"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 24th, 2018, 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Need a tailor
New postPosted: December 12th, 2015, 9:31 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I'm not a suit kind of guy but find myself needing one. Anyone know of a gun friendly tailor to help with ccw.

Post subject: Re: Tailor
New postPosted: December 12th, 2015, 10:30 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

The idea that you need a tailor to adjust a suit for CCW is a left over myth from the Ian Fleming James Bond books. Any off-the-rack suit will be fine; just be sure to get the pants a little loose. Wear your pistol to the store, go into the dressing room, try on the pants with your pistol and holster and the belt you will wear with the suit. Find a suit with pants that fit with the gun/holster on. Then take your gun off, leave it in the dressing room, step outside and tell the tailor, "I like the waist just fine; just fix the length."

Or, if you have a "red gun" (a plastic replica), tell the tailor, "I sometime carry a pistol. Please adjust the waist to fit." Then, let the tailor do his/her measurements while you wear the red gun in the holster you plan to use, with the belt you plan to use. He or she might hyperventilate, but won't call 911.

If you don't have a red gun, and the holster you plan to wear is fairly stiff (like Kydex), tell the tailor the same thing, and get fitted wearing the empty holster. It'll give them something to talk about in the lunch room.

The jacket doesn't need to be cut larger on one side or anything. However, don't buy a "European" cut suit with the waist pulled in; and get a single rear vent instead of a double rear vent.

Post subject: Re: Need a tailor
New postPosted: December 21st, 2015, 12:11 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

When I had a real job I was fortunate enough to get away with Khakis or jeans most of the time but on the oft times I had to wear a suit or slacks the hardest part of carrying concealed was the wimpy dress belt and the pants not having a provision for a real belt.

New postPosted: June 8th, 2016, 12:31 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Bipod, CCW is just that. You are wise to get a tailor. I don't have one as I don't wear suits enough but I would have said start here except you didn't get any help yet. I guess I would call and tell them you carry "equipment" under your suit coat and see how the react. The other option is a police officer might comment if they carry with a suit. Perhaps a small gun if you are used to a large frame gun?

New postPosted: June 19th, 2016, 9:32 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Honestly I'd just go to Men's Warehouse.

They don't care if you carry or not, and they have nice lightweight suits which are not terribly hot.

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/MarkHorning

New postPosted: October 6th, 2017, 8:18 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Old post I know, but it is an applicable bump to the thread.

"Kizmett Comfort Clothing and Janine's Alterations" on 7th St and Indian School (just south of intersection on west side) is ran by Janine and her daughter, awesome tailor, and regularly works with people who carry. I've been getting my business clothes and suits fixed by her for years now.