some AKs, building an Uzi from an "in the white" receiver isn't something I would undertake, mostly because I don't know how to weld. Availability of Semi Auto trunions isn't something I know about, nor is the availability of extra carbine barrels...because remember, once you chop yours, there's no going back.

When I SBR'd my IMI, I found an SMG barrel that had been turned down at the trunion ring and for the restrictor ring...slides right in w/no mods to my gun. On the plus, I still have the carbine barrel should I ever decide to deregister my gun from NFA, which i am thinking of doing so it'd be easier to sell...but it can take almost as much time to de-reg it as reg it.

Good luck.

New postPosted: January 7th, 2012, 8:19 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Tim gives good advice on this one.

I was going to do some work on mine too, and EVERY single person that I talked to about it discouraged it, as it looks to be a MONUMENTAL PITA and not worth the effort overall.

New postPosted: January 7th, 2012, 10:28 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I believe (although I could be mistaken) that The Red Horseman built his own from a kit. He could speak authoritatively on this. I have a Group Industries receiver and parts kit myself, and have it sitting around as a project that I'll get to "one day". The main reason I haven't is because my receiver is just the formed clamshell, not the completed one you show in the picture. By starting with a complete receiver like that, you are eliminating 90% of the difficulty and hassle.

SICARIUS PRO HOMINUS IURIUM

ImageImage

New postPosted: January 7th, 2012, 2:47 pm 
New to AZS

AFAIK, the trunion on the NDS-1948W receiver is designed to work with both the SMG kits and the 16" barrel...

Quote:
The NDS-1948W receivers have an 8mm grip lug hole so you can utilize the lower frame and take-down pin from a military parts kit.

Also, I figure someone out there can rework the trigger pack to be semi only. Once those detaisl are done, then I might send the receiver to someone that can accurately reproduce the IMI - Israeli marks ont he receiver...

I figure someone out here has the skillset to properly make everything work; I still want to make the UZI a carbine (pending the stamp).

New postPosted: January 7th, 2012, 9:27 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Hopefully Prebans can pop in here and discuss what issues there might be.

When I discuss the trunion, I mean that solid-ass piece of metal that goes up front. There are two types of trunions...those which will accept SMG barrels, and those which will accept carbine barrels or SMB barrels that have been turned down to fit.

There is no single trunion that will work with both barrels...it's physically impossible since the diameter of the hole bored through it (through which the barrel passes) are different for each. I was looking at the in-the-white receiver which had no trunion installed. My mistake.

However, in looking at the receiver you reference, it's a Semi-Auto receiver only, which means that you would have to machine an SMG barrel or chop the carbine barrel when you SBR'd it. The difference in actual physical diameter of the SMG barrel being larger would prevent it from fitting through the trunion and into the restrictor rine.

The 8mm hole will fit the SMG pack. A Semi pack is 9mm...ok, so I was mistaken on that.

But turning the FA pack into a Semi-pack...I don't know what the legalities on that would be. Physically, it's welding a restrictor plate inside it. Then you would hae to modify the sear feet or the receiver to allow for the FA feet to fit through the receiver holes...they were smaller on the Semi-Auto receivers, which this is.

The NDS receiver + bolt are $500, then add the parts kit, modifying the kit, and finishing and labor, and you are probably near what you can buy an IMI semi-auto gun for complete and ready to go.

If you're not the one actually doing the labor, then going this route seems inefficient.

New postPosted: November 19th, 2012, 8:09 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

TimW wrote:
Hopefully Prebans can pop in here and discuss what issues there might be.

(snip)

Wow, I'm a little late. [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

...how goes the build?

Mike

New postPosted: March 30th, 2015, 12:29 pm 
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)
NEWBIE! (<10 posts)

Hi all
Does anyone know the difference in sizes, between F/A and samiauto barrels on trunion side?
Or, inside diameter of F/a and semi auto trunions, where barrels go through?
Thank for advance for your help.
George