"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 23rd, 2018, 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Used firearms
New postPosted: February 12th, 2018, 4:51 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I am always hearing stories about what great deals people found at pawn shops. Well I was in Scottsdale over the weekend and decided to check out a few..

Overpriced junk.. There's better deals on backpage..

Rant Off

Post subject: Re: Used firearms
New postPosted: February 12th, 2018, 5:03 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I have to agree. Pawn shops are usually overpriced.
You can find some good deals on backpage every once in awhile though.

New postPosted: February 12th, 2018, 5:31 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

It's been a long time since I bought anything at a pawn shop, but I have gotten good deals. Pay no attention to the price tag. Offer the price that you want to pay, the price you think is a good deal. If they say no, then it cost you nothing to ask. If they say yes, then you got a bargain.

New postPosted: February 12th, 2018, 5:43 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Pawn shops...the ultimate of buy low and sell high. Private sales are the way to go.

New postPosted: February 12th, 2018, 5:49 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

milquetoast wrote:
It's been a long time since I bought anything at a pawn shop, but I have gotten good deals. Pay no attention to the price tag. Offer the price that you want to pay, the price you think is a good deal. If they say no, then it cost you nothing to ask. If they say yes, then you got a bargain.

Yep

Pawn shops usually pay 40% below market value. Could go even less depending on how they read the desperation of the seller.

I've bought a lot of tools there and you have to know the product and offer them what you're willing to pay to make it a great deal for you. They will look it up in their books to see what they paid, how long they've had it, what profit they expect, and whatever else then make a counter offer or say yeah. If they just say yeah, you know there was even more room to negotiate.

New postPosted: February 12th, 2018, 5:49 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

. dbl-tap

New postPosted: February 12th, 2018, 6:10 pm 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

bloodnguts wrote:
I am always hearing stories about what great deals people found at pawn shops. Well I was in Scottsdale over the weekend and decided to check out a few..

Overpriced junk.. There's better deals on backpage..

Rant Off

Back in the day before the internet got big, you could find steals on guns that they simply didn't know what they had. Now everyone can look up base values. No you have to haggle to save money.

New postPosted: February 12th, 2018, 6:19 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Location: Phuk roof top voting machines. My radical right wing extreemists and I are moving on to Guillotines
Pawn shops started going to hell once people started cutting their own heads off on the sales floor. Last nail was when the jewel box closed. That was a pawn shop.

New postPosted: February 12th, 2018, 7:03 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Advantage Pawn, or more appropriately "Taken Advantage Of" in Chandler is the worst. Stopped in there one day on a whim. They had a Garand on the rack. Proceeded to look at it and in less than a minute, maybe two, I said the gun was junk and probably unsafe to fire. Dude behind the counter started to get bent and started in with the "well our gunsmith.......blah blah blah".

I respond; let me show you everything that's wrong with it: gas cylinder literally flopping around, so much slop between the receiver and wood I could shim with a few nickels, safety was worn and when you pulled the trigger it it broke at a pound and a half that would have been a lot. It was a mess. The price on the other hand was premium.

I tend to avoid pawnshops for a reason.

New postPosted: February 12th, 2018, 8:20 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I have only gotten one deal in a pawn shop and that’s because they had no idea what they had. Every other gun was outrageous.

New postPosted: February 13th, 2018, 6:55 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I like poking around the smaller gun shops that are off the beaten path. Have found some great deals on S&W revolvers and such. Less foot traffic yields a more willing seller.

New postPosted: February 13th, 2018, 7:40 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I have scored great deals when the seller didn't know what they had. Happens in pawn shops, gun stores, music stores, CL, BP, eBay. You just can't be desperate or in a rush. If you have cash, can pounce at any time and know what the real market value or supply and demand are, that's how you score good deals.

New postPosted: February 13th, 2018, 8:09 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I work all over the valley and state.I tend to find myself close to a Pawnshop every so often during my breaks.
Always wonder in and just check out things...and at times the deals just jump out.That smart phone helps confirm the deals on the spot.

New Polk Audio 12" Home subwoofer,powered(msrp $299)....paid $10.00
New Craftsman hammer drill (msrp $119.00) ...paid $10.00
IA2 Harris Bipods qty of 3,(msrp each $89.00)....paid $15.00 for all 3
Benchmade Stryker knife (msrp $250.00)...paid $40.00

And other stuff.And i always ask....many times prices are negotiable.
Some days the response you get from employees makes go "WTF?"

Pawnshop on McClintock and Broadway in Tempe behind the Burger King....wondered in.Saw a torque wrench in the tool rack behind counter with a sign above that said all tools 65% off.
Asked if i could see the torque wrench,was told i needed to provide my AZ ID and a valid credit card.
I said," I just want to look at the torque wrench first".Was told i needed to provide a valid ID and a valid credit card again to see and handle any products they have.The ID and Credit card would be return to me once the products i was looking at was return to them.
I laughed,told them happy selling...and took my sweet ass out of there.There rules,but i dont hand over my ID and CC just to look at something.Im sure they have their reasons....but i'll move on.

Guns just seemed to be over priced,Some Pawn shops add fancy grips to the Colt 1911's and mark the hell out of them UP ! .38 Supers are marked up even more ,just for their special .38 super customers.
Dont see many deals on guns....

Deals are out there,but many times you have to ask and make offers.

New postPosted: February 14th, 2018, 9:33 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I used to see the occasional deal at pawn shops in Texas 20 years ago... In AZ, I think I have bought two guns from pawn shops, same shop and in a six month time period. Then they jacked their prices back up to the pawn shop norm...

Sorry, if your listing stuff at 50% or more over actual value, I am not going to waste my time trying to negotiate with you. What, just so I can beat you down to 5-10% over actual value.

New postPosted: February 14th, 2018, 9:52 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

If you can buy a good gun at 10% below a pawn shop's asking price you just paid 25% too much.