ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 05:00

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non-Resident buying a firearm?
New postPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 13:01 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Hi guys,
I've looked everywhere, and been told everything except the grass-is-green. Heres the deal. I just moved to AZ, having an issue finding work, don't want to spend the money/time to transfer my license&vehicles over to AZ registration and go through emissions, and then if I can't find work, have to scoot back to Maine in a month, and do the process all over again.

I've been looking to pick up another project. I like tinkering with the firearms more than I do shooting them. What are the legalities of purchasing a firearm for a non-resident? By several dealers, and private parties that a non-resident can't purchase a firearm from a dealer, but as long as they are a US Citizen, and are not a felon, over the age of 18 (for rifle, 21 for handgun), then it is perfectly legal for a private sale.

But on the flip side, I've had private parties tell me otherwise. Other than seeing a Maine driver's license and getting scared outta their panties, (which is fine.... I don't blame them), is there any truth to this being illegal? If it is, then by all means it's nothing I want to do, I'm just trying to find something in writing that says one way or another.

Thanks guys,
Chris

Post subject: Re: Non-Resident buying a firearm?
New postPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 13:27 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Never mind... did some more research and answered my own question...

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

And for those that have trouble understanding awkwardly worded laws like me..... Scottsdale Gun Club spells it right out!

• An Arizona resident may then take possession of the firearm. Non-residents need to comply with several additional criteria:

• the firearm must be legally possessible in the buyer's state of residence
• the transaction must be legal in the purchaser's state of residence
• Immediate possession of long guns is allowed if this is allowed in the state of residence

http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/faq/purchasing_firearms.php