All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Ever go to "Pet Club" ?
New postPosted: November 13th, 2017, 5:03 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

I stopped there today, to check out what kind of quality dog food they carry.

BIG MISTAKE ........... I waked out of there even more confused than when I went in. OMG, I never imagined there were that many different kinds of food.

They have food made from just about everything, including kangaroo [smilie=icon_eek.gif]

Seems like the average price for the good stuff (if you buy the 30 lb. bags), runs around 2 bucks per pound. Of course they have some that runs more than twice that.

I'm spending a bit more than a buck a pound now, for food that I think his decent. Grain free, etc. Not that Purina Dog Chow, Pedigree, or Beneful shit.

Our dog food consumption is a lot less than it used to be, when we had 2 rottweilers, and a bullmastiff, but it's still considerable. We now have a 100 lb. lab, and a 70 lb. pit mix.

Going to go back again soon with my wife, and look around a lot more. Will probably upgrade somewhat.

Sometimes too large of a selection makes you crazy. Maybe we'll get the kangaroo, and see if the dogs start hopping around, and kicking each other :p

Post subject: Re: Ever go to "Pet Club" ?
New postPosted: November 13th, 2017, 5:31 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

What if it gives them explosive diarrhea?

No Excreta Taures.

New postPosted: November 13th, 2017, 5:52 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Yup, if it's the one by Goodwill in Surprise, I go there. The wife and I get their Canidae for the Chihuahua. She was overweight, would get seizures, would hurt her hind quarters jumping off couch even sometimes with the old food.

We were going to them when off Bell by 303, before they moved. 1.5 years later, she's way down in weight(as in the "sweet spot" per Vet), hasn't had another episode, hasn't hurt herself and if I didn't know better, I'd think we added 10 more years on her life.

That new place is where we'll keep going as long as they keep carrying what is working.

P.S. that Canidae stuff really makes cleaning up after them a breeze, too.

New postPosted: November 13th, 2017, 6:36 pm 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Hellsing76 wrote:
Yup, if it's the one by Goodwill in Surprise, I go there. The wife and I get their Canidae for the Chihuahua. She was overweight, would get seizures, would hurt her hind quarters jumping off couch even sometimes with the old food.

We were going to them when off Bell by 303, before they moved. 1.5 years later, she's way down in weight(as in the "sweet spot" per Vet), hasn't had another episode, hasn't hurt herself and if I didn't know better, I'd think we added 10 more years on her life.

That new place is where we'll keep going as long as they keep carrying what is working.

P.S. that Canidae stuff really makes cleaning up after them a breeze, too.

If all we had was one Chihuahua, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the best food available. Money would be no object.

Tell me: How long would a 30 pound bag of food last you? We go through appx 100 pounds every 6 weeks

New postPosted: November 13th, 2017, 7:46 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Ha, true. Apples to really small oranges.... we'll say cuties.

Wife's "dog" runs $3/lb(+ tax) at 4lbs a month with her brand. Not trying to compare, just did some research in our case with some guidance from the Vet and the particular place you asked about had the brand we wanted to try, was the closest and cheapest for the brand. Just my experience.

I just have a hard time with the wife wanting to bring the little chickens home.

New postPosted: November 13th, 2017, 8:56 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

One thing to consider, buy the food for the Breed, job. Different breeds need different nourishment, also different jobs require different mix. Also as dog ages, less active, cut carbs, generally around 7 years, but again depends on breed.

Also do Internet check on brand for recalls and such, many use Chinese additives to increase profits, many a Pet been killed or permanently damaged, kidney's and such. Also many Salmonella and such

The most expensive is not always the best

New postPosted: November 13th, 2017, 11:53 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Which grain free food are you currently feeding at a buck a lb and why do you feel the need to switch? Any known allergies with the pups?

New postPosted: November 14th, 2017, 6:45 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

In the USA we spend more on pets than most people in 3rd world countries earn at their jobs. Of course they don't buy toilet paper, deodorant, soap, shampoo, cars, gas, homes, airline tickets, smart phones and not even pets.

I blow my dog food money at Petsmart. Haven't been to Pet Club but it sounds about the same. More choices than there are dog breeds. I just have a hard time believing that there are blue berries, apples and vine grown tomatoes in my choice of dog food. No grains of course. God forbid my dog would eat what I eat.

New postPosted: November 14th, 2017, 6:59 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Pet-club, Petco, PetSmart there all the same towards dog food.

New postPosted: November 14th, 2017, 8:16 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

Some food is more filling so they eat less and crap less. I have a pit and a mastiff. Shrinking land bombs in the back yard is a big plus. If it's 2x the cost but it lasts 2X longer its worth a few dollars. However now there are so many and designer foods. We feed a quality food at a reasonable price. We won't spend extra unless there is a benefit. Just like us taco bell causes you to crap more and you are snacking before dinner cause it didn't last.

New postPosted: November 14th, 2017, 8:44 am 
AZS Regular
AZS Regular

azgunlover69 wrote:
Which grain free food are you currently feeding at a buck a lb and why do you feel the need to switch? Any known allergies with the pups?

I'm a bit anal with what I've been feeding them. I have had no issues, so you may be right, there is no reason to switch.

Here's my procedure: I have a large galvanized trash can. I go to Costco, and get the shiny red bag, and the shiny yellow bag (I think one is beef and rice, and the other is turkey). Then I go to Sam's Club, and buy a bag of the salmon and green pea. I open all 3 bags around my galvanized pail, and scoop one scoop from each bag into the pail stirring it around to blend all 3 foods together.

Been doing this for a few years. No allergy issues. Stool is firm, and actually doesn't smell too bad.

It's not broke, so I guess it don't need fixin' . I guess I was just overwhelmed, seeing all that got food.

New postPosted: November 14th, 2017, 9:37 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Lol I hear ya. There are lots of options. Key is to look at the first 4 or 5 ingredients and know what those ingredients are. Chicken meal is thought of as a bad item in foods, where it actually maintains more nutritional value than plain chicken. The meal is just the process of dehydratingredients the product prior to processing.

New postPosted: November 14th, 2017, 12:43 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

I don't know if you have one by you, but if there is a Humane Society Thrift Store nearby, they have great deals.
Basically people donate to them, and they are overstocked and just sell it for pretty cheap.
Sometimes there is really pricey stuff there for cheap too.
Good if your dog is not picky and can switch between foods.

New postPosted: November 14th, 2017, 2:45 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

Location: Phuk roof top voting machines. My radical right wing extreemists and I are moving on to Guillotines
I thought you were talking adult stuff. Lol.

New postPosted: November 14th, 2017, 3:23 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

Thats why people should own cats. go to Safeway pick up the cheapest bag of cat food you can find toss it in a bowl and be done with it. if hey dont like it they can go out and catch a bird bug, or lizzard.
for water they drink it out of the kids toilet or get it from the sprinklers around the hood.
we been doing it that way for 30+ years oldest cat just passed away hard food no milk, toilet water and a ocassional bird damn thing was 22-24 years old when we put it to sleep. Kids new cat goes through a big bag of food once every 2 weeks its a pig, eats a ton of bugs lizzards and birds and leaves the left overs on my bed.

cats = no mess, no fuss, no barking all night long, they walk themselves and they dont give a crap about what your saying to them. but the best part about it is no one gives a crap if its outside during the summer or winter or if a car runs over it, no vet bills and they can amuse themselves ;)

Delw