"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently February 17th, 2018, 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Post subject: Re: SAR Show December 2, 3 4 2016
New postPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 6:47 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Does anyone know if Sig Sauer is there? I need a folding brace for a pistol. And some other toys.

Thanks
Thom

100 club
NRA lifer
AZCDL

New postPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 7:26 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Thom wrote:
Does anyone know if Sig Sauer is there? I need a folding brace for a pistol. And some other toys.

Thanks
Thom

Yeah, they were in the SAR building on the far west wall towards the north end. I can't tell you if they were selling or just setup for display. I heard them talking to people about checking out Merchant in Awatukee.

New postPosted: December 3rd, 2016, 7:54 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

If you are looking for a machine-gun to buy, you will be disappointed!

New postPosted: December 3rd, 2016, 1:30 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

True. It is only a viewer's building, but interesting. The rest of the show is the same old crap.

New postPosted: December 3rd, 2016, 1:46 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I went and glad I did. Saw a few friends I hadn't seen in awhile, met fellow distinguished rifleman John Mathis (you can look him up on the CMP website) and on the way out met with and spent some time with Kody Brown and his son Garrison. Garrison is home on leave having just finished basic training at the Benning School for Boys.

Oh, and I met Hairy Eyeball. Was a pleasure to speak with you Duke.

As for deals there were quite a few. I scored enough on the things I was interested in to cover the cost of admission plus my half of the parking (went with 308guy).

Not sure if I'll go back tomorrow or not. I saw a few more things I wouldn't mind having plus we didn't finish. Didn't get into the buildings between the main bldg and the SAR bldg. nor did we go through the tents in between. Just not enough time.

SAR bldg. was fine. Saw some things I hadn't seen in awhile.

All in all it was a good day and glad I went.

New postPosted: December 4th, 2016, 11:52 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Just got back. Berry's 230 Grain Plated RN for $99.95/1,000, Berry's 124 Grain Plated RN for $69.95/1,000

The .45s are a savings of $44.00/1,000 compared to buying from Berry's and the 9MMs are a saving of $23.00/1,000

So, since I bought 2K of each, I saved a total of $134.00, enough to pay admission and parking for 3 gun shows for me and Mrs. Flash.

Also bought a few things from The Wilderness at their usual discounted show prices $20.00/each OTD for magazine holders, we bought two and that's a savings of $9.95 each, and also luggage marking tags, 2 sets of two for $5.00, a savings of $1.95 each.

As I said, there is a ton of savings to be had if you can use a lot of different things and keep your eyes open.

New postPosted: December 4th, 2016, 3:18 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

I got a few small doo-dads for very reasonable prices. The one gun I would have bought was from a private seller who took cash only and it was more than I could get out of an ATM in one day. There was exactly one table with decent deals on police turn-in SIGs and Glocks, but they were from out of state, so could only do shipping and then transfer. Some good eye candy and I got my $19 worth of looking around.

New postPosted: December 4th, 2016, 3:35 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Following up; saw lots of Garands. Some were fairly priced. Others were ridiculously priced. Also saw three National Match Garands along with a couple of National Match 1911s. All were fairly priced.

Saw 2 StG44s one of which was a prop. The other was real. Lots of M1 Carbines. Manufacturers represented included IBM, National Postal Meter and Saginaw. LOTS of Saginaws. Almost all appeared to be in good to great shape and most were fairly priced. A few stupid priced ones.

Didn't run into any of the "Garand certified by Duff but I don't have the letter to provide it" types. Oh, serial numbers ranged from low 5 digits all the way up to a 6M serial number so that one would have been from the final year of production.

A friend of mine who just got back from 3 years in Malaysia scored a genuine Hitler Youth .22 rimfire training rifle along with the matching bayonet! Rifle and bayonet both were in fabulous shape and complete with all of the Nazi markings.

As I said in the other thread was glad to have gone. Well worth the price. Kind of wish I had gone back today. Probably would have scored a couple more deals.

New postPosted: December 4th, 2016, 5:11 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Sold an Desert Eagle 44 and bought a Sterling Mk6 (genuine British made) and a S&W 422 that had the threaded adapter. Yeah I like weird stuff.

New postPosted: December 4th, 2016, 6:31 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Went Friday, for the first time. It worked out for me, as I was able to score off one of the tables. Glad I went. The traffic on I 10 was ugly going back though. Almost an hour from 7th Ave. to Buckeye.

New postPosted: December 4th, 2016, 6:50 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Now add up the cost of travel, parking, entry, time, a Coke or two, and the hassle of sorting through all the non-gun crap to buying online or a private sale on this very forum. Did your score really save you money? I went for years and had fun until the owner turned it into a circus of clowns.

New postPosted: December 4th, 2016, 10:35 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

AZ Husker wrote:
Now add up the cost of travel, parking, entry, time, a Coke or two, and the hassle of sorting through all the non-gun crap to buying online or a private sale on this very forum. Did your score really save you money? I went for years and had fun until the owner turned it into a circus of clowns.

Shhhhh, Tracey, there are 2 guys trying, with all their might, to persuade us that the gun shows are still relevant.

Gun shows aren't like they were 20 years ago. In 1996 I scored the only Kimber I own at the gun show. It was a brand new Stainless Pro Carry from the guy that owned 1911 Heaven for $600 out the door. Those days are looooong gone.

The gun show is a good place if you want to wander around to look and fondle a lot guns. If you are looking for a good deal on a gun, you won't find it there. Most people don't shoot enough to invest a lot of money for reloading equipment and then learn that new hobby, so most won't benefit from the savings on Berrys boolits.

Gun shows have turned into bazaars where they sell a bunch crap not even firearm related that you could find if you drove through some of the alleys in town. Most of the private sellers are nothing more than gypsies that follow the gun show circuit in their broken down Chrysler Aries K.

There was one board member who said he bought a Glock from Glockmeister for $50 off their regular price because of the gun show is so full of shit. I have always stopped by GM's booth and their pistol prices were ALWAYS the same as if you walked into their retail locations. Always.

Jeff from Bear Arms used to have really, really good prices, but that was 15 years ago or more

I do like to go to the SAR show, but last year was really weak and disappointing, although I did buy $250 worth of HK91 stuff from RTG, and was very happy with my purchases. I didn't even bother this year, because I knew it was going to suck worse than last year.

If this was just blatantly off-topic, I wouldn't have done anything, but you put it in the classified ads...

New postPosted: December 5th, 2016, 5:11 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I go to the SAR Show to check out the class three stuff. I believe that is what the Small Arms Review show started as. Now it is just a giant gun show with lots of crapola for sale and hardly any machineguns and MG parts! For what ever reason, the SAR building had lots of none class 3 stuff and they might as well of had them under a small tent. Plus lots of tables had sheets covering them. Where the hell were you vendors? Don't come to the show if you CAN'T come to the show! Very disappointing. I thought all the class three dealers from all over were supposed to be at these SAR shows? What happened? I had missed the SAR show for the last couple of years now and I most likely will miss it again for a few years.
I couldn't even find a buy on a pistol I have been contemplating on buying. Prices the same as your local gun shop! What a waste of time & money! [smilie=anim_pissed.gif]

New postPosted: December 5th, 2016, 5:31 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I went and enjoyed myself, but I always do. I wasn't able to make it last year, so I was glad to be in town for this one. I didn't pick up much; just a magazine for a friend and an inert 30mm round for the collection (that I didn't need, but too cheap to pass up). What I wanted was out of reach financially, and even though I tried to talk myself into a few other items, I didn't drag any new guns home. Almost though... I was hoping to find a live barrel for my ZB-53 at a reasonable price, but didn't see one. I keep drooling over the M2HB parts & kits, but I suspect I'll always be chasing that dream.

As for the non-gun items at the show, it's a bit aggravating, but they must be making some money from someone or else they wouldn't show. One thing I have noticed a decline on (unless I missed it) are the guys with all the KKK and Nazi memorabilia. So I guess that's a plus (unless you collect that type of stuff).

For me, I always feel like I get my money's worth even if I don't buy anything; especially at this particular show; I spend more than that going to the movies.

-WRM

And John: I didn't see or hear of any "Duff-certified" Garands, but I did overhear someone touting their CMP special-grade as "new/unfired WWII surplus." [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

New postPosted: December 5th, 2016, 5:52 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

WRMorrison wrote:
And John: I didn't see or hear of any "Duff-certified" Garands, but I did overhear someone touting their CMP special-grade as "new/unfired WWII surplus." [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

LOL! That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

AS for the others who have commented; I don't think anyone is trying to convince you one way or another that gun shows are still relevant. Yeah, there is a bunch of crap there but there are deals to be had if you are willing to look for them. I did alright for what I ended up getting. My primary objective this weekend was entertainment and that was achieved. Seeing some old friends I hadn't seen for awhile was another. Seeing the friend who scored the Hitler Youth training rifle.....big bonus. Kody Brown.....yet another.

Sure, the SAR building had less Class III than in previous years but it was also substantially less crowded. I didn't have to fight crowds or work my way through a herd or two of fat asses blocking the already narrow walkways while they drool over stuff or just drool in general. The tent area from what I saw was just as bad and appeared to be even narrower aisles that previously.

I did not buy any overpriced watered down Cokes nor did I get any of the questionably cooked food. I did notice the beer lines for overpriced beer was moving faster than the food lines.

Templeton is an ass and I did see more and more signs marking where you could not sell guns so the private guys walking around were pretty well restricted. I did see Alan Korwin and he had a small crowd. I did notice several dealers who were no longer there. Jeff at Bear Arms hasn't been with Bear Arms in at least 10 plus years now. Oh, and their tables have moved as well. One guy had very overpriced M1 oprods while another had oprods priced as they should be.

I miss the days when Ken Elmore was there and when AZEX would have his tables loaded with FALs. I miss seeing his wares there. Didn't see King Joey there this year as well. Oh, I remember when SOG was there. Didn't see that guy this year either. He is one I definitely don't miss.

All in all I got out of it exactly what I was hoping to get. Will I go again in the future? Probably? Will it be in the immediate future? Probably not.